Define "Loaded"

I know this has been discussed before but I have not found any threads with a firm answer to this question: What is the definition of "loaded"? This question relates to correct storage both at home and in a vehicle. Does a full magazine stored adjacent to but not installed in a pistol count? How about a speedloader and a revolver? Is a pistol loaded if a full magazine is installed but the chamber is empty? I hope this does not seem like splitting hairs but I think this would be legally important.

Chris

ChristosX said:
I know this has been discussed before but I have not found any threads with a firm answer to this question: What is the definition of "loaded"? This question relates to correct storage both at home and in a vehicle. Does a full magazine stored adjacent to but not installed in a pistol count? How about a speedloader and a revolver? Is a pistol loaded if a full magazine is installed but the chamber is empty? I hope this does not seem like splitting hairs but I think this would be legally important.

Chris

Here's my take:
Does a full magazine stored adjacent to but not installed in a pistol count? NO
How about a speedloader and a revolver? NO- unless the rounds are in the cylinder.
Is a pistol loaded if a full magazine is installed but the chamber is empty? Absolutely

IMO- bullets anywhere inside the gun= LOADED.

Loaded? For me it's a six pack of Bud and a coupla shots of Jack.

The definition I'd suggest for "Loaded" in terms of firearms would be a round or rounds in gun.

I would not want to split hairs by suggesting that a semi-auto with a loaded mag in the gun but nothing in the chamber was not a loaded gun. This is a difficult sell, particularly if judge, jury and prosecutor are not gunnies.

Risk-takers, or those caught in a jam, such as having been caught with a loaded handgun left in an unoccupied vehicle, may decide to adopt a more expansive view.

Last edited:
ChristosX said:
Is a pistol loaded if a full magazine is installed but the chamber is empty?

Chris

This was meant to be an exaggeration. I would also consider this condition "loaded". What about the other situations mentioned?

Chris

ChristosX said:
I know this has been discussed before but I have not found any threads with a firm answer to this question: What is the definition of "loaded"? This question relates to correct storage both at home and in a vehicle. Does a full magazine stored adjacent to but not installed in a pistol count?

I think not.

How about a speedloader and a revolver?

No.

Is a pistol loaded if a full magazine is installed but the chamber is empty?

Yes.

By the way, it is perfectly legal in MA to securely store a loaded firearm in a building, so long as you have the firearms license necessary to possess it.

Back
Top Bottom