Loaded gun in locked box

Matt2109

NES Life Member
NES Member
Question for the NES lawyers:

I have a loaded gun in a locked container screwed to the wall. This, I am pretty sure is legal, my question is, can I (legally) hide a key nearby for said locked box, or do I need to keep the key on my person to be legal.

No children in the home, only the wife and I, both unrestricted LTC-A holders.

What say you guys?????

I'd get a small, keypad access locking safe, like a small Stack-on type. There's no key needed for emergency entry, but is used as back-up entry if battery dies in unit. They are also wall mountable.
I've heard people who have the fingerprint access safes have trouble with them.
Good luck!

You can put the key wherever you like.

Prudence states you might want to hide it a little distance away, I would not want someone breaking in and finding the key while tearing up the general area around the safe.

As the second post said, your best bet is a quick access safe.

Agree with the combo stuff, and plan on 'hiding' some other guns in my house in small safes with combo locks. This particular gun would be in the basement in an electrical enclosure box with a key lock (i.e. cheap and I can disguise it with an indicator light or two and maybe a label. I understand the basics about quick access etc. Just want to make sure I do not run afoul of the law with the hidden key. The hidden key would be probably 10 ft away and pretty well hidden......

All opinions welcome!

Depends what your purpose is.
If you just want to comply to the law, you are fine. Nobody can 'question' your judgement of where you hid your key unless it is blatantly on the lock.
Several people I know keep their safe combination at the universal code of '0000'

Now if you are really concerned about intruders, or some visitor's kid finding the key, hen I would recommend one of those combo key locks.

I thought you had to store ammo in a seperate container? Is it or is it not legal to have a loaded handgun in a locked safe in MA?

Depends what your purpose is.
If you just want to comply to the law, you are fine. Nobody can 'question' your judgement of where you hid your key unless it is blatantly on the lock.
Several people I know keep their safe combination at the universal code of '0000'

Now if you are really concerned about intruders, or some visitor's kid finding the key, hen I would recommend one of those combo key locks.

That sums it up, I simply want to comply with the law. No kids, and because it would be an electrical type box, it does not scream, "look I have a gun inside" to an intruder. But can be locked and is inexpensive. It seems that the consensus is that while probably not the most secure storage, it would be legal???

I thought you had to store ammo in a seperate container? Is it or is it not legal to have a loaded handgun in a locked safe in MA?

No and yes, respectively. OK in a locked container in a building. Questionable at best (and probably would be deemed illegal by PD, DA and judge) to leave a loaded handgun in a locked container in a motor vehicle.

As you specifically asked about storage inside a dwelling, there's nothing in the law about where or how you keep your key. Considering the storage law isn't to prevent theft (you can use a trigger lock and put the pistol in a drawer), I wouldn't be concerned about it.
Are you expecting a search of the premises in the future?

FWIW, I'd use a Simplex lockbox

How exactly does the law define container? Can I just hide one in some old luggage that's in the basement. It's got one of those "tsa compatible" locks built in.
Or does it have to be a generally fixed object like a box or cabinet?

A locked container is a locked container. The plastic box that a new gun comes in, with a lock, laying on the kitchen counter is compliant. So, a locked piece of luggage would also be compliant.

Of course the guy in Lowell who had a concrete vault (described as "very secure" by a local cop) that was broken into still got jammed up.

My point? Comply with the law, but do so in a way that makes you comfortable. A security cabinet from Wally World may be all you want, or a safe that could defeat Commies looking for nuclear secrets may be your minimum.

It's like choosing a carry piece - your right answer may not be that of another.

I'm still looking for the MA statue that specifies distance and placement of the key..... I can't find it. Anyone?

I do not think you will find one, but there is case law that keeping the key in the lock or next to the safe was not sufficient.

I'm still looking for the MA statue that specifies distance and placement of the key..... I can't find it. Anyone?

Sarcasm alert!

The rule is you are supposed to give Martha your keys. In case of emergency she will decide if your situation warrants you needing to get to your firearm. If she finds you worthy the key will be mailed to you via US mail.

Sarcasm over.

Sarcasm alert!

The rule is you are supposed to give Martha your keys. In case of emergency she will decide if your situation warrants you needing to get to your firearm. If she finds you worthy the key will be mailed to you via US mail.

Sarcasm over.

LOL

Back
Top Bottom