Deer or Moose Antler?

Ungulates have been known to carry antlers all year long due to injury or genetic defect. Some does have large racks that never shed. I agree it is more than likely a juvy moose.

Probably just a shed deer antler that was just coincidentally on the ground near the location of the accident. Probably was shed earlier in the year by a different animal than was involved in that accident.

deer? looks like a cow horn lol thats not really that big ive seen bigger and better cow horns than that one. Looks like either a buck on his way back down or always a cow horn.

yes its just a deer shed

maybe they hit a moose i can't tell you, but one thing i can see is that its just a shed from a deer.

would make a real nice knife handle though.

The only thing thats makes me wonder is that I have found sheds before but this time of year usually they have been nibbled on by rodents.

good call but not always. I have found that finding them after they been down for a while there either nibbled on or moldy or both... it does kind of look like there is some mold starting on that shed but without a better quality pic you really can't be positive on the mold part.. but id say it hasn’t been nibbled.

what I found to be fishy was she said it was a moose and I don't think it was a new born that would probably be the size of a deer and if it was a year old it would be something I would not call small, young yea but not small... for the damage discription being call minimal? it sounds like it was hit head on bumper hood and windshield crack? something makes me wonder if this animal she hit exists but who knows she might be one of the luckiest people in the world.

He and others on the street said they see deer in the area all the time. The accident occurred in the area of the Spaulding Turnpike overpass, and Hurlbut said turnpike construction has slowly pushed deer into the residential area.

"(My wife) sees them once or twice a week," said Vernon Boisvert, who was watching television with Hurlbut and others when they noticed flashing lights outside his home at 112 Chestnut Hill Road.
Deer and case of not knowing the difference between the two. There are plenty of deer in Rochester but moose is a rarity. If that antler was from a moose it was some kind of mutant.

Deer and case of not knowing the difference between the two. There are plenty of deer in Rochester but moose is a rarity. If that antler was from a moose it was some kind of mutant.

Not really, I would say the same thing about if it was a deer, I HAVE seen moose with long single spikes I HAVE NOT seen deer with 16" single spikes. But, an older deer can sometimes have funky antlers, so in theory it could be either an old deer on the decline like somebody else said but I would guess a year and a half old moose with just spikes. My dad shot a small moose 6 or 8 years ago with very similar antlers to that.

Also, I've found drops before during hunting season (November) from the previous year that weren't nibbled or moldy, it can happen if the critters don't find them it's just more common they get chewed.

Back
Top Bottom