• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dedham tree trimmer faces armed neighbor on job

commodon

NES Member
Alright, which NES'r is without his LTC tonight?

It happened around 7:30 a.m. Wednesday on Whitehall Street.

Nick Cushman, who owns Cushman Tree, was hired by a customer there to cut some tree limbs.

He told Boston 25 News that he asked to park his bucket truck on a next-door neighbor’s property to get the work done.

However, he said it turned into a big problem after the limbs began coming down.

I cut off one of the limbs. The other one snapped and broke off and went up against his house and scratched his house,” said Cushman.

Within two minutes, the father opened the window,” he said. “Yelled out the window, you f’n piece of garbage. I’m gunna come down there. I’m gunna kill you. You’re a piece of [expletive]!

Cushman claims a gun was pointed at his head shortly after the homeowner exited the house. He said he did not back down despite the tense situation.

He goes, you don’t think I’ll pull it? I said no, you won’t pull it cause if you pull it you better make sure I’m down… cause if I get up, I will pick you up and throw you in this chipper,” said Cushman.

By the time officers responded, police said the homeowner put the gun away. Dedham Police told Boston 25 News that his license to carry firearms has since been suspended. Dedham Police are recommending charges for both men. A charge of assault by means of a dangerous weapon has been submitted to District Court for armed homeowner who had his license to carry suspended. A charge of threatening to commit a crime has been submitted for Cushman.

1702007755187.png

From Dedham tree trimmer faces armed neighbor on job

Charges against the tree guy are total bs. He’s unarmed trying to do his job and being threatened by some DB w/a gun.

Mass has gotten so bad it’s now illegal to even defend yourself verbally against being shot. Sadly hilarious.

In my business, neighbor and property line disputes are a common occurrence and just a fact of life, but 90% of them are avoidable by simply talking to the neighbor.
It should start with the neighbors. What kind of neighbor does not simply knock on the door or catch up with his neighbor doing yard work and say.. "Hey Joe, I hired a tree guy to trim some stuff so it doesn't come down in a storm and smash into your house"?

A couple of years ago, my neighbor shot me a text... "Having some trees trimmed on the property line to make it easier to back my boat into the back yard. There are couple of limbs from trees on your side I would like to have him trim." "Just wanted to ask if that was OK"
I replied " Thanks for the heads up, no problem"
Came home to the tree guy doing some needed tree work on my property for free. I tried to throw him a few hundred bucks and he wouldn't have it.

A few years before that, opposite side of the yard, a tree came down on the property line, right across my driveway. I saw it when heading out to work, but didnt have time to deal with it so just moved it off the driveway. Came home and that neighbor cut it into 18" pieces and stacked it. I sent him a text to thank him and to tell him I would pick it up after he had a chance to split it! LOL. He would also accept no cash. Both neighbors got a batch of my wife's famous Toll House cookies.

I'm surprised the tree guy was not more proactive and did not try to speak to the abutter before hand...

In my business, neighbor and property line disputes are a common occurrence and just a fact of life, but 90% of them are avoidable by simply talking to the neighbor.
It should start with the neighbors. What kind of neighbor does not simply knock on the door or catch up with his neighbor doing yard work and say.. "Hey Joe, I hired a tree guy to trim some stuff so it doesn't come down in a storm and smash into your house"?

A couple of years ago, my neighbor shot me a text... "Having some trees trimmed on the property line to make it easier to back my boat into the back yard. There are couple of limbs from trees on your side I would like to have him trim." "Just wanted to ask if that was OK"
Came home to the tree guy doing some needed tree work on my property for free. I tried to throw him a few hundred bucks and he wouldn't have it.

A few years before that, opposite side of the yard, a tree came down on the property line, right across my driveway. I saw it when heading out to work, but didnt have time to deal with it so just moved it off the driveway. Came home and that neighbor cut it into 18" pieces and stacked it. I sent him a text to thank him and to tell him I would pick it up after he had a chance to split it! LOL. He would also accept no cash. Both neighbors got a batch of my wife's famous Toll House cookies.

I'm surprised the tree guy was not more proactive and did not try to speak to the abutter before hand...
Said he did

He asked if he could park there

Article makes it sound like he did talk to the neighbor to get permission to put his bucket truck on the property

world went to shit when a limb hit the house and caused damage - I'm certain there's more to the story since I doubt the owner went from perfectly fine to park there to I'll kill you over damage the insurance would make right.

Some people are such a**h***s. I had a neighbor take down a large oak several years ago. Tree was so close to property line, I assumed it could be mine or theirs. Didn't worry too much about that tree. One day I hear chain saws. I look out. WTF some guy is taking the tree down! I go out, find out what's up. I took a look at my plot plan. The base of that tree trunk was literally 1"...yes 1" from my property line (and only 10 feet from side of my house!). So the root system, and much of the canopy was in/over my property. I was pretty pissed. Terrible neighbor. Not a knock at the door, nothing. He was lucky I didn't sue. I had no particular fondness for the tree so let it go. There were other issues with this jerk, but this was one of the bigger ones. That DB later sold, so now we have a nice, but very liberal couple next door.

Some people are such a**h***s. I had a neighbor take down a large oak several years ago. Tree was so close to property line, I assumed it could be mine or theirs. Didn't worry too much about that tree. One day I hear chain saws. I look out. WTF some guy is taking the tree down! I go out, find out what's up. I took a look at my plot plan. The base of that tree trunk was literally 1"...yes 1" from my property line (and only 10 feet from side of my house!). So the root system, and much of the canopy was in/over my property. I was pretty pissed. Terrible neighbor. Not a knock at the door, nothing. He was lucky I didn't sue. I had no particular fondness for the tree so let it go. There were other issues with this jerk, but this was one of the bigger ones. That DB later sold, so now we have a nice, but very liberal couple next door.
If the trunk was less than 50% over the line, it was his to do with what he wanted - Only thing he should have done is tell you that he's taking it down and may need temporary access to your land to prevent damage and for debris cleanup.

A large oak 10' from your home is a blessing to have removed

Don't usually want to mess with tree guys all the ones I know are a bit crazy and strong as a ox
I mean yes they are.. but as someone said god made man sam colt made em equal

Now I'm also probably not shooting someone over that shit either but lol

Don't usually want to mess with tree guys all the ones I know are a bit crazy and strong as a ox

They hang from ropes with chainsaws, definitely a bit unhinged to do that 😆 (I worked for a tree company throughout college). One local tree guy I know was cutting a limb and the saw kicked back and cut his rope, dropped 25-30 feet onto a stonewall and broke his back (I am sure he was not using "proper procedure"). Nowadays I think everyone uses cranes (plus bucket trucks, of course).

If the trunk was less than 50% over the line, it was his to do with what he wanted - Only thing he should have done is tell you that he's taking it down and may need temporary access to your land to prevent damage and for debris cleanup.

A large oak 10' from your home is a blessing to have removed
That may be, but still a big douchebag move not talking to me. At my prior home I had a neighbor knock on my door to ask me if I minded if he took a tree down on his side that was probably a 5-6" trunk. That's what a decent neighbor does.

I had two occasions where neighbors contractors wanted to use my yard.

Once, it was for work nextdoor. They told me they would "repair any damage" if I let them drive over my lawn, and I really get alond with the neighbor so OK. They totally destroyed the side lawn, trucked in topsoil to even it out, reseeded and all was well. Even hired them as landscapers.

On another occasion a crane doing tree maintenance had its outriggers on my driveway - without asking. I went out to talk to tree guys - they were polite, apologized for not asking, and asked if they could finish. They assured me it would not crack the driveway. I told them they could (also get along well with the neighbor on that side) but the driveway is in perfect shape and if it cracks, they will be paying for a full repave, not a crack repair. Hmm.... this can't crack your drive .... followed by immediately moving the equipment when I told them how I would handle a crack. Also had great video of that area so I would be able to prove if they did any damage.

Last edited:
pull a gun to threaten anyone is dumb move.

for a tree people to tresspass, park their shit with no permission, then cut off chunk and drop it on a wrong house claiming later 'it snapped' - extremely typical. as they simply don`t give a shit.

That may be, but still a big douchebag move not talking to me. At my prior home I had a neighbor knock on my door to ask me if I minded if he took a tree down on his side that was probably a 5-6" trunk. That's what a decent neighbor does.
Concur - I notified my neighbor when taking down trees for my solar that were 15-20' from the property line.
His only concern was that it was done by an insured company since the trees were all mature pines and oaks that were tall enough to hit our homes if dropped incorrectly.

for a tree people to tresspass, park their shit with no permission, then cut off chunk and drop it on a wrong house claiming later 'it snapped' - extremely typical. as they simply don`t give a shit.

I'd agree, but when they interviewed the tree guy on the news he said he got permission to park his truck on the neighbor property and it was all good until a branch hit his house.
Of course, that's his side of the story, so who know for sure.

Still, if a tree guy is parked on my property and a limb hits my house. I'm taking video and pictures and asking the guy for his insurance. If he's not bonded and insured, then I'm talking to my neighbor and getting his insurance to pay for my new siding. No way, I'm pulling a gun for something like that.

They hang from ropes with chainsaws, definitely a bit unhinged to do that 😆 (I worked for a tree company throughout college). One local tree guy I know was cutting a limb and the saw kicked back and cut his rope, dropped 25-30 feet onto a stonewall and broke his back (I am sure he was not using "proper procedure"). Nowadays I think everyone uses cranes (plus bucket trucks, of course).
A few weeks ago, tree company was cutting down trees behind the neighbor's house, crane in the driveway. Guy with chainsaw just hooked up to the crane hook (somehow) and got lifted up and over the house (and pool) to get to the offending trees. Probably 80 feet above the ground before he went over the house. I watched them do it a few times.

I'd agree, but when they interviewed the tree guy on the news he said he got permission to park his truck on the neighbor property and it was all good until a branch hit his house.
Of course, that's his side of the story, so who know for sure.

Still, if a tree guy is parked on my property and a limb hits my house. I'm taking video and pictures and asking the guy for his insurance. If he's not bonded and insured, then I'm talking to my neighbor and getting his insurance to pay for my new siding. No way, I'm pulling a gun for something like that.
last summer similar shit happened to people just across the road. all happened while owners of the house were at work, then came back to find a hole in the roof. a lot of fun.
from what i know they did not get a penny from no one involved, all had to go from their own insurance, they tried to litigate, but i did not ask them again of the outcome.

but it is town, so houses are extremely close to one another.

Even letting someone know you are armed is a bad move.

1. They can freak out and imagine things. OMG a gun!!!! (even if peacefully holstered, you are speaking calmly and not reaching for it)

2. You give the other party the ability revoke your LTC and make you spend thousands in legal fees. Just look at this case - it is only the word of the tree guy, and everyone on NES seems to be accepting that the threat occurred in the manner a witness with a vested interest in the conflict has described it.

Last edited:
Even letting someone know you are armed is a bad move.

1. They can freak out and imagine things. OMG a gun!!!! (even if peacefully holstered, you are speaking calmly and not reaching for it)

2. You give the other party the ability revoke you LTC and make you spend thousands in legal fees. Just look at this case - it is only the word of the tree gun, and everyone on NES seems to be accepting that the threat occurred in the manner a witness with a vested interest in the conflict has described it.
not too different from the most of the whole world listening exclusively to hamas spokespersons describing their vision of how it all took place. :rolleyes:

View: https://twitter.com/euronews/status/1729153812726968753

Back
Top Bottom