• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dedham Police Officer Arrested In Connection With Avon Kidnapping

fascinating and unfortunate story.
hopefully this LEO didn't have any knowledge of the kidnapping....i guess we shall see.

that being said, I'm glad the LEO can now keep a collapsible stock and bayonet lug on his rifle.

Oh and I'm glad bail was set to $5k, because that seems appropriate for kidnapping/murder......dude if I got arrested for trespassing the bail would be $5k. what a joke. crap-ass CBS reports the other defendants are now "behind bars" but with respect to the LEO involved they seem perfectly content with the courts accepting a ****ing pez dispenser and box of cookies for bail.

Last edited:
Something doesn't compute here!

When this happened, it was reported that 2 people posed as Constables to kidnap the man. Constable badges don't look anything like a Dedham Police badge!! My state Constables assn. was contacted and all of us were notified to ask if we knew anything or who these 2 Constables might be. If you listen to this news clip, again the state that they posed as Constables.

As for the officer, even if he knew nothing about what these guys were about to do, he should lose his job and career. NO respectable LEO loans their badges and issued cuffs to anyone else who is not a fellow officer, period. Cuffs are serial numbered and you are accountable for them as your employer's property.

Lastly, the story says that he loaned them to a man that sold him "pills"!! So we have a junkie cop buying pills on the street. Again he doesn't deserve to have any job in law enforcement unless it was cleaning PD toilets under direct supervision!!

Something doesn't compute here!

When this happened, it was reported that 2 people posed as Constables to kidnap the man. Constable badges don't look anything like a Dedham Police badge!! My state Constables assn. was contacted and all of us were notified to ask if we knew anything or who these 2 Constables might be. If you listen to this news clip, again the state that they posed as Constables.

As for the officer, even if he knew nothing about what these guys were about to do, he should lose his job and career. NO respectable LEO loans their badges and issued cuffs to anyone else who is not a fellow officer, period. Cuffs are serial numbered and you are accountable for them as your employer's property.

Lastly, the story says that he loaned them to a man that sold him "pills"!! So we have a junkie cop buying pills on the street. Again he doesn't deserve to have any job in law enforcement unless it was cleaning PD toilets under direct supervision!!

I know the Pot head should have know the difference between a Constable badge and a Dedham Police badge. I am sure the two fine gentleman let him examine the badge and then google it for conformation before kidnapping and murdering him. [thinking]

Crack constable work.

I know the Pot head should have know the difference between a Constable badge and a Dedham Police badge. I am sure the two fine gentleman let him examine the badge and then google it for conformation before kidnapping and murdering him. [thinking]

Crack constable work.

Derek, the shapes of the badges are hugely different.

MA Constable badges are identical (other than text) to MSP badges (because the origin of MSP was one Constable and 3x Deputy Constables - used to be on MSP website some years ago).

That difference would stand out with a mere glance by anyone with 2 working brain cells.

IMG_1161_R__86155.1392841554.1280.1280.jpg

badge_sm.jpg

Last edited:

That difference would stand out with a mere glance by anyone with 2 working brain cells.

Oh you're right, I deal with the police so much I would probably pick that out instantly. How stupid of me for not noticing the difference between a police badge and constable bling.

That Pot Head was SO STUPID for not knowing the difference between a current constable badge and old Trooper badge...

Are you comprehending what you're posting?

I'm not in the "LEO Circle" like you are, I'm just a serf trying to make sense of it all. I don't have a Ron Glidden poster in my bedroom. I got rid of my Kirby Puckett poster when I realize my childhood idol would prevent me from getting laid.

Derek,

Look at it this way . . .

- Most people have seen cops in uniform and the badge most used in MA is similar town to town, easily recognizable.

- Most people have never seen a constable badge at all. Many people when looking at it think it is a MSP badge (unless they read the printing on it).

Early reports AND this news story both stated that the people had constable badges. If anything a witness would more likely claim that they saw a police badge or a MSP badge, but the vast majority of people don't even know what a constable is. That's why this story sounds fishy to me. Take another look at the post above you, I edited with pictures of both.

As for your last comments, he's no friend of mine and he's become more arrogant lately, taking a couple of sarcastic swipes that were uncalled for at his recent seminar.

As for your last comments, he's no friend of mine and he's become more arrogant lately, taking a couple of sarcastic swipes that were uncalled for at his recent seminar.

Anyone who even mentions Glidden in a positive light in any 2nd Amendment course should be stripped of their instructor license.

Derek,

Look at it this way . . .

- Most people have seen cops in uniform and the badge most used in MA is similar town to town, easily recognizable.

- Most people have never seen a constable badge at all. Many people when looking at it think it is a MSP badge (unless they read the printing on it).

Seriously? Ask anyone who's not on an enthusiastic gun owner if they can tell the difference between a 1911, an M&P, a Sig P226, or a Glock and which agencies carry which. they'll have no clue at all. none.

I couldn't tell you what the state cops' badges look like, or the badges of the cops in my town.

I'd recognize a Texas Ranger star to be wrong if I saw it on a MA cop, but a state cop badge vs. a constable badge vs a city cop badge? Not likely if I wasn't suspecting someone to try to fool me.

I used to work with the cop's brother...I was his boss a few years ago but he got laid off...really nice dude but he had a terrible work ethic. He used to complain about the job and say he should have been a cop like his brother. I knew he was from Dedham. Didn't put it together until I just saw this on Fox25 news this morning and they showed the cop's pic....he looks exactly like his little bro plus 8 or 9 years.

. I couldn't tell you what the state cops' badges look like, or the badges of the cops in my town. I'd recognize a Texas Ranger star to be wrong if I saw it on a MA cop, but a state cop badge vs. a constable badge vs a city cop badge? Not likely if I wasn't suspecting someone to try to fool me.

Exactly. I've got no idea what our local town cops' badges look like. I've never seen a constable's badge. I expect that if some guys with guns and badges are trying to intimidate me that I won't be looking at their badges.

Every time I hear the word "constable" for some reason Louis de Funes comes to mind.

4u5a2u4y.jpg

The fat , The under educated, The need for self importance..........The Constables coming soon to theater's near you !

MA Constable badges are identical (other than text) to MSP badges (because the origin of MSP was one Constable and 3x Deputy Constables - used to be on MSP website some years ago).

View attachment 110905

View attachment 110906

I live in Dedham and I would not be able to tell you what shape the badges are. Very few people would. FWIW I've found Dedham PD to be good dudes.

View attachment 110905

View attachment 110906

Your point being...?

199714_ts.jpg

+1 on not knowing any official LE badge. I generally assume shield shape and gold but that's mostly from watching TV.

Sorry, short of a speeding stop or two over 20 years my LE involvement is limited to seeing cops doing traffic control.

I'd recognize a Texas Ranger star to be wrong if I saw it on a MA cop, but a state cop badge vs. a constable badge vs a city cop badge? Not likely if I wasn't suspecting someone to try to fool me.

Exactly. Most people aren't going to know the difference between the two badges without studying them and reading every word on them. I'd be surprised if half the people I encounter could tell a Toyota Camry from a Honda Civic without looking at the corporate logo on the car. I'm betting the men identified themselves as constables and flashed the badge quickly so no one could read it or get a good look at it. Then the report of "they claimed they were constables and showed us their badges" evolves into "they showed their constable badges".

What's a constable?

pretty much a process server, delivering subpoenas for civil court cases and some criminal cases. Essentially what other states hire non LE's (private companies) for, but MA needs a special branch or pseudo LE to do it at a higher rate. Kind of like fuzz details instead of flagmen.

Adds up just fine.

Junkie cop gets blackmailed by dealer, loans badge, gets busted.

Slam dunk.

and x10 on the badges, sorry Len.

I live in Dedham and I would not be able to tell you what shape the badges are. Very few people would. FWIW I've found Dedham PD to be good dudes.

My point being if you hear hoof-beats you don't automatically think of zebras . . . you think of horses. Constables are rather obscure and even if you don't know badges/shapes, one would more likely think of police rather than a very obscure quasi-LE functionary. Very few constables wear uniforms, many don't display any badge at all. Thus, to me the story sounds fishy.

Exactly. Most people aren't going to know the difference between the two badges without studying them and reading every word on them. I'd be surprised if half the people I encounter could tell a Toyota Camry from a Honda Civic without looking at the corporate logo on the car. I'm betting the men identified themselves as constables and flashed the badge quickly so no one could read it or get a good look at it. Then the report of "they claimed they were constables and showed us their badges" evolves into "they showed their constable badges".

This is the only logical reason that witnesses might have reported them as constables, I suppose.

Is impersonating a constable an arrestable offense?

Yes. But finding a DA to prosecute would be challenge unless they can make it into a high profile case (like this one perhaps).

--------------------

I understand that many here wouldn't know the proper badge for the proper office. I'll admit it probably is hard to tell when the boot is on your neck. [rofl]

"Most" people only see a "Badge", they don't see the shape, color or what is written on them, they only see a shinny badge, unless it's star shaped, then they see cowboys and indians. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom