DC Cops/M16`s

The department already has 500 semiautomatic AR-15 rifles, which were converted from fully automatic rifles, and has trained 340 officers to use them.

160 of them are going unused I guess? Or maybe lost?

Last month, Chicago had one of the most violent crime waves in recent history — 36 shootings in which nine people were killed and an AK-47 assault rifle was used to shoot up a plumbing-supply store.

An assault rifle? ... in Chicago? But... but... that's unpossible!

"We need to be equally equipped with the firearms that are being used against the police," said Monique Bond, a Chicago police spokeswoman. "If officers cannot protect themselves, they cannot protect residents."

I've heard this line of reasoning several times recently.

Do Chicago cops (or any other major city PDs) actually have "assault rifles" used against them?

How does one "convert" a gun from full to semi-automatic when BATFE policy holds "Once a machine gun; always a machine gun"?

If such a sea-change has occurred, when can I get my "converted" M-14 from the CMP?

How does one "convert" a gun from full to semi-automatic when BATFE policy holds "Once a machine gun; always a machine gun"?

If such a sea-change has occurred, when can I get my "converted" M-14 from the CMP?

they most likly changed out the lower reciever. and figured it was a new gun.

They still might be NFA devices, but the PD puts a semi lower on them for
"administrative" or "political" reasons. It's possible the guns were acquired through one of those
programs that recycles some DOD stuff into the hands of qualifying law enforcement. (not sure if they still do
this anymore, but I remember a LEO telling me at one time they could get cheap MG's from the feds if they
wanted to. )

A typical example is some LE units that use MP5's... some of them are FA but some units might use a semi lower, so they just swing down the FA lower and put on one with only an "S-E" semi-only trigger pack on it. While the gun is still technically a machinegun according to BATFEs dumbass standards, its meaningless in the realm of the LE org that gets tax-free NFA transfers anyways.

-Mike

Last edited:
I've been in Washington, DC once, and will never go there again unless in a bulletproof vehicle and accompanied by couple of guard with machine guns.
Here is the story: when I asked a security person in the Convention Center how can I find a supermarket here, her answer was:
-Just a few blocks away, but do not walk there, or you may be SHOT.

Right, gun control limits only legal firearms![angry]

Lockout kits are available to disable the full auto feature. LE agencies are exempt from the NFA standards outside of filing out the paperwork to register any full auto firearms.

They still might be NFA devices, but the PD puts a semi lower on them for
"administrative" or "political" reasons. It's possible the guns were acquired through one of those programs that recycles some DOD stuff into the hands of qualifying law enforcement. (not sure if they still do this anymore, but I remember a LEO telling me at one time they could get cheap MG's from the feds if they wanted to. )

M16 haven't been made available to small departments for many years. M14 were available up until a few years ago as were some old 38 Special revolvers. Most departments never wanted them due to the caliber. I should have ordered a few to play with at the range!!!!

We got rid of our M16 (one of the first ever made) years ago and purchased Colt AR15's. Actually much better for our needs. Our MP5's only required the paperwork to register as a FA. No fee was required. It only took a few minutes and was handled mostly by our Class III dealer.

Lockout kits are available to disable the full auto feature. LE agencies are exempt from the NFA standards outside of filing out the paperwork to register any full auto firearms.

+1

For the same reason that a PD can acquire/posses/keep confiscated full-auto firearms that were never registered (regardless of age or date of manufacture).

Museums are the other allowable exception.

Back
Top Bottom