• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Daunte Wright Shooting: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Edit: Shot by cop who thought she was using a TASER

According to one report the speed was 85 mph-recent immigrant with a green card can't help but to wonder if he has an X endorsement-doubles/triples ?

That section of highway is a steep six mile decline. They get to the manslaughter with him because he knew the danger of a speeding truck and he calling his dispatcher, ignored the runaway truck turnoffs, etc. the sentence is absurd but legally he doesn’t have a great defense.

Reportedly the family was allowed to testify as to the shootee's angellic nature, but the negative information could not be discussed or revealed at trial.

A routine question in these circumstances is "Who would you rather meet in a dark alley, the shooter or shootee?".

I watched almost the entire trial. I skipped some of the EMT testimony, medical examiner etc because how he died wasn’t at issue. The mother is as round as a beach ball and as white trashy as they get. Minneola always “spark of life “ testimony about the dead. They kept showing wright holding his out of wedlock kid and implying he was a decent person. Legally what people are like may or may not be a factor in a particular case. Without question wright was a POS person the world is better off without.

The guy who was shot in the back in North Charleston SC whole running away from a child support warrant, Eric garner in NYC, those guys were minor criminals with no violent history and were killed with malice or in garners case because the govt wasn’t getting their tax money. But George Floyd, mike brown, Trayvon martin, they were violent criminals the world won’t miss. It’s absurd to act like they were good people. The whitewashing of the thugs in Kenosha is another example. Those shot or shot at were garbage people.

“Manslaughter is also the unlawful killing of another person or persons, but without any malice but still involves a “conscious disregard for human life.” Manslaughter can be voluntary or involuntary. Voluntary manslaughter is when the act of murder is committed in either the heat of passion or in the defense of yourself or others.”

The jury ignored the law. She didn’t know she had the gun in her hand so she didn’t consciously do anything. The defense has a good chance to get the verdict dismissed on appeal but an appeal will take at least a year or two

Any cop in Hennepin county Minnesota who doesn’t retire is a moron. Anything a cop does there will be a political cause for Keith Ellison. Potter had zero complaints against her in 26 years and they still went after her this hard.

The other 3 cops who were at the George Floyd scene are coming up for trial soon. One of the cops was on duty for only a few weeks at the time. It’s mob justice in Minneapolis
Given how the jury ruled, it seems that if she actually used the taser and he subsequentially died then she is on the hook for involuntary manslaughter.

The problem with LE is they got away from prototypical guys that can straight up physically handle themselves, if you were a pussy then dont bother applying or if you were hooked up you would get a desk type job. They wanted to integrate females and clean cut youngsters that never got punched in the face before. With this you get cops that can’t handle confrontations and either can’t properly grab someone and gain control of them or shit their pants when the situation gets rough and they go to the gun too fast.

People respond to intimidation and fear, meaning if they know they are dealing with someone who isn’t going to f’k around then they will think twice before being problematic. Obviously this line of thought brings out the excessive physical force that isn’t justified however with that you get much less shooting and body bags for people that act up. De escalating situations is what we want but it’s tough to do when you get a person who smells fear from authority, add in the PC bullshit and this is the situation we get now. Back in the 80’s I took a few heavy hands with some old school cops and it smartened me up pretty good. No crying and no complaints.

One of the biggest misconceptions. She was a patrol officer, FTO for all her 26-year career.

CUED UP:

View: https://youtu.be/7qC3XNTMalE?t=610

Yes she was a field officer, never pursued office positions. Had a spotless career for 26 years unlike chauvin who had use of force complaints etc. this woman was a perfect cop and made a single mistake and they went after her as hard as they went after chauvin

They also want the judge to go outside the sentence guidelines and put her in prison for 15 years. Sentence guidelines for this are 7 years

Keith Ellison only won by 4% in 2018 (a good democrat year). Hopefully he gets his ass kicked in 2022, the same GOP lawyer is running against him and nationally it should be a very good GOP year

I didn’t see the jury instructions, but looking at the statutes I don’t see the words reckless nor careless in either???

“Manslaughter is also the unlawful killing of another person or persons, but without any malice but still involves a “conscious disregard for human life.” Manslaughter can be voluntary or involuntary. Voluntary manslaughter is when the act of murder is committed in either the heat of passion or in the defense of yourself or others.”

The jury ignored the law. She didn’t know she had the gun in her hand so she didn’t consciously do anything. The defense has a good chance to get the verdict dismissed on appeal but an appeal will take at least a year or two

Any cop in Hennepin county Minnesota who doesn’t retire is a moron. Anything a cop does there will be a political cause for Keith Ellison. Potter had zero complaints against her in 26 years and they still went after her this hard.

The other 3 cops who were at the George Floyd scene are coming up for trial soon. One of the cops was on duty for only a few weeks at the time. It’s mob justice in Minneapolis
[thumbsup]
This lawyer has a pretty good explanation of what i was trying to say.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZUW-BBPGM0

Given how the jury ruled, it seems that if she actually used the taser and he subsequentially died then she is on the hook for involuntary manslaughter.

The prosecution use of force “expert” was douche college professor who was a cop for 5 years in the early 2000’s. That douche Seth stoughton said she didn’t even have the right to use the taser. They should have left him flee and look for him later. The defense had a 1” thick file on all the times wright fled or skipped court. Remember he’s only 20 and had that many fleeing and skipped court dates. Had warrants, gun charges, accused of shooting people, robbing, assaulted a young woman, etc. the cops are supposed to let that criminal flee? Insane

Last edited:
[thumbsup]

Law requires consciously knowing what you are doing. She had no idea she was holding a gun and without that knowledge she can’t be found guilty unless the jury ignores the law.

I doubt any cop can get a fair jury in the Minneapolis area. The violent crime is breaking records there too, it’s as bad or worse than the drug fueled murder rates in the 80’s and 90’s

I believe she loses her pension too with the conviction.

Law requires consciously knowing what you are doing. She had no idea she was holding a gun and without that knowledge she can’t be found guilty unless the jury ignores the law.

I doubt any cop can get a fair jury in the Minneapolis area. The violent crime is breaking records there too, it’s as bad or worse than the drug fueled murder rates in the 80’s and 90’s

I believe she loses her pension too with the conviction.
The term "Sacrificed on the altar of race relations" comes to mind.

It’s how the pendulum swings. For so long things were at one end, where police were never accountable for anything they did, no matter how bad. And now cops are being held strictly accountable, even when it’s something not so bad. It sucks for her, considering all the things cops who are actually awful have gotten away with. She seems like she was probably halfway decent.
I wonder if Officer Duncan would have received the "accident for which criminal charges are not appropriate" from DA and kept his position as a Framingham LEO and his LTC after accidently shooting an innocent (in the truest sense of the word, not a "many charges pending" sort of innocent) black senior citizen in the post-BLM era.

Last edited:
The time has come for the Country to adopt the literal interpretation for what a jury should be with regard to law enforcement and military matters no other option can provide justice.

I wonder if Officer Duncan would have received the "accident for which criminal charges are not appropriate" from DA kept is position as a Framingham LEO and his LTC after accidently shooting an innocent (in the truest sense of the word, not a "many charges pending" sort of innocent) black senior citizen in the post-BLM era.

Not in middlesex county and definitely not with the current DA Ryan. you or I did what Duncan did, she would have charged in seconds. Cop cases here still get ruled justified routinely. When was the most recent cop charged in a shooting, I can think of a single one.

If I were a cop in Suffolk county with mayor wu and possibly another nut like Rollins, I’d resign as a cop and get a job in the burbs. Minneapolis is crazy, they’ve taken at least 4 cops to trial for shootings/deaths over the past few years and still have the 3 other cops at the scene with chauvin who are going on trial soon. One of them was only a few weeks into being a rookie cop and I think they want 10 years in prison for him and the other 2 who were also very new cops.

Funny thing about Duncan - it was not ruled "justified" but an "accident", so the "my goof" defense works in Metrowest .... possibly because the $3M payoff to the family was enough to buy silence and prevent massive protests.

In the potter trial, part of the “evidence “ they used against potter was that she only did a spark test (basically a test on the taser to make sure it’s functional and battery charged) on 7 of the previous 10 shifts even though it’s not even department policy to check it. The prosecution implied that daily check would have acted as training and by no doing it, her conduct was reckless. Rekieta law has the trial up on his YouTube. The lack of evidence and the comical claims by the prosecution were a joke. Even if someone shoots at a cop in Minneapolis and they return fore and kill the person, I’m not sure that cop could get acquitted in Minneapolis. The defund the police ballot question got 43% in the election results. That’s a BIG portion of the population and jury pool who are radical BLM types

Funny thing about Duncan - it was not ruled "justified" but an "accident", so the "my goof" defense works in Metrowest .... possibly because the $3M payoff to the family was enough to buy silence and prevent massive protests.

Even without the payout, I doubt anything would have happened. Massachusetts is like Chicago, there is a well oiled democrat machine system that connects unions (including cop unions) with the democrat party, media, various artists and groups. The corruption is so endemic in Massachusetts as it is a place like Chicago, Louisiana, etc. I know someone in Chicago and I asked a few years ago why they people there put up with the corruption and violence, some of the worst schools in the country etc. he said it’s been going on so long people are numb to is and just accept it as the way it has been, is and will always be. I have that feeling about MA. I don’t think the corruption, garbage politicians, lack of freedom, respect for constitutional rights will change in Massachusetts in at least the next 30 years.

Even without the payout, I doubt anything would have happened. Massachusetts is like Chicago, there is a well oiled democrat machine system that connects unions (including cop unions) with the democrat party, media, various artists and groups. The corruption is so endemic in Massachusetts as it is a place like Chicago, Louisiana, etc. I know someone in Chicago and I asked a few years ago why they people there put up with the corruption and violence, some of the worst schools in the country etc. he said it’s been going on so long people are numb to is and just accept it as the way it has been, is and will always be. I have that feeling about MA. I don’t think the corruption, garbage politicians, lack of freedom, respect for constitutional rights will change in Massachusetts in at least the next 30 years.
So true about Ma$$holechusetts. The corruption is top to bottom and if you buck the system you are singled as not being a "Team Player". It doesn't matter which agency you work for, they are all the same. Mass Environmental Police had a guy from western Mass. ( Springfield) that had ties to Springfield Mob. He ended up becoming a Deputy Director, Imagine That!!!

Last edited:
So true about Ma$$holechusetts. The corruption is top to bottom and if you buck the system you are singled as not being a "Team Player". It doesn't matter which agency you work for, they are all the same. Mass Environmental Police had a guy from western Mass. ( Springfield) that had ties to Springfield Mob. He ended up becoming a Deputy Director, Imagine That!!!
That's a nice set of geese you have on your pond there ... would be a real shame if something happened to them. Oh, and we know where your pond's fish go to school.

All the business people, developers, univsitys etc are all in bed with the politicians. Burger named as Umass president, then hack politician Marty Meehan, the distribution of pot licenses, the mass port board positions, everything is rotten. When corrupt finneran left the state house he got a $500k/yr job leading some biotech lobbying group, the corrupt Somerville mayor curatone is leaving to take some cushy green envy position. Look at Rachel Rollins, threatens people, etc and the mass AG clears her.

The mass AGs office has done nothing about corruption the past 20 years. The state trooper pay scandal, the numerous state senate presidents and house members who were indicted were all indicted at the federal level. Obama’s aunt was defrauding the system, illegally living in public housing, getting section 8, etc and the mass pols cheered her instead of charging her. Massachusetts, Louisiana, NJ, NY and Illinois are the worst in the country.

I am glad you brought up Marty Meehan. His cousin in Moraga, Ca. bundled $20,000.00 for Marty's Congressional Campaign using his sons, his office manager and if I recall a couple of others. I Filed a complaint with Federal Election Commission, It was found that all the money came from Mr. O'Connor's bank account. Marty had to give the 20K back and Mr. O'Connor was "Administratively" Fined 30K dollars. In reality it was only Ten Grand. So the Communists are allowed to break the law with minimal consequences.

interesting take..

Ann Coulter wrote about young Daunte's exploits today: Daunte Wright is Not the Man NYT Wants You to Think He Is
This should be required reading for anyone with an opinion on the Daunte Wright incident. I used to think the NYT was a good newspaper now I wouldn't line a hatbox with it.
One another note, I'm sure Ben Crump will be on his way to Minnesota very soon. Wonder what the payout will be this time? Floyd got $27 million which if standard contingency fees apply means Crump walked away with $9 million.

This should be required reading for anyone with an opinion on the Daunte Wright incident. I used to think the NYT was a good newspaper now I wouldn't line a hatbox with it.
One another note, I'm sure Ben Crump will be on his way to Minnesota very soon. Wonder what the payout will be this time? Floyd got $27 million which if standard contingency fees apply means Crump walked away with $9 million.

Crump was signed as their lawyer last spring. Brooklyn center isn’t big, I think 35,000 people. They don’t have the insurance policy Minneapolis does so I’d expect the number to be south of $5 million. Wrights fat mother is a drug user so the money will pass through her on the way to the Mexican drug cartels.

Wright was also reportedly in a gang and people who know him said he was committing crimes from 12 years old and on.

[thumbsup]

Thank you. That makes more sense now.

So it’s not reckless vs. careless, but specifically “culpable negligence”. And of course the law loves to use terminology that has very different definitions for extremely like terms.

So the state must have proved culpable negligence, which includes an element of recklessness and not just merely negligence itself. I think there definitely was negligence. So the key factor hinges on was it also reckless. And to be reckless, that then hinges on doing something consciously. With knowledge of.

Indeed something can be done negligently without being reckless as well. The difference between making a mistake based on carelessness, complacency, ignorance, etc, and making a mistake based on willful disregard.

It indeed sounds like the elements of the charges she faced, were not met.

I think the argument is going to be, an ordinary and prudent person would have known that mistaking a taser with a pistol is reckless. Of course that would have to mean that she consciously mistook her pistol for a taser, which doesn’t make sense.

Tricky situation the jury was put in. I can see how they’d be confused or more likely, mislead.

If I was a cop I'd be turning a blinds eye to many things.
Or, just not go out looking for excuses to perform traffic stops over minor issues like an air freshener hanging from the mirror.

The air freshener led to finding the expired registration, which led to finding the warrant for failure to appear, which led to the attempt to arrest him, which led to him attempting to flee the scene, which led to him being (unintentionally) shot to death.

All the way up to the point at which he was shot, police could have caught up with him later to effect an arrest under safer circumstances.

Last edited:
The air freshener led to finding the expired registration, which led to finding the warrant for failure to appear, which led to the attempt to arrest him, which led to him attempting to flee the scene, which led to him being (unintentionally) shot to death.
If the air freshner was the only reason for the initial stop one has to wonder if it was air freshening while black. Obstructions are legal in MA, but I have never heard of a middle aged white (or black) woman being pulled over for hanging baby shoes or gas station pine trees.

If the air freshner was the only reason for the initial stop one has to wonder if it was air freshening while black. Obstructions are legal in MA, but I have never heard of a middle aged white (or black) woman being pulled over for hanging baby shoes or gas station pine trees.
Ahem! I was pulled over by a RMV cop (yes, that far back) for having the Mother Bay State gas plastic dinosaur mounted on TOP of my rear view mirror. He made me remove it. They were also stopping kids driving with HS graduation tassels hanging from their mirrors. This was back in the mid-1960s, but it certainly was done.

Ahem! I was pulled over by a RMV cop (yes, that far back) for having the Mother Bay State gas plastic dinosaur mounted on TOP of my rear view mirror. He made me remove it. They were also stopping kids driving with HS graduation tassels hanging from their mirrors. This was back in the mid-1960s, but it certainly was done.
I knew an Asian couple who was pulled over and not allowed to leave until they scraped off the MPA immunity decal that was on the used car they had bought.

Last edited:
Thank you. That makes more sense now.

So it’s not reckless vs. careless, but specifically “culpable negligence”. And of course the law loves to use terminology that has very different definitions for extremely like terms.

So the state must have proved culpable negligence, which includes an element of recklessness and not just merely negligence itself. I think there definitely was negligence. So the key factor hinges on was it also reckless. And to be reckless, that then hinges on doing something consciously. With knowledge of.

Indeed something can be done negligently without being reckless as well. The difference between making a mistake based on carelessness, complacency, ignorance, etc, and making a mistake based on willful disregard.

It indeed sounds like the elements of the charges she faced, were not met.

I think the argument is going to be, an ordinary and prudent person would have known that mistaking a taser with a pistol is reckless. Of course that would have to mean that she consciously mistook her pistol for a taser, which doesn’t make sense.

Tricky situation the jury was put in. I can see how they’d be confused or more likely, mislead.
As I said earlier, throw in knowing your town is going to burn if you don't convict. I'm all for nailing bad cops. This wasn't a 'bad' cop. She made a mistake that 90% of 'normal' people might have made. Yes, she had 20 hours of total training over the course of 20+ years on using the taser, but do the math.

I'm all for 'police reform', from my experience with local LEO's they need a TON of training. That's reform I can get behind.

Or, just not go out looking for excuses to perform traffic stops over minor issues like an air freshener hanging from the mirror.

All the way up to the point at which he was shot, police could have caught up with him later to effect an arrest under safer circumstances.

See blow, the stop wasn’t for an air freshener.

The stop was for the wrong blinker in the wrong lane and the expired tabs. The air freshener wasn’t noticed until they were already pulled over or when Luckey was standing at the drivers window. They ran the tags when they pulled him over and before ever talking to wright and found the registered owner was Dallas wright, dauntes brother and he had a warrant for drugs.

When Luckey was at the drivers window, they noticed the car smelled like weed and wright had weed debris on the center console. They ran his name, found the bench warrant for daunte for a gun charge and an open restraining order obtained by a female. They had not identified the female passenger at this point so they didn’t know if this was the one who took out the RO and if she was in danger or held against her will.

It wasn’t allowed into evidence but the defense said they had an inch thick folder of all the times wright skipped court or ran from the police (an inch think means it wasn’t going to be easy to find wright again). And it was a bench warrant for they to take him into custody, zero option not to. They had not searched wright or the car at this point so they had to assume he had a gun since the warrant was a gun charge. And with an open restraining order, how could they allow hime to drive away with a woman who may have been the woman with the RO. The RO was for chocking and holding a gun to a woman’s head as wright tried to rob her.

Potter testified she wouldn’t have made the stop. Luckey made it because he was in training and it was solely his decision to make the stop.

The air freshener was the BS lie wrights fatass mother put out the day it happened to instigate the mob. The testimony by the cop who made the stop, Luckey, was wright was d right in the left lane making a left turn with his right blinker on and he had expired tabs. They didn’t notice the air freshener until they already pulled him over. It’s a high crime area, testimony was 40% of the cars stop had guns. Wright smoked pot shortly before driving, he was stoned, that’s probably why he put the wrong blinker on.

MN does have a law saying nothing can be hanging from the rear view mirror but that’s not why Luckey made the stop. Potter was the FTO, she was allowing Luckey to make all the decisions

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom