• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Daniel Shaver ... Ex-Officer Found Not Guilty

Show me one cop with a 500k pension, I'll show you the majority that retire with just enough to get by after 30 years.

But that does not answer my question, would you put someone displaying PTSD in a camp? How about PTSD that does not show up for years? How long would you hold a vet in a camp? Your rationale scares the bejesus out of me.

I'd personally like to see combat vets way better taken care of if they have issues, I'm just making a point. Some cop who never killed anyone, never had a complaint is put in a 'camp to concentrate' on his past, while someone who's obviously been through way more traumatic situations doesn't? I don't get the manifesto logic?

Seriously? Now we are going to cry poor mouth over a cop's retirement benefits? Maybe it is different down in Louisiana but up here in the Northeast cops aren't hurting financially.

When I hear people bitch about pay and benefits to almost any job, I think so what? Last time I checked anyone could have taken that job and received those benefits. Didn't want to? Deal with it.

Mike

Seriously? Now we are going to cry poor mouth over a cop's retirement benefits? Maybe it is different down in Louisiana but up here in the Northeast cops aren't hurting financially.

In my experience, city and state actually pay decent, but no one has addressed the idea of putting someone into a camp for the simple reason of a legal occupation.

My response was to the ridiculous number quoted, like every LEO gets a huge retirement was an aside. It kind of proves a point of who is being rational and who is letting emotion get the best of them. There's plenty to tear down here, no question, mistakes were made. People are, however, going full retard in some cases.

There will likely be a civil case against this former officer. The young man's family has a pretty strong case.

Show me one cop with a 500k pension, I'll show you the majority that retire with just enough to get by after 30 years.

But that does not answer my question, would you put someone displaying PTSD in a camp? How about PTSD that does not show up for years? How long would you hold a vet in a camp? Your rationale scares the bejesus out of me.

I'd personally like to see combat vets way better taken care of if they have issues, I'm just making a point. Some cop who never killed anyone, never had a complaint is put in a 'camp to concentrate' on his past, while someone who's obviously been through way more traumatic situations doesn't? I don't get the manifesto logic?
I would put a vet with PTSD into an outpatient program to help reduce its effects on them. If they want to voluntarily join an inpatient program for PTSD, that'd be okay with me.

The issue with cops when they retire is they still have the CCW permit for life and when I hear stories about a fat, old pig throwing his weight around and blasting a guy in a movie theater who he asked to stop using his cell phone. It's pigs like that that need to be put in a camp for a period of time, possibly the rest of their life, before being released into the public without the badge anymore.

There will likely be a civil case against this former officer. The young man's family has a pretty strong case.
There will be, and the Shaver family will probably win based on the need for deadly force on a situation that was already contained. Brailsford was exonerated on a criminal basis (as explained in the video I posted) because the criminal element was not met. In Civil court, he'll get slammed.

Guys with PTSD from overseas aren't running around killing people in America without fear of reprisal.

Lots of door kickers in combat arms MOS's are now cops kicking in doors here,and I'm reasonably sure there are a lot of them with undiagnosed PTSD.Im not even sure diagnosed PTSD is a non qualifier to be a cop nowadays.

I would put a vet with PTSD into an outpatient program to help reduce its effects on them. If they want to voluntarily join an inpatient program for PTSD, that'd be okay with me.

The issue with cops when they retire is they still have the CCW permit for life and when I hear stories about a fat, old pig throwing his weight around and blasting a guy in a movie theater who he asked to stop using his cell phone. It's pigs like that that need to be put in a camp for a period of time, possibly the rest of their life, before being released into the public without the badge anymore.

Your effing with my PTSD so why don't spout your idiot scribblings elsewhere.... like a UFO forum

Lots of door kickers in combat arms MOS's are now cops kicking in doors here,and I'm reasonably sure there are a lot of them with undiagnosed PTSD.Im not even sure diagnosed PTSD is a non qualifier to be a cop nowadays.
It should be. I'd go so far as to have any former combat vet who seeks a career in LE to do a 72 hour mental health evaluation screening. Any disqualifies and he doesn't get a badge.

There will be, and the Shaver family will probably win based on the need for deadly force on a situation that was already contained. Brailsford was exonerated on a criminal basis (as explained in the video I posted) because the criminal element was not met. In Civil court, he'll get slammed.

This. The bottom line is that a man is dead not because of how the deceased handled the interaction with the police, rather because of how the officers handled it. They never should have been in that position by that time. I understand about "uncleared areas", but they still didn't have a solid reason to believe anyone was at risk, and yet they behaved as if they were responding to a situation where high risk was a given. Even then, if the officer giving instructions hadn't been an idiot, it would probably have turned out OK.

Sorry man, but somebody has to say it, you are an idiot.
That's not very nice. Just because I don't want compromised people becoming police officers to increase public safety that makes me an idiot? Because I don't want patrol cops armed because the power of their authority makes them dopamine addicts to abusing their authority makes me an idiot?

It should be. I'd go so far as to have any former combat vet who seeks a career in LE to do a 72 hour mental health evaluation screening. Any disqualifies and he doesn't get a badge.
I hope you realize that people with suppressed PTSD could stand on their heads for 72 hours without showing a single disqualifying symptom.

What are you going to do, put them through a hell march to try to force them to break?

That's not very nice. Just because I don't want compromised people becoming police officers to increase public safety that makes me an idiot? Because I don't want patrol cops armed because the power of their authority makes them dopamine addicts to abusing their authority makes me an idiot?

I wasn’t being very nice .....

PTSD isn’t the issue. It’s the entire police culture and training.

When you teach cops that everyone is always trying to kill them and that normal human reactions like putting your hands in your pockets because it’s cold or getting your ID or pulling up your pants are “furtive movements” that must instead be reaching for a gun, you get this.

And when cops who do this continue to have their actions ruled justified, it’s certsinly not going to get better. More and more cops have a get home at any costs mentality. And the any cost is far too often the lives of others.

Again, nothing to do with PTSD. Everything to do with police training and culture.

PTSD isn’t the issue. It’s the entire police culture and training.

When you teach cops that everyone is always trying to kill them and that normal human reactions like putting your hands in your pockets because it’s cold or getting your ID or pulling up your pants are “furtive movements” that must instead be reaching for a gun, you get this.

And when cops who do this continue to have their actions ruled justified, it’s certsinly not going to get better. More and more cops have a get home at any costs mentality. And the any cost is far too often the lives of others.

Again, nothing to do with PTSD. Everything to do with police training and culture.

Exactly.....bravo

Maybe we have too many recently returned vets in police jobs across the country.
We shouldn't be in wars for profit, or have standing armies that require getting into constant wars. Not that its going to stop until America is too weak and irrelevant to keep waging foreign campaigns.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in most of these shootings where someone got froggy and capped somebody for no reason, the cops were some of the few that weren't vets. In fact we managed to regularly deal with and search people overseas who were potentially much more dangerous (IE suicide bombers) and who didn't speak English without killing them. And we were all infantry.

I'm thinking this is first and foremost training, followed by individual dumbassery. Put this same froggy dumbass in the same situation and have calm instructions given or different search techniques used and this dude doesn't get iced.

Mike

Interestingly, policing is one of the safest jobs out there ( source ).

Interestingly, policing is one of the safest jobs out there ( source ).

Quick math here, that looks like ~19 fatalities per 100,000 workers. ~810,000 sworn cops, 151.2 deaths (avg) over the last 10 years. 151.2/8.1=18.67
Way less than fishing, logging, etc, but it's higher than the average.
Selected_occupations_with_high_fatality_rate.png

Occupational fatality - Wikipedia

When I hear people bitch about pay and benefits to almost any job, I think so what? Last time I checked anyone could have taken that job and received those benefits. Didn't want to? Deal with it.

Mike
Damn straight.

Cops know what the pay is gonna be. And they have the prospect of possibly earning extra by doing details. Don't cry poor mouth when you get to kill dogs and unarmed people with impunity.

Most cops killing civilians aren't former vets--they're just shitheads. I don't necessarily think hiring former vets is the best idea due to the differences in training, but then again, it seems mostly all cops needlessly killing civilians have no military experience whatsoever. In fact, I don't know of a single cop who has killed someone under dubious circumstances who was ex-military. Feel free to provide stories if you have any.

Quick math here, that looks like ~19 fatalities per 100,000 workers. ~810,000 sworn cops, 151.2 deaths (avg) over the last 10 years. 151.2/8.1=18.67
Way less than fishing, logging, etc, but it's higher than the average.
Selected_occupations_with_high_fatality_rate.png

Occupational fatality - Wikipedia

And a very large percentage of those deaths are accidental/traffic related. One source that keeps track counts heart attacks suffered on duty.

Even though it's higher than others, but still not cracking the most dangerous jobs list, it's not because they're generally targeted by intentional acts of violence.

And a very large percentage of those deaths are accidental/traffic related. One source that keeps track counts heart attacks suffered on duty.

Even though it's higher than others, but still not cracking the most dangerous jobs list, it's not because they're generally targeted by intentional acts of violence.

Yes, but he said safest and provided that source. Traffic accidents are as much as a job hazard as people shooting at you.

At every other occupation EVERY death is an accident.

Yes, but he said safest and provided that source. Traffic accidents are as much as a job hazard as people shooting at you.

At every other occupation EVERY death is an accident.

It's not the most dangerous job by far and the populace isn't out to get them. That's the bottom line.

Back
Top Bottom