Daniel Shaver ... Ex-Officer Found Not Guilty

ErnstStavro

NES Member
Anyone see this?

http://www.tmz.com/2017/12/07/mesa-...m-philip-brailsford-not-guilty-daniel-shaver/

Was this officer being an a-hole? The whole handling of this situation seems less than optimal.

"a failure to comprehend instructions"...he did not identify himself as an officer. You walk out of a room and someone starts yelling commands.

How many times do you need to tell someone they will be shot?

Is it just me, I just see this as a fail.

12 mins in to the video the interaction starts, Cop is an idiot.

Hero's rifle

A0VWZ1u.jpg

Not surprised, sadly. At this point you can try and come up with a scenario that you think for sure would lead to a guilty verdict, but if it's a cop, there is no guarantee.

I mean seriously. He set this guy up to kill. How do you crawl and keep your hands up at the same time? And since when is having someone crawl towards you a rational instruction in the first place?

Disgusting.

I am not a cop but I don't understand why you would have a suspect crawl toward you, especially one you think may be drunk. Why not just have them stay face down and cover them while your partner approaches and cuffs them? Also I read an article that speculated the guy was reaching for his waistband to keep his shorts from falling off. Stupid move but probably instinctive.

I don't want to have this misinterpreted as victim blaming but god damn that guy was stupid. Straight up 100% murder, but good chance he'd be alive if he didn't keep disregarding the Nazi's orders. Why the f*** did he stop at the 17:10 mark? Pig just told you 300 times he's going to shoot you.

WTF is wrong with juries though when the defendant is a cop? Everyone on that jury is an accessory as far as I'm concerned. I hope their decision haunts them and follows them all to the grave.

I don't want to have this misinterpreted as victim blaming but god damn that guy was stupid. Straight up 100% murder, but good chance he'd be alive if he didn't keep disregarding the Nazi's orders. Why the f*** did he stop at the 17:10 mark? Pig just told you 300 times he's going to shoot you.

WTF is wrong with juries though when the defendant is a cop? Everyone on that jury is an accessory as far as I'm concerned. I hope their decision haunts them and follows them all to the grave.
This

"The judge did not allow (you're f***ed) to be entered as evidence, saying it was too prejudicial."

Oh really? Prejudicial?

Some people use LE as a excuse to fulfill their sick fantasies.

I don't see the reason for all hoops and loops. Identify yourself as LE and detain as necessary.

Also I read an article that speculated the guy was reaching for his waistband to keep his shorts from falling off. Stupid move but probably instinctive.
I can see that, but the jury was probably presented with "the officer gave clear instructions and Shaver chose to ignore it".

2nd degree murder was a longshot IMO.

I'm thinking it might have been better to stay face down with hands out and tell the officers that you're not comfortable moving. Let them figure it out rather than trying to crawl drunk with no hands and guns pointed at you.

Doubt it would have helped when a cop is telling you he's going to kill you if you don't follow his conflicting demands. Hands up or you die. Crawl or you die. Well, can't do both, and he was true to his word and murderer him.

He made the decision to kill that kid the second he saw him.

I don't agree with that. It was a bad shoot, and there were bad decisions made on both sides, and the worst by far was the shoot itself. But from watching the entire video and reading the news reports, I don't think the cop decided to kill him from the outset.

I don't agree with that. It was a bad shoot, and there were bad decisions made on both sides, and the worst by far was the shoot itself. But from watching the entire video and reading the news reports, I don't think the cop decided to kill him from the outset.

He decided he was going to kill him if he didn't do exactly what he wanted him to do regardless of whether it meshed with what he was saying.

I'm not even being sarcastic when I say he could have told the guy to rub his belly and pat his head and if the guy rubbed his head and pat his belly instead, would have shot him.

I am not a cop but I don't understand why you would have a suspect crawl toward you, especially one you think may be drunk. Why not just have them stay face down and cover them while your partner approaches and cuffs them? Also I read an article that speculated the guy was reaching for his waistband to keep his shorts from falling off. Stupid move but probably instinctive.
I don't know who came up with the process shown in the video, whoever that was was an idiot. The cop was more or less administering afield sobriety test with execution as the penalty for failing. I don't know how a jury watched that video and acquitted.

Did you miss the "You're f***ed" tag inside the weapon's dust cover?

Oh wait, that's being "prejudicial".

I don't know how a jury watched that video and acquitted.
The cop was charged for 2nd degree murder, which is intentional killing without premeditation (not a low hanging fruit by any means). The defense claim was that Shaver was reaching for a weapon in his waistband and was shot in self defense. That claim stands until it was proven to the jury that the cop wanted to kill.

Doubt it would have helped when a cop is telling you he's going to kill you if you don't follow his conflicting demands. Hands up or you die. Crawl or you die. Well, can't do both, and he was true to his word and murderer him.

I agree that there was nothing to be gained from trying to follow the orders, so maybe doing nothing might have de-escalated the situation. Certainly easier said than done when someone is pointing a rifle at you and shouting orders.

The cop was charged for 2nd degree murder, which is intentional killing without premeditation (not a low hanging fruit by any means). The defense claim was that Shaver was reaching for a weapon in his waistband and was shot in self defense. That claim stands until it was proven to the jury that the cop wanted to kill.

There was a lesser included of reckless manslaughter.

And the guy was complying for like 5 minutes. The call dealt with a rifle. Does anyone think the claim a drunk compliant was going to pull out a rifle from his gym shorts is a reasonable one, nevertheless shooting and killing him for it?

He decided he was going to kill him if he didn't do exactly what he wanted him to do regardless of whether it meshed with what he was saying.

I'm not even being sarcastic when I say he could have told the guy to rub his belly and pat his head and if the guy rubbed his head and pat his belly instead, would have shot him.
yeah I think this pig went into this with a "just give me one f***ing reason" mentality.

Did you miss the "You're f***ed" tag inside the weapon's dust cover?
No I didn't miss that. I agree it was a bad shoot. But the cop's selection of dust covers doesn't mean he intended to kill the guy from the outset. That's the comment I was responding to.

WTF is wrong with juries though when the defendant is a cop?
Isn't it obvious? What did the mob do when one of theirs was on trail? They intimidated the witnesses to vote not guilty lest their house burns down or their car blows up when it starts.

The pigs are either intimidating family/friends of the jurors, if not the jurors themselves or paying local street thugs to do it. Think it doesn't happen? Pigs are the biggest criminals, that's why they're hired to keep the weaker criminals in line.

yeah I think this pig went into this with a "just give me one f***ing reason" mentality.
He was and it seems every piggy gets a pass when they clearly killed someone without cause. Now the piggy gets a pardon from being jailhouse f**k meat the rest of his life.

Just like San Fransisco last Friday, it's another case of no justice, no peace. I want the people in Arizona to stand up and burn the department down. They're a bigger threat to the people than anyone else right now.

Drunk and scared shitless is a losing combination when you've got a cop itching to light you up & yelling commands that may not make sense if you're impaired. The dude wasn't thinking clearly and the cop sure as hell wasn't deescalating the situation. Total shit show & this a**h*** is guilty of manslaughter at the very least.

Prayers for Shaver's family.

Back
Top Bottom