Daniel Shaver ... Ex-Officer Found Not Guilty

It's not the most dangerous job by far and the populace isn't out to get them. That's the bottom line.
Never said it was. Just saying the national average for workplace related deaths is a fair bit lower.

The most dangerous jobs are a lot more dangerous, both things can be true at once.

My understanding that pensions are a monthly, not a lump sum, amount.

What guaranteed monthly cash value would you consider equivalent to a $500K pension in today's environment for someone who retires at 55?
Quite a few of them don't retire at 55. The racket going in the police (and fire department too) is to feign an injury and go on disability for years before actually retiring.

So, the bill to the taxpayers probably adds up to over 500 grand over the life of a retired cop. If you don't include medical coverage for him and his family while he's on the force.

And a very large percentage of those deaths are accidental/traffic related. One source that keeps track counts heart attacks suffered on duty.
That would be ODMP, the Officer Down Memorial Page, which counts heart attacks during training, and traffic accidents that were the officer's own fault.

Yes, but he said safest and provided that source. Traffic accidents are as much as a job hazard as people shooting at you.
Traffic accidents are a hazard for anyone who drives while on the clock. My brother-in-law just retired from OTR trucking after more than three million accident-free miles.

Of course, he was never driving 100+ without lights and sirens to bust someone for having a burned-out bulb.

TYKE: “It's not the most dangerous job by far and the populace isn't out to get them. That's the bottom line.”

I count 1 fact and 2 opinions. It made me laugh ...thanks

If the populace were out to get them they'd actually make the most dangerous job list. And not mostly because they are in traffic collisions.

Laugh all you wish, makes no difference to me.

My understanding that pensions are a monthly, not a lump sum, amount.

What guaranteed monthly cash value would you consider equivalent to a $500K pension in today's environment for someone who retires at 55?

Depending on how it's invested, a $500k lump sum would probably pay $30k/year over the long term, maybe a little more? That's a lot of math and projecting, if I was good at that I'd be working for Goldman or Berkshire. Assuming you'd not want to hit principle? Just off the top of my head math, 10% return with some good and some dry years in the mix is the general average for stock indexes as I've been told, I went low with my 'estimate' earlier. If you go safer, it'd be less.

And if you read the news, it's not 'guaranteed'. There are a couple big cities up in your neck of the woods that are in deep trouble because the pensions are going into default, hell almost every large city is having issues with this. When they go into default, they stop paying. Some of those departments are SSI exempt, so when the payments stop, retirees will have no income at all. I'm all for changing retirement plans or doing away with them, but what do you do with a 70 year old guy who retired 10-20 years ago? Is he SOL because he lived up to his end of the bargain? You also have to look at who would even do the job if there wasn't a retirement benefit. Recruitment is bad enough now, I can only imagine what the 'qualified' pool would look like then.

If the populace were out to get them they'd actually make the most dangerous job list. And not mostly because they are in traffic collisions.

That's the thing though, 'the populace' isn't out to get anyone. It's a very small percentage of people who are very bad. The problem is, they don't have 'I'm a scumbag' tattooed on their forehead (ok, some do).

When you walk up on a scene, you sometimes have mere seconds to figure it out. Some cops are good at it, some aren't. Some get to walk away from mistakes, some don't. The odd thing is, some of the most charismatic people I've arrested are absolutely the worst of society.

Last edited:
Depending on how it's invested, a $500k lump sum would probably pay $30k/year over the long term, maybe a little more? That's a lot of math and projecting, if I was good at that I'd be working for Goldman or Berkshire. Assuming you'd not want to hit principle? Just off the top of my head math, 10% return with some good and some dry years in the mix is the general average for stock indexes as I've been told, I went low with my 'estimate' earlier. If you go safer, it'd be less.

And if you read the news, it's not 'guaranteed'. There are a couple big cities up in your neck of the woods that are in deep trouble because the pensions are going into default, hell almost every large city is having issues with this. When they go into default, they stop paying. Some of those departments are SSI exempt, so when the payments stop, retirees will have no income at all. I'm all for changing retirement plans or doing away with them, but what do you do with a 70 year old guy who retired 10-20 years ago? Is he SOL because he lived up to his end of the bargain? You also have to look at who would even do the job if there wasn't a retirement benefit. Recruitment is bad enough now, I can only imagine what the 'qualified' pool would look like then.

That's the thing though, 'the populace' isn't out to get anyone. It's a very small percentage of people who are very bad. The problem is, they don't have 'I'm a scumbag' tattooed on their forehead (ok, some do).

When you walk up on a scene, you sometimes have mere seconds to figure it out. Some cops are good at it, some aren't. Some get to walk away from mistakes, some don't. The odd thing is, some of the most charismatic people I've arrested are absolutely the worst of society.

Again I have a hard time crying poor mouth when cops in my neck of the woods are pulling in 6 figures a year after a year or 2 on the force. Also up here they don't have problems recruiting cops, at all. Any time these towns or municipalities start drying out the well they do what they do best... "increase revenues".

Your Tax Dollars at Work: Payrolls | Boston Herald

I got 6 pages deep of six figure salaries under State PD before I decided to stop hitting "next page". Ohh and that's not including OT... side note if you don't filter the results it goes to show how much of a scam a college education is.

All of which have nothing to do with a man being murdered.

Philip Brailsford was momentarily rehired by the city of Mesa so that he could collect $30K per year in disability.

Damn good to be a cop. Murder someone, claim your murder of someone was traumatic, and collect a free paycheck for life at 28 without having to work! What. A. Deal.

I sure as hell hope not. Otherwise the government has just legalized murder for itself, with complete immunity.

Just? Also lol.

What do you think qualified immunity is about? It’s in the name. There wouldn’t be a need for immunity if it was for reasonable and lawful conduct.

Back
Top Bottom