• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dallas PO enters wrong apartment, kills occupant

And she’s a she. There’s clearly bias.

I doubt if a random guy had walked in and shot Botham Jean in the same manner she did, that he’d have only gotten 10 years or been treated with such compassion, given hugs, etc.
Everyone keeps looking at this case through non-Texas lenses.

In Texas, a non-cop man in the same circumstances (including being white) might not have been charged. Or, might have been charged with something lesser.

That assumes that the non-cop man recognized his mistake and didn't call all his cop buddies to surround and protect him.

Remove the badge and uniform from this situation, and if there was a conviction, I would expect no more than two years served. That's based on my living in Texas for 24 years and being actively involved in the gun world and LE matters there.

Ten years ago, no cop would have even been charged in this situation. Dallas has made big strides towards holding police accountable to the higher standard we expect of them.

I was surprised to hear her say "yes" when asked if she was trying to kill him. Witness coaching 101 would say the answer is "no, I was trying to stop him". That makes me wonder about the competence of the defense team.

Sounds more like manslaughter than murder.

I'm wondering if that wasn't intentional so if she got convicted she could appeal on the grounds of ineffective counsel.

I was surprised to hear her say "yes" when asked if she was trying to kill him. Witness coaching 101 would say the answer is "no, I was trying to stop him". That makes me wonder about the competence of the defense team.

Sounds more like manslaughter than murder.

I think that was more a function of the mentality of cops. I think a cops mentality is that they do try to kill to stop the threat. Cop culture has taught them that no matter what level of force they use, it is cop justifiable.

A guy gets swatted, answers the random knock on door with no weapon and a cop shoots and kills him, nope no charges. There was no real threat and honestly no perceived threat and a dude ends up dead with no charges against the killer. I could at least make a case that this woman cop did have a perceived threat. She did think someone was in her apartment, unfortunately for her and the victim, the cop training she received said to shoot and we will take care of the details later. She felt justified the entire time which is why she offered no help to the dying dude.

Key witness in Amber Guyger murder trial shot and killed days after guilty verdict

A key witness in the murder trial of Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was shot and killed at an apartment complex late Friday, according to an attorney representing the family of the man Guyger shot.

"Joshua Brown, the next-door neighbor of [Botham Jean], was killed last night after being shot several times by an unknown assailant," S. Lee Merritt posted to social media on Saturday.

According to The Dallas Morning News, the 28-year-old Brown was found with multiple gunshot wounds at the complex near the city's Medical District at around 10:30 p.m. He was pronounced dead at Parkland Memorial Hospital.

The paper reported that witnesses told police they heard several gunshots and saw a silver four-door sedan speeding out of the complex parking lot.

"An ADA [assistant district attorney] has confirmed that it was, in fact, Brown who was killed, although they have yet to identify a suspect or motive for the shooting," Merritt said. "The case is now in the hands of the Dallas Police Department."

Brown lived across the hall from Jean at the South Side Flats apartments and testified in court about the night Jean was killed.

Joshua Brown was shot in his mouth & chest. He was exiting his car at his apt when he was ambushed & shot at close range. His mother asked my office to help find out who murdered her son. She suspects foul play. He had no known enemies. He worked for a living. We need answers.

In a tweet, Merrit said that Brown was shot in the mouth and in his chest as he got out of his car at his apartment complex, but he later clarified that exactly where Brown was shot was disputed. Merrit described the shooting as an “ambush” and as occurring at “close range.” Merrit said that he will investigate the killing.

View: https://twitter.com/MeritLaw/status/1180604548596916224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Fus%2Fkey-witness-amber-guyger-botham-jean-murder

Last edited:
So it is highly probable a police officer could be involved in a revenge killing, but they let the local PD investigate?

Don't worry. Police are a model of integrity. I'm sure they'll hand this just as appropriately as the Amber Guyger case, in which they determined she did nothing wrong and recommended no charges. They'll be on top of this case, giving press conferences letting everybody know how thoroughly they are investigating but have no suspects or leads. Just one of those unsolvable cases, nothing the can do. Sorry.

Don't worry. Police are a model of integrity. I'm sure they'll hand this just as appropriately as the Amber Guyger case, in which they determined she did nothing wrong and recommended no charges. They'll be on top of this case, giving press conferences letting everybody know how thoroughly they are investigating but have no suspects or leads. Just one of those unsolvable cases, nothing the can do. Sorry.

Jesus, they just convicted one cop of murder. Can't they have one day before we jump on the bandwagon again?

On the other hand, I hope the husband and/or boyfriend have a good alibi.

"They" didn't just convict her. I'm sorry you might not like to hear it, but the police did their best to (unsuccessfully) defend her. The lead investigator testified in her favor. Then days later a witness is murdered. There is no bandwagon to jump on. The optics aren't favorable. If a gang member was just convicted of murder and then days later a witness who just testified against them was found murdered, nobody would be questioning the reasonableness of the speculation it's related.

Those lawyers and community organizers that held their own press conference will be all over this, I'm sure. I don't know what the results will be but I can see some unrest in that community soon.

This is Trayvon Martins family attorney who got involved in this case.

EXCLUSIVE: Civil Rights Attorney Benjamin Crump demands former Dallas officer, Amber Guyger be charged with tampering of evidence and conspiracy on top of murder

“This is a case of double standards and double talk,” said Crump who has been in the courtroom since the beginning of the trial.

“What is heartbreaking is to see how the police are doing everything in their power to protect this killer from being brought to justice. There is damning evidence that Amber Guyger and her partner/lover were sexting and then it comes out that she deleted all of her text messages and Rivera also deleted his texts and sexually explicit images that they shared with one another. Why are they not being charged with tampering of evidence or a conspiracy or Rivera with aiding and abetting? He destroyed evidence that was pertinent to what happened here.”

ETA: this is Crump and he is now working for the attorney hired for the dead witness. Attorney Merritt in the link below.
Here is one photo/link.

View: https://twitter.com/AllisonFox4News/status/1179482349148475394

Last edited:
So it is highly probable a police officer could be involved in a revenge killing, but they let the local PD investigate?

Jesus, they just convicted one cop of murder. Can't they have one day before we jump on the bandwagon again?

On the other hand, I hope the husband and/or boyfriend have a good alibi.
I'm sure that the guilty party has arranged a good alibi.

I'm not going to be shocked if a LEO is implicated.

Sad that now two good men have been killed unnecessarily.

I'm sure that the guilty party has arranged a good alibi.

I'm not going to be shocked if a LEO is implicated.

Sad that now two good men have been killed unnecessarily.

Shot in the mouth too, that’s some old school northeast messaging. Shame, sounds like a brave kid trying to do the right thing and caught in a shitshow.

He could have moved to a new apartment, but where he was shot (4600 Cedar Springs Rd) was 5 miles from the South Side Flats where he lived across the hall from Botham Jean.

Just tossing that factoid in there.

I suspect that family members on both sides are going to war shortly. This is going to end in buckets of bloodshed once the street gathers information.

And what are the odds of that? Granted it varies from place to place, but typically your odds of getting murdered are around 1 in 100,000 per year, all else equal. And he got murdered in a week. So it's a guess what time frame would be appropriate to send a message, so let's say a month. That would be 1 in 1 million odds of mysteriously getting murdered within a month after testifying against someone you're not supposed to testify against. Oh, and it was mafia/government-agent style, just like in the movies. I doubt one of his black friends murdered him because he testified AGAINST the cop.... seems unlikely.

Where is Black Lives Matter in this? They are very eager to go nuts about some black guy who dies in a legitimate/necessary shooting. But this couldn't possibly be more obvious who's in the wrong here. Two black guys murdered. And the murderers are obvious, and exactly who BLM claims to be at odds with. They should be forming a massive protest (riot?) in that city around the police station.

I doubt it. that whole area is a shit hole. The local "parole office" is right there. there are frequently robberies and killings in that area. There's a police station and a SWAT team (I believe) stationed right there! It's a high crime area.

A high crime area where people routinely get shot in the mouth?

C'mon. There's a point at which you need to investigate a crime and you start at the highest probability items. You're telling me be the primary witness in a trial that just resulted in a guilty verdict isn't the number one thing on that list???

Society makes different assumptions when important or special people are involved.

For example, consider the man who has had three wives die under mysterious circumstance and remarried shortly thereafter each time. Society, the police, everyone immediately assumes he had something to do with it and LE starts an investigation based on that assumption.

Now, consider the case of a very high profile politician, and a statistically very large number of people close to her business and/or political empire start dying at premature ages. Nope, thing to see here, just coincidence.

Who knows, but I can tell you that the key witness in a case against the Revere PD had to be kept in witness protection somewhere way the hell out in the Midwest to be sure he made it to trial.
So it's not like this stuff is unheard of.

Did that guy really wear a DragonBallZ shirt to court that day?

Maybe the Fashion Police was looking for revenge.

Idiotic sentence. 10 years for a careless and completely preventable loss of innocent life. It's horrific don't get me wrong. But shit happens. I say she gets 3 years and community service. 10 is ridiculous.
FIFY. I file a flat tire under "shit happens." This girl got off easy for what she did, especially when eligible for parole in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom