• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dallas PO enters wrong apartment, kills occupant

Bull Shite: DA trick question, All cop's in the are USA trained to kill, 2 center mass 1 to the electrical grid.
This is patently untrue. I spend 23 years qualifying in a federal LE position, the last 19 years at their highest level of certification. I retired in 2014, and the standards haven't changed.

During that entire time, and still, every officer is taught to shoot center mass. Nothing else. No leg shots, hand shots, or head shots: center mass until the threat is stopped.

In this case the cop made a stupid mistake in killing the guy, but it wasn't out of malice. It's still good that she's going to prison. But there are countless other cases of cops clearly and viciously murdering unarmed people, and those cops usually get no jail time.

Ten years.

It's far less than I would have voted, but the conviction itself is the victory. I hope she does the full ten, and I hope every day of those ten years is tougher than the day before, but not as tough as the day after.

Prosecutors had requested jurors sentence Guyger to 28 years in prison to represent Jean's 28th birthday this past Sunday.
I'd guessed 15 to 20; pretty much right in the middle between what was requested and what she got. A bit disappointing, but not surprising,

I wondered about the wisdom of her testifying at her own criminal trial.

Any thoughts?

I don't think it would have made one difference, one way or another. One might even argue that she probably should have just sucked for a plea deal. There's literally no way out for
someone this stupid. No juror is going to relate to "walking in the wrong house and shooting someone". Even standard criminal motivations are usually less dumb than
that.... [laugh]

-Mike

Too bad the police are trained to shoot first and ask questions later. Otherwise the man would be alive, and this woman wouldn't be going to prison.

I agree, Total BS!!!! She’ll be out in 2 and working for some sheriffs department in Kansas somewhere. I guess it’s better than nothing

She has to serve 5.

I’d hope a 1st degree felony conviction for murder would be disqualifying to ever be a cop again everywhere in the world.

Botham Jean’s brother gave a victim impact statement. Not sure there’s ever been this sort of compassion shown before.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dJH4adVazl4

She has to serve 5.

I’d hope a 1st degree felony conviction for murder would be disqualifying to ever be a cop again everywhere in the world.

Botham Jean’s brother gave a victim impact statement. Not sure there’s ever been this sort of compassion shown before.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dJH4adVazl4

That was heartbreaking. He’s a better man than most.

That was heartbreaking. He’s a better man than most.

Better than me, I'll say that.

Look, I'm not unsympathetic. I'm sure she feels terrible about what she did, and I doubt she's an evil person. But what she did was BEYOND egregious and, in my view, it was unforgivable. Everything we're hearing about this victim is that he was a first-rate guy, but even if he was a shitbag? Wouldn't matter to me. We trust cops to fairly enforce the law. When one goes haywire enough to execute a citizen just because she's tired and the coworker she was screwing broke up with her, there needs to be zero tolerance.

Yeah. Jean's brother went farther than I'd ever be able to.

I was surprised to hear her say "yes" when asked if she was trying to kill him. Witness coaching 101 would say the answer is "no, I was trying to stop him". That makes me wonder about the competence of the defense team.

Sounds more like manslaughter than murder.

I was surprised to hear her say "yes" when asked if she was trying to kill him. Witness coaching 101 would say the answer is "no, I was trying to stop him". That makes me wonder about the competence of the defense team.

As a Marine, I was taught to deliver accurate rifle and SAW fire to kill enemies of the United States. As a civilian, I do not have that luxury. I would testify that I aimed center of mass to stop the threat and would reiterate the fact that I was in fear for my life and the lives of my family. I would follow legal advice and keep my words, which can easily hang you in court, to a minimum.

I agree, Total BS!!!! She’ll be out in 2 and working for some sheriffs department in Kansas somewhere. I guess it’s better than nothing
She is all done; a pariah in the LEO community and will soon be forgotten by her former cop comrades. She undermined the credibility of her former agency. Same thing happened about 18 years ago when the horrid neo-Nazi background of then-Navy SEAL Matthew Buschbacher was exposed. He was outed while serving in Iraq by a couple of civil-rights organizations and reported to NCIS. Since he was already in-country, he was immediately discharged (honorably!) upon his return stateside and not allowed to re-enlist. He shamed the stellar reputation of the SEALS and is considered a POS by them. He now lives in Denver and teaches lonely guys and other social misfits how to pick up women. Even wrote a book on the subject! I feel sorry for the poor lady who gets stuck with him!

Not sure if it impacted the jury, but really it has no impact on the law. Whether she shot to stop him or to kill him, she intended to shoot him and he died. It’s either murder or justified self defense either way.

How so? Murder is an intentional killing. Manslaughter is recklessly causing death. She admitted she intended to shoot him. Had she said she was shooting to scare him and hit him accidentally (ie. recklessly), there’d be a case for manslaughter.

How so? Murder is an intentional killing. Manslaughter is recklessly causing death. She admitted she intended to shoot him. Had she said she was shooting to scare him and hit him accidentally (ie. recklessly), there’d be a case for manslaughter.

Murder can get knocked down to manslaughter for a lot of different reasons, although obviously this varies from state to
state quite a bit... but in a lot of places if she hadn't run her mouth (and supplied intent etc) this could have easily gone up as some kind of involuntary manslaughter charge.

I think there's a lot of f***ey things with this case (in terms of mechanics) but she's still getting off pretty light regardless.

-Mike

... Not sure there’s ever been this sort of compassion shown before.

Once...

TBBC_IMG_00002.jpg

Saw some video from the court room. The bailiff comes over and fixes her hair for her before the verdict was given. Afterward the sentencing the judge comes down and gives her a bible and a hug.

All murderers get this nice of treatment while court right? I'm sure being a cop would have nothing to do with that or cause favoritism right???

Saw some video from the court room. The bailiff comes over and fixes her hair for her before the verdict was given. Afterward the sentencing the judge comes down and gives her a bible and a hug.

All murderers get this nice of treatment while court right? I'm sure being a cop would have nothing to do with that or cause favoritism right???

I was coming to post the link

Ex-Dallas cop in deadly shooting hugged by judge

5c88ef09-4b21-4a66-95cd-6eefaf332aa4-large16x9_AP19276009856037.jpg

And she’s a she. There’s clearly bias.

I doubt if a random guy had walked in and shot Botham Jean in the same manner she did, that he’d have only gotten 10 years or been treated with such compassion, given hugs, etc.

The judge hugging her is FAR less annoying to me than the judge giving her a bible and telling her to read John 3:16.

Back
Top Bottom