Daily show on open carry

jar

The Daily show did a piece on an open carry activist. I think it was actually pretty balanced. They obviously made fun of him, but they also called the Brady Campaign "a well funded hate group". The guy took a risk talking to them, but I think he did *very* well.

[video]http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-april-12-2010/open-carrier-discrimination[/video]

The Daily Show is pretty biased on this subject. Props to the guy for talking to them, but it was clearly satirical and not in our favor.

Aww come on. It was funny as hell when the guy, covered in firearms, turns to the crowd and cries, "Stop staring at me! What! Why am I different!?!"

There's a double entendre there in the whole bit. Subtle, but you can find it. Comedy Central writers come up with some good ones at times.

Wow, Doobie has a Black twin brother!

Doobie_Twin.jpg

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

While funny, I did a double take when I saw the map. Apparently NH isn't an open carry state according to the daily show.

FOLKS! It was a comedy skit for crying out loud. It was designed to make open carriers look like idiots. You didn't think the Daily show would really interview a REAL open carrier, did you? (But it was pretty funny)

FOLKS! It was a comedy skit for crying out loud. It was designed to make open carriers look like idiots. You didn't think the Daily show would really interview a REAL open carrier, did you? (But it was pretty funny)

Correct, thanks for pointing that out, I dont care either way I dont watch him if you choose to support someone like him thats your choice.

They did. John Pierce is the co-founder of opencarry.org.

Alot of states are Open Carry States(ME, NH, VT, CT..Not sure about RI..and Mass has Suitability) ..but only a few are "true" open carry states..meaning no permit needed to OC Loaded, including in a vehicle..

The Daily Show made fun of both sides... which is key. The subject matter is a very serious thing for most of us... but c'mon... a little humor and the ability to laugh at ourselves is also important [smile]

The "same body type" comment at the end was priceless [laugh]

While funny, I did a double take when I saw the map. Apparently NH isn't an open carry state according to the daily show.

According to the Daily Show and OpenCarry.org (the website the guy being interviewed runs). The Twelve states they showed on the map are the "Gold Star Open Carry States" the states that are yellow on the map in the link below.... to get a description of what that entails click on that color on the map key. As buketduder said it has to do with the fact that you cant open carry in a car unless licensed in NH that keeps NH from being a gold state.

http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html

WV is open carry - no permit required, sidearms only, no shotguns.
You'll see it in Sheets and Walmart everyday.
No one needs to call the SWAT Team or Trauma Councilors or the kids....

Like Ive always said, I only buy guns so I can have them destroyed. Its for the kids!

From the Bradys

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
> -----------------------------
>
>
>
> Dear xxxxxx,
>
> I thought you might enjoy seeing The Daily Show segment on
> open carry guns:
>
>
> The Daily Show's Wyatt Cenac came to the office a few weeks
> ago to interview me about the recent rash of people openly
> carrying guns in public.
>
> To give you the inside scoop about interviews like this --
> Wyatt asked me questions for almost two hours. I was
> told to be the "straight" man and not to laugh at his
> outrageous and funny questions.
>
> While The Daily Show pokes fun at those who carry guns
> openly, it just doesn't make sense for the safety of our
> families to have more guns being carried by more people in
> more public places. It's the wrong direction for this
> country to head.
>
> ****************************
> Watch the Brady Campaign on The Daily Show:
>
>
> Facebook It:
> ****************************
>
> As I said in the clip, gun owners should leave their guns
> at home. Let's keep them out of places like coffee shops,
> sports stadiums, and schools.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Paul Helmke, President
> Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
>
> P.S. If you haven't signed our petition urging Starbucks to
> keep guns out of their stores, please do so now. Click
> here:

The Daily Show made fun of both sides... which is key. The subject matter is a very serious thing for most of us... but c'mon... a little humor and the ability to laugh at ourselves is also important [smile]

The "same body type" comment at the end was priceless [laugh]

+1

I just about pissed myself when I saw the "Heather's mommy has two glocks" book.

If MA OKed open carry tomorrow , how many would actually do it?

Thread drift? Well I'll take the bait anyway.

No. First because I'm not interesting in having a discussion with people who don't get it. I think that's called a "battle of wits with an unarmed man". [smile] Second because I carry for protection, not to make a statement, and I prefer the element of surprise.

But, it's ok with me if others want to OC.

I'll say one other thing about this. All I really want is 1) CCW everywhere with full reciprocity 2) shall issue everywhere 3) no stupid equipment restrictions or registrations.

After that, I want to be left the hell alone.

Thread drift? Well I'll take the bait anyway.

No. First because I'm not interesting in having a discussion with people who don't get it. I think that's called a "battle of wits with an unarmed man". [smile] Second because I carry for protection, not to make a statement, and I prefer the element of surprise.

But, it's ok with me if others want to OC.

+1

I'll say one other thing about this. All I really want is 1) CCW everywhere with full reciprocity 2) shall issue everywhere 3) no stupid equipment restrictions or registrations.

After that, I want to be left the hell alone.

Pretty much agreed, though I want constitutional carry everywhere. I think the Nevada state legislature just passed that, not sure if their governor has signed it yet. That'd make them in fine company with Alaska and Vermont =)

Permits shouldn't be required... if someone is a dangerous criminal, they should still be in jail, so I fail to see why a permit should be necessary.

Rob Riggle who used to work on The Daily Show was a very pro gun guy and a Marine officer. I read where he used to take members of the show to gun ranges to shoot and introduce new people to shooting sports. I feel it was a well done humorous piece.

Gunner

Back
Top Bottom