CZ75 Patent

Anyone know if CZ ever patented the CZ75?

it's well past 20 years from 1975 and I've read that CZ failed to patent the 75's design leading to all the rampant copying of the design (tanfolglio, et al. . . . it's the "1911 of Europe").

I just can't find anything that says CZ75 is not on patent.

My weak lawyer skills tell me that it's just straight up not on patent since everyone and their brother has a version of it in Europe.

Thanks!

According to wikipedia:
CZ 75 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although the model was developed for export purposes (the standard pistol cartridge of the Czechoslovak armed forces was the Soviet 7.62×25mm Tokarev, which later replaced it with the Warsaw Pact standard 9mm Makarov pistol cartridge), Koucký's domestic patents regarding the design were put into category of "secret patents". This meant, that nobody could learn about their existence, but also nobody could register the same design in Czechoslovakia. At the same time neither Koucký nor the company could file for patent protection abroad. Consequently, large number of other manufacturers began offering pistols based on CZ 75 design (see Clones, copies, and variants by other manufacturers).[2]

Interesting to learn - I didn't realize that.

Back
Top Bottom