Possession of .22LR conversion kit for CZ75

Is it legal for me to possess a .22LR KADET conversion kit for a CZ75 before I have my LTC?
I don;t have any other hardware and the conversion kit is the slide (including barrel) and a 10 round mag.

Why? I'm an engineering and I'm pretty excited to learn about firearm mechanisms, etc.

Thanks.

Interesting. Not that there is much in the slide other than the barrel, spring a chunk of metal but it's something to tide me over until things come in.
Any other thoughts? For some reason I can't f anything on this subject.

I guess this also begs the question:
When you buy a conversion kit do you have to have it registered or do other paper work?
From what I can figure out the law seems to think the firearm is mostly the lower frame and trigger assembly.

The only thing that requires transfer/registration is the frame/receiver.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

Under Ma. Law its only a "firearm" when its assembled. You wouldn't have all the major parts (the frame) and it would be incapable of "firing a shot"

AFT considers a handgun frame to be the "gun", the lower receiver on a AR type gun etc. Basically the part that gets the serial number stamped on it. (that's an oversimplification but in most cases it works)

P.S. Welcome to NES!

Last edited:
IIRC, only Magazines in excess of 10 round capacity are regulated.

No license is required to posses a mag unless it is over 10rd, and then it is a minimum of a class B LTC.

This is the correct answer!!

Perfectly legal to own w/o any license at all.

I'll admit that I was surprised when I did a bit of research and discovered that 10rd mags are NOT regulated in MA. Like a prior poster above, I had thought you needed a LTC to possess any pistol mags . . . but that is ONLY the case for large-capacity mags (>10 for pistol/rifle and >5 for shotgun).

The OP is GTG.

Are .22 cal magazines treated differently ?

Are .22 cal rim-fire magazines treated any differently, or are they still treated as being large capacity when they hold over 10 rounds? Built-in magazines such as those on Marlin and Winchester pump and lever action .22 rifles holding 15 or more rounds don't seem to be proscribed. Just curious.

Thanks in Advance for the Info & your Time

Are .22 cal rim-fire magazines treated any differently, or are they still treated as being large capacity when they hold over 10 rounds? Built-in magazines such as those on Marlin and Winchester pump and lever action .22 rifles holding 15 or more rounds don't seem to be proscribed. Just curious.

That's because there is a specific exemption in the law for "tubular" feeding devices for .22 rimfires, that's why those guns are not large capacity.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom