Cutting gun case foam? Tips?

DW357

NES Member
So I got a new pelican case for my Desert Eagle 3 barrel set and some 2 inch polyethylene (rigid) foam.

Is there a preferred tool to cut precise lines/layouts? I used a long razor blade which cuts fine but it’s hard to keep the blade straight and not cutting at an angle.

A basic rectangular square cutout is easy but the shape of the gun is difficult to do.

Any suggestions? Thought about trying one of those hot electric knife things on Amazon but reviews are mixed.
Amazon product ASIN B096SB93LQView: https://www.amazon.com/Cooltop-Styrofoam-Electric-Cutting-Cleaning/dp/B096SB93LQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=3VKPR3AUBTBPF&keywords=rifle+case+foam+cutter&qid=1664743886&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=rifle+case+foam+cutter%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-8#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

7A551731-BCC4-4CDD-BA93-DBDAB16CF626.jpeg

I wanted to try the hot wire method. Razors/knives just don't work for me.
What about milling out a block of aluminum in the shape of the gun and heating it up to 1000 degrees and placing it on the foam and letting it melt the shape out. Yeah. That will work.
I saw a site a few years back that sold pre-cut foam for pelican cases. Probably big $$$$.

I wanted to try the hot wire method. Razors/knives just don't work for me.
What about milling out a block of aluminum in the shape of the gun and heating it up to 1000 degrees and placing it on the foam and letting it melt the shape out. Yeah. That will work.
I saw a site a few years back that sold pre-cut foam for pelican cases. Probably big $$$$.
Genius! 😆
Ya the razor is just too damn flimsy through 2 inches of foam. If it was just an inch or so I think a razor would be okay.

Finding precut foam for my setup might be tough 🤣

I’ve thought about this foam cutting wires. They seem pretty simple

These guys will custom cut foam for you

I'll trace the outline with a paint pen and then use a hot knife to cut foam for rifle cases. Once cut, I spray a number of coats with that plasti-dip spray stuff to strengthen the foam. Works and it looks custom cut with nice clean edges ... if you don't mind nasty fumes from the operation.

1664746938947.png

They can be purchased on Amazon for not too much. If you are patient with the cuts, you can probably do a better job than I. E.g:

IMG_20221002_174925.jpg IMG_20221002_180225.jpg

Last edited:
I'll trace the outline with a paint pen and then use a hot knife to cut foam for rifle cases. Once cut, I spray a number of coats with that plasti-dip spray stuff to strengthen the foam. Works and it looks custom cut with nice clean edges ... if you don't mind nasty fumes from the operation.

View attachment 668747

They can be purchased on Amazon for not too much. If you are patient with the cuts, you can probably do a better job than I. E.g:

View attachment 668759
Niice! Thanks for chiming in. I think the hot knife or wire is the way to go. If I only needed square shapes cut out I could do that with a razor. But this is more difficult with the gun etc.

Think I’ll order the knife on Amazon now

Niice! Thanks for chiming in. I think the hot knife or wire is the way to go. If I only needed square shapes cut out I could do that with a razor. But this is more difficult with the gun etc.

Think I’ll order the knife on Amazon now
2A Engraving does (or at least did) custom laser cut foam for cases. He engraved a couple SBRs for me and is a good dude.

do you guys generally have a case for each gun you own, or just for a few special guns.. If/when you sell a gun with a custom foam case, do you generally include the case, or just get new foam for a new gun.

I hate the idea of a unitasker,

do you guys generally have a case for each gun you own, or just for a few special guns.. If/when you sell a gun with a custom foam case, do you generally include the case, or just get new foam for a new gun.

I hate the idea of a unitasker,
I have unitasker cases for competition rifles that may become checked luggage or if I want to baby the optic while driving.

But most of my guns share generic soft rifle/pistol cases or get broken down and Velcro secured in more discreet, generic soft cases.

Last edited:
I cut foam once for a rifle and regretted it. So now I prefer to use egg crate foam and just have it snug enough to sandwich it between layers.

So I got a new pelican case for my Desert Eagle 3 barrel set and some 2 inch polyethylene (rigid) foam.

Is there a preferred tool to cut precise lines/layouts? I used a long razor blade which cuts fine but it’s hard to keep the blade straight and not cutting at an angle.

A basic rectangular square cutout is easy but the shape of the gun is difficult to do.

Any suggestions? Thought about trying one of those hot electric knife things on Amazon but reviews are mixed.
Amazon product ASIN B096SB93LQView: https://www.amazon.com/Cooltop-Styrofoam-Electric-Cutting-Cleaning/dp/B096SB93LQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=3VKPR3AUBTBPF&keywords=rifle+case+foam+cutter&qid=1664743886&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=rifle+case+foam+cutter%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-8#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

View attachment 668730
I tried hot knife wire cutter, it was sh*t.

A sharp razor works.

View attachment 668730
Drywall saw

I used one of those utility knives from Lowes that you can extend out of the handle a couple of inches. It has the "snap-off blades" about every 1/2".
Use pins around your items, then a marker on the foam. Start the cut and spread the foam as you cut. Works great with the closed-cell foam....
ETA: toothpicks or pins...

I used one of those utility knives from Lowes that you can extend out of the handle a couple of inches. It has the "snap-off blades" about every 1/2".
Use pins around your items, then a marker on the foam. Start the cut and spread the foam as you cut. Works great with the closed-cell foam....
ETA: toothpicks or pins...
I used that same type of utility knife and it works easily for basic square cuts but once you get into these weird shapes of the gun, it’s hard to keep the knife straight up and down and not at an angle. If the blade didn’t flex or maybe if the foam was thinner maybe it would be easier? Maybe I need more practice. I’ll do some testing with the hot knife and then decide how to proceed lol

I use a simple 3 step process. Not responsible for you F-ing up step 3.

Step 1: Outline guns / accessories with white or black grease pencil.
Step 2: Wait until wife is out of the house for the required time.
Step 3: Cut outlines with the electric carving knife you use for the Thanksgiving turkey and most importantly, finish before she returns home.

Looks pretty decent in my 2 rifle Pelican cases and is quick. Might take me a while to post a pic, but occasionally folks have asked if the case was bought pre-cut.

After researching it a fair amount, and watching a few videos recommending this method, I ended up buying one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B00006IUX1View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IUX1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I experimented with it a bit, and it seems to work real well, but ended up not doing the case as I had originally intended.

Frank
I have the exact same one lol. I tried it but wasn’t impressed. Maybe the blades are dull as I’ve used it to cut a bunch of rockwool insulation over the years lol

Get the ones with the pre-cut squares!!
The pelican case came with that pluck foam but unfortunately it was one layer of 4-5 inch thick foam. My Apache case had multiple layers of pluck foam which was nice since you could control the depth.
I suppose I could have bought some thinner pluck foam to control the depth but I just thought the closed cell foam would hold the gun and extra barrels better 2868571C-7A41-4DCB-8153-9890F33D5B85.jpeg

My pelican case has a removable layer to cut. I take it out, flip it over, and lay out the rifle and accessories I’m going to cut openings for and trace outlines with a silver marker On the back of the foam. I use an electric carving knife to cut out inside the traced lines to get a snug fit. The downside is the traced lines are still there, but when you flip foam back over the lines are hidden

I initially cut out the insert for a generic Remington 700 in Boyd’s AT1 stock, which pretty well fit most my Remingtons. When I finished my current PRS rifle ( longer barrel, extra length for brake, stock larger taller and larger scope etc) I purchased a second piece of foam and cut it specific to that rifle. That made the case specific to that one rifle unless I put the old foam back in.

Back
Top Bottom