Cutting gun case foam? Tips?

I tried hot knife wire cutter, it was sh*t.

A sharp razor works.
Sounds like a personal problem ;)

Hot wire is great, once you get the hang of it. Too slow, and you burn the foam; too fast and it drags.

You're right, though. With the right technique, razor knives are great.

I use a simple 3 step process. Not responsible for you F-ing up step 3.

Step 1: Outline guns / accessories with white or black grease pencil.
Step 2: Wait until wife is out of the house for the required time.
Step 3: Cut outlines with the electric carving knife you use for the Thanksgiving turkey and most importantly, finish before she returns home.

Looks pretty decent in my 2 rifle Pelican cases and is quick. Might take me a while to post a pic, but occasionally folks have asked if the case was bought pre-cut.
This works even better if you retire the lawn tool to craft projects and use real knives to carve the turkey.

@andrew1220 you can try sharpening the blades with a round file.

The pelican case came with that pluck foam but unfortunately it was one layer of 4-5 inch thick foam. My Apache case had multiple layers of pluck foam which was nice since you could control the depth.
I suppose I could have bought some thinner pluck foam to control the depth but I just thought the closed cell foam would hold the gun and extra barrels betterView attachment 668893
Were you drunk when you did those outlines?

do you guys generally have a case for each gun you own, or just for a few special guns.. If/when you sell a gun with a custom foam case, do you generally include the case, or just get new foam for a new gun.

I hate the idea of a unitasker,
I tend to have one for every 2 revolvers, but that is because I buy revolvers with long a** barrels. So one case accommodates 2. When I buy a third I also buy a new case for the third and the eventual fourth and so on ...

I don't sell my guns so that is not a problem.

For the vast majority of people that own more common sized guns such as a 1911, a normal case will be enough and there is no need to cut it.

For example, for all my other common sized guns I only own two other cases and put whatever gun I am taking to the range that day.

Sounds like a personal problem ;)

Hot wire is great, once you get the hang of it. Too slow, and you burn the foam; too fast and it drags.

You're right, though. With the right technique, razor knives are great.

This works even better if you retire the lawn tool to craft projects and use real knives to carve the turkey.

@andrew1220 you can try sharpening the blades with a round file.
I have some decent kitchen knives and used them for the turkey. Reverted to the hedge trimmer because it's more fun.

The pelican case came with that pluck foam but unfortunately it was one layer of 4-5 inch thick foam. My Apache case had multiple layers of pluck foam which was nice since you could control the depth.
I suppose I could have bought some thinner pluck foam to control the depth but I just thought the closed cell foam would hold the gun and extra barrels betterView attachment 668893
Why even try? You’re just gonna break it anyways!!

Even the hot knife isn’t that easy and you had to have a dedicated case for each gun obviously..

I go about it a few different ways. But I don’t care what it looks like.

As far as heating up a piece of metal dropping in there why not just dropped your gun in? After you shoot.

Even the hot knife isn’t that easy

I find it very easy. Like cutting through butter. Some of the knives have a temperature adjustment and there are different styles of elements you can get. What was the difficulty?

Even the hot knife isn’t that easy and you had to have a dedicated case for each gun obviously..

I go about it a few different ways. But I don’t care what it looks like.

As far as heating up a piece of metal dropping in there why not just dropped your gun in? After you shoot.
Watch the barrel sink while the grip doesn't.

I was being half sarcastic. I have a carbon fiber blanket I put down over my tables at the shoots cause otherwise they melt the tables..

I find it very easy. Like cutting through butter. Some of the knives have a temperature adjustment and there are different styles of elements you can get. What was the difficulty?
Maybe it’s because mine doesn’t have the temperature adjustment. It works it’s just not as clean as I thought it would can only cut so much before it sticks..

I tried the electric carving knife. it wasn't any better than a sharp exacto or utility knife for me. It does work great on shaving seat foam for motorcycles though.

Please post up a review of the hot knife / wire cutter. I've had one in my wish list on amazon for years, but never pulled the trigger

I remember some years back I tried to do this, bought a toaster to take out the heating element and the whole 9 yards to make a hot wire cutting jig. I failed horribly.

Ended up just tracing the outline of the gun on some really thick stock paper and using one of those tiny little retractable razors maybe 1/4" wide and just used a sawing motion and cut if perfectly.

Hints: Use closed cell foam and cut just a bit smaller than the outline. I think I got the closed cell foam precut for my Storm case through B&H Photo or Adorama.. best price and usually get it next day because they are located in NYC.

Thought I had a thread on it, it was a complete abortion lol

Last edited:
do you guys generally have a case for each gun you own, or just for a few special guns.. If/when you sell a gun with a custom foam case, do you generally include the case, or just get new foam for a new gun.

I hate the idea of a unitasker,
I ordered a custom foam insert for my G34 production gun and magazines. When I brought it and my G17 to a match a few weeks ago, I just took the insert out and had the guns in soft bags in the case. Worked for a temporary solution. If I were to run both regularly, or get something different, I would probably get another insert made. I am pretty sure I ordered a custom sized insert from MyCaseBuilder Custom Foam - Pelican, SKB, Storm and others

I remember some years back I tried to do this, bought a toaster to take out the heating element and the whole 9 yards to make a hot wire cutting jig. I failed horribly.

Ended up just tracing the outline of the gun on some really thick stock paper and using one of those tiny little retractable razors maybe 1/4" wide and just used a sawing motion and cut if perfectly.

Hints: Use closed cell foam and cut just a bit smaller than the outline. I think I got the closed cell foam precut for my Storm case through B&H Photo or Adorama.. best price and usually get it next day because they are located in NYC.

Thought I had a thread on it, it was a complete abortion lol
I got the pelican case from B&H. Got it next day. Yup this is closed cell foam I’m using. I’ll make sure to cut it smaller than the outline

Last edited:
So I got a new pelican case for my Desert Eagle 3 barrel set and some 2 inch polyethylene (rigid) foam.

Is there a preferred tool to cut precise lines/layouts? I used a long razor blade which cuts fine but it’s hard to keep the blade straight and not cutting at an angle.

A basic rectangular square cutout is easy but the shape of the gun is difficult to do.

Any suggestions? Thought about trying one of those hot electric knife things on Amazon but reviews are mixed.
Amazon product ASIN B096SB93LQView: https://www.amazon.com/Cooltop-Styrofoam-Electric-Cutting-Cleaning/dp/B096SB93LQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=3VKPR3AUBTBPF&keywords=rifle+case+foam+cutter&qid=1664743886&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=rifle+case+foam+cutter%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-8#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

View attachment 668730
@andrew1220 if you haven't made a decision yet take a look at this one-page thread: Replaced tactical gun case foam

If you like the CNC cut foam member @Spicolii may still be doing this. His work is at the end of that thread.

Good luck. Treat that baby right. [cheers]

Razor blades (long, short, wide & narrow) are the only cutting tool that works well, I’ve cut a few cases myself and tried almost every option the internet had to offer and always seemed to go back to cutting with the razors whether it was open or closed cell foam… the blades don’t last long so you need to change often, Harbor freight sells packages of various sized blades (break away blades) that worked great for cheap$$…I found that after I traced the items onto the foam I always cut them smaller than the tracing and then slowly trimmed it to fit, you want them to be kinda tight/snug so it holds well and after a little time the cutout conforms well with the guns.. The other option was heating items/tools to melt for small equipment/accessories that worked well, but not the easiet… here are some of my cases that I cut out with the closed cell foam…

Attachments

• 23897D75-42A0-49AA-9F35-E88BD654E752.jpeg
    23897D75-42A0-49AA-9F35-E88BD654E752.jpeg
    677 KB · Views: 30
  • 7F7AF19F-B622-43C3-A94E-8D7377AD2951.jpeg
    7F7AF19F-B622-43C3-A94E-8D7377AD2951.jpeg
    599.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 26D2D881-3DCD-4F66-B7E6-B2676533A331.jpeg
    26D2D881-3DCD-4F66-B7E6-B2676533A331.jpeg
    810 KB · Views: 27
  • 1E3FD4B2-326E-4299-825F-71883654E822.jpeg
    1E3FD4B2-326E-4299-825F-71883654E822.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 807E489A-8DDA-4AA6-84D6-607AA0C7B069.jpeg
    807E489A-8DDA-4AA6-84D6-607AA0C7B069.jpeg
    966.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 0F565B6D-8FB0-4A0A-AB94-88BAB7433DF2.jpeg
    0F565B6D-8FB0-4A0A-AB94-88BAB7433DF2.jpeg
    879.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 0331234A-3B96-4F6A-8476-B6C1BFDC6FDC.jpeg
    0331234A-3B96-4F6A-8476-B6C1BFDC6FDC.jpeg
    772.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 2290D6F7-00B3-434B-94E9-A60688260FC6.jpeg
    2290D6F7-00B3-434B-94E9-A60688260FC6.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 40155EE2-8470-4490-B3B3-CAB224FA8E45.jpeg
    40155EE2-8470-4490-B3B3-CAB224FA8E45.jpeg
    776.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DD24E584-7062-4972-B9B4-8E52CB09D55C.jpeg
    DD24E584-7062-4972-B9B4-8E52CB09D55C.jpeg
    772.9 KB · Views: 28
Try a short bladed fillet knife. When I was moving art we used them to pack small delicate items in foam then put the foam block in a crate or box.
We called it cavity packing.

The cheap heat knife thingy arrived from Amazon today. I used it for a test run on the foam and it seems promising. Like a hot knife through buttah. The smoke and fumes are gross so I’ll have to do this outdoors.

I would recommend one of these to cut the foam, it's really the safest method, and offers precision and speed all in one. Just don't do it on the kitchen table. If you really need it done in a hurry the MS880 is the way to go. At over 121 cc's of displacement, it has enough torque that you can gear it up with a larger sprocket to make the chain speeds fast enough to scare the literal shit out of anyone that remotely understands centrifugal force. That foam won't even know what hit it. FB_IMG_1479719210803.jpg

Last edited:
I would recommend one of these to cut the foam, it's really the safest method, and offers precision and speed all in one. Just don't do it on the kitchen table. If you really need it done in a hurry the MS880 is the way to go. At over 121 cc's of displacement, it has enough torque that you can gear it up with a larger sprocket to make the chain speeds fast enough to scare the literal shit out of anyone that remotely understands centrifugal force. That foam won't even know what hit it. View attachment 669732
I dunno. I’m not sure that’s powerful enough to cut through foam…

Back
Top Bottom