Cutting a revolver for moon clips

two questions:

1) What do you all think about using moon clips in a j-frame revolver?

2) Once the cylinder is cut, do you have to use moon clips?

Thanks,
Matt

Why not just use a speed loader?

Good question. And here are my (2) answers (which may or may not have merit):

1) using moon clips means when you empty the cylinder ALL the brass comes out so that you can then reinsert a full load.
2) slightly less volume to carry without the speed loader.

There are several smiths that adapt cylinders for moon clips, a 3rd party maker of great moon clips for J-frames (and more), and even a few smiths that will adapt the cylinder of a .357mag to 9 Luger and recess for moon clips.

The 940 is an awesome little revolver. It was S&W's 9x19 moon clip J-frame revolver. You can carry 2 full 9mm moon clips in the space of one loaded speedloader. More punch than a .38+P, too. So, uh yeah, I think it's a great idea even with other rounds.

For rimmed rounds, yes, you can usually still use the revolver without the clips and the extractor will work well. Non-rimmed rounds like 9x19 will usually work too, but not as well - for example, they do work (more or less) in the 940 without the clips - just extraction is a PITA and you could get the occasional light strike failure. That shouldn't happen using rimmed rounds without the clips, though - they should work as normal with or without.

Last edited:
Good question. And here are my (2) answers (which may or may not have merit):

1) using moon clips means when you empty the cylinder ALL the brass comes out so that you can then reinsert a full load.
2) slightly less volume to carry without the speed loader.

Gee Matt, that is another one of those things I have done. Only problem with it is trying to find a way to carry the loaded clips. The J frame clips are fragile and bend easy.

I did 2 Js so far a third to happen soon but I am still looking for a good way to carry the little loaded moon slips.

As for who? go to Moonclip.com and see Tom's list. Tom did both of mine so far but I will shop wait time for the next one.

Gary

I did 2 Js so far a third to happen soon but I am still looking for a good way to carry the little loaded moon slips.

Yeah, one thing I was looking for was a speedloader pouch that wasn't wide open around the top, so I could put two moonclips in there discretely. What I wound up finding was this little belt pouch, which neatly holds two loaded J-frame moon clips and looks like a cellphone or battery pouch (it is sold as a battery pouch). Inexpensive and well made.

Back
Top Bottom