Custom Reising Submachine Gun Project

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
This project goes back to when I was able to acquire a Reising registered receiver for $200 and a parts kit for $80. Several months ago, I submitted this to small arms review for possible publication and thought that I would bore you here with it also. An orginal Reising model 50 .45 ACP submachine gun is shown along with the finished project gun in the first picture. Jack

MY "SPECIAL" REISING​

While cleaning my two Reising 50's a while back, I thought to myself: "Self, these guns are fun to shoot and (knock on wood), run great (after replacing the hammer springs with shortened Colt 1911 recoil springs), but boy, do they look butt-ugly"?

So, I thought, what if I transform one of them into something that would give it a whole new appearance by reworking the stock and adding a pistol grip? What's not to like about combining a metal-working project with a woodworking project with a gun project? Especially if the end result looks good and is one of a kind?

My Design Criteria were:

• Pleasing to the eye, good fit and finish, not looking like it was made using hacksaw and hammer!
    To be able to restore the gun to its original configuration by just procuring another original stock.
    No modification to the Reising's receiver or barrel.
    To be built using only readily available materials and fasteners.
    No shoulder stock. This guy will need to be "spray-fired from the hip".

I thought that a Colt 1911 style grip would work and look good, so I grabbed a Reising, A Colt 1911, calipers and mics and hit the drawing board. I soon had a sketch of something I liked and produced dimensioned drawings for the new parts.

The grip and "ventilating" plate were machined from 6061 aluminum. The fore end of the stock was recontoured and given finger grooves to provide something to hang on to. Threaded bushings were pressed into the grip so that I could affix a standard wrap-around rubber grip. The new aluminum parts were black hard coat anodized, and stock was given a new oil finish, and a stainless steel butt plate was made and fastened to the bottom of the grip. The gun's receiver and barrel were polished and blued.

I'm pleased with the end result, and I think I'll call it a "Saturday Nite Reising." If anyone would like to make another one or something like it, have fun. I'm sorry to say that my drawings have been lost, but anyone close enough is certainly welcome to visit to take dimensions. I would also welcome any comments on this project.

Jack Lorenz ([email protected]).
To see pictures, go into:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jackclpworldhq.com/20080812#

Back
Top Bottom