1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Cub Scout camp at Chicopee Sportstmen’s Club in Granby canceled over safety concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reptile, Jul 16, 2019.

1. whacko

whacko

Not so sure it was caving to liberals that got them to allow girls to join. BSA has been on a downward spiral for 20 years. Most troops struggle to get boys to join. Without kids signing up they have no income. Council's have been closing and consolidating in droves. They allow girls now to get more members. It was a business decision.

EMTDAD likes this.

2. rep308

rep308 NES Member

and they had to use single shot bolt .22's

3. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Yup - that's what we had in Goshen.

4. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

definitely bolt... but Norse does have some Savage mag-fed bolt-action 22s.

5. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

definitely... our troop has 60 boys.. very healthy, put out 2-4 Eagles/yr.. the other Troop in town has about 20 kids total. We even get kids from Plainville and Attleboro foregoing troops in their own town. When we do our shooting sports weekend, council asks if we can be RSO's for another troop in the afternoon. When I've done it for the other troops, there are no more than 10 kids in those troops.

robjax likes this.
  6. whacko

whacko

Not so sure it was caving to liberals that got them to allow girls to join. BSA has been on a downward spiral for 20 years. Most troops struggle to get boys to join. Without kids signing up they have no income. Council's have been closing and consolidating in droves. They allow girls now to get more members. It was a business decision.
    Your doing an amazing job then.
    When I was a kid in the mid 80s a troop with 60 boys was below average. My troop had well over 100.

Many dont realize that the "echelons above reality" for scouting (above troop) have full time employees......they like their jobs....and want to keep their jobs. They will make decisions based on membership boosting......not necessarily "tradition".

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Well that would explain most of hte problem. ROFL!

Scouts has been on the decline for at least 20. I recall kids in my elementary school wearing their uniforms to school. That was cool. But I was a momma's boy that didn't want to camp so I skipped scouts completely. Pooping in the woods? Yeah, I'll take a pass on that, ma. LOL

But so many other activities have taken over for scouts. Plus the dual-income family is messing up the ability for Mom to drive Timmy to scouts right after school. If a program isn't providing to-and-from and after-care, it's gonna get this attendance.

(We have an "acting camp" in our town that does 3 plays/musicals a year for 8-15yo's. I forget how many days a week they go after school, but it's from the end of school until 5 or 6 or something. For a small fee, they provide transportation from the 126 different schools to the place. They do pretty well in terms of # of kids attending.)

Isn't that where The Keymaster is from????

8. whacko

whacko

Pooping in the woods?

Kids.....and parents.....are different today as far as being outdoors lol

I was a cubmaster for 4 years. On the first campout I took the packs on it was a parent and scout trip. Most cub level overnights are. One of the moms tents got destroyed when they set it up. Not enough extras to go around so I offered mine to them and said I'll just sleep on the ground outside. My boy was in a tent with 2 other boys so no big deal. I've spent plenty of nights under the stars in the army no problem. Another dad heard what my plan was......he "pulled me aside" and chastised me lol......"what kind of example are you setting for these boys? Sleeping on the ground with the bugs is not a good example"! I smiled......told him I slept on the ground for months in Iraq on my first deployment.......never had an issue....it's not a bad example......it shows mental and physical toughness. He didn't talk to me the rest of the weekend.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Oh I can sleep on the ground just fine. But at that age - and to some extent today - I'm a bit poop-particular. ROFL!!!

Plus they might have served us tunafish. Keep in mind this is the 70's. Somehow, everyone was required to eat tunafish at least 1x a week. And once a month baked into a nasty casserole. I wanted nothing to do with it.

My folks didn't help any. No coaching of "I think they'll do X" or actually ASKING someone about it. Nah. Throw Den to the wolves and wonder why he's basically self-sufficient (except for tuna and pooping) by 11. At 50, "Why doesn't he ever call or ask for advice?" LOL

My kids get far better experiences because all of my fears were irrational AND I had no support system. But my son is a momma's boy. He has only a passing interest in the outdoors. An interest, but it doesn't last longer than 30-60 min at a time.

AHM and whacko like this.
  10. mibro

mibro NES Member

11. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

FIFY

12. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

13. Goliathan

Goliathan NES Member

I'm sure Maura will be ALL OVER helping the kids out in this one. She has the peoples' interests in mind, after all.

14. SFC13557

SFC13557 NES Member

The Camp operated for 7 years with no problems but for some reason the BOH didn't know their were firing ranges at the GUN CLUB until this year! WOW! Talk about BS!

15. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

f***in Granby. I'm willing to go all in on this really having nothing to do with the Scouts' safety and everything to do with the club fighting back against the town's attempts to shut the club down.