1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Cub Scout camp at Chicopee Sportstmen’s Club in Granby canceled over safety concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reptile, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

Cuz guns... BB Guns, archery, and "wrist rockets" can be deadly.

GRANBY — A one-week summer camp for Cub Scouts scheduled to begin Monday at the Chicopee Sportsmen’s Club, at 381 Batchelor St. in Granby, was abruptly canceled over safety concerns.

According to the Western Massachusetts Council of the Boy Scouts of America, the camp was canceled by Granby’s health department, which inspected the club two days before the event was to begin, and determined it was unsafe.

Cub Scout camp at Chicopee Sportstmen’s Club in Granby canceled over safety concerns

2. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Raising a nation of abject pussies!

3. whacko

whacko

That's f***ed up.

Ayer gun and sportsmen's club hosts a campout for the boy scouts all the time. The ranges are closed except for scout use for the weekend and they camp on the property. What's the big deal? There has to be more to this story. A new Uber liberal health inspector maybe? When it comes to archery and shooting sports there is no safer organization than the boy scouts. They run a very tight ship on the ranges.

EMTDAD likes this.
  4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Pasted into the comments section from last year.

Herbert T. Abelson Health Dept Board Member Term Expires 2022
    Letter to the editor
    Daily Hampshire Gazette
    Published: 3/26/2018
    Confident after gun violence protests
    The huge, successful student-led protests against gun violence gives me confidence for the future and direction of our great country in the face of largely tone-deaf comments and lobbying efforts as well as lack of action by our congressional leaders.

Herbert T. Abelson

Granby

5. mgrick02

mgrick02

Shooting gunz at a gun range not safe for the kids!

6. Arlo39

Arlo39

This is nothing more then a anti gun push from the town again. The camp has been at the club for five years with no problems but out of nowhere it’s not safe. The inspection was done on a Saturday due the busy time at the club. I’m guessing for a reason just to shut the camp down.

amm5061 likes this.
  7. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

I remember going to the gun range in cub scouts. None of us got hurt

8. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

What was the safety concern, they never say in the article? I would have it anyway minus the Scouts title. That entire organization has gone to the shitter and I wouldn’t even be associated with it.

tuna likes this.
  9. 67ray

67ray NES Member

What does this have to do with the Scouts organization? Dude it was shutdown by the Board of Health

whacko likes this.
  10. whacko

whacko

Scouting has always had a stellar safety program for fire arms and archery.

amm5061 likes this.
  11. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

Abelson: most likely a POS abuser of authority

EMTDAD likes this.
  12. robjax

robjax

flagrant abuse of power. we need laws to keep these pol hacks in line. If I were a parent I would bring my kid there everyday anyway and the counselors could show up as "babysitters".

But there needs to be hefty fines and significant jail time for these hacks. Until that happens they will just keep pushing people around.

Newtron and Mountain like this.
  13. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

As mentioned, a town issue not a Scouts issue. That said, our local troop that has had a long tradition of a camp out / range day at my club suddenly cancelled this year and did not request a reschedule. I'm going to follow up and see, but I suspect moonbat parents are behind it.

Yep, another flagrant abuse of power by 'officials' in the town of Granby. They are lucky I don't live there. I'd keep it professional and legal, but I'd make them a special project until that crap was resolved. Might be a lifetime fruitless effort, but worth making them miserable.

What's to stop people from giving that town a big F-U, such as for this as well as the Granby range?

vicorjh and robjax like this.
  14. robjax

robjax

my two girls are at a camp right now out in western mass. its an overnight camp. they have already gone atv'ing and shot hand guns. My daughters said their guns were much easier to shoot than my guns. I told the girls to tell them to get real gunz...lol

They are having a great time. Sent us a picture of the big fire they had last night before they went to sleep. everyone was having a great time.

Oh, and the whole crew is all girls and one boy. Lucky basterd....lol. Seriously though....He is a great kid. I think they call it venture scouts or something like that.

Why the flying eff....this is just a day camp. all you need is a place to relieve yourself and some sun screen. I would love to know the reason this was shut down.

Koolmoose and Mountain like this.
  15. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

They need to start a recall petition for this clown. And burn up the phones at the town manager's and selectmen's offices until he's ousted from his little throne.

robjax likes this.
  16. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

I'm trying to understand how the Granby BOH had authority here. Sounds like a private venture between the Scout council and the club.. Did they need a permit from the town to operate a 1-week "camp"?

wiryone1 likes this.
  17. Paper City Firearms

Paper City Firearms Dealer NES Member

The BOH has zero jurisdiction over "range safety".........

vicorjh likes this.
  18. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

I would bet anything someone like this was involved.....
    tenor (5).gif

19. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

Why would a town's government have any say in the matter at all? It's time for citizens to reject government overreach.

wiryone1, ISOTOX and robjax like this.
  20. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    They should be sued for violating the scouts Second Amendment Rights.

Can you imagine the uproar if it was a “Pride” camp? The ACLU would be all over them.

ISOTOX, Jason Flare and robjax like this.
  21. sieveboy

sieveboy NES Member

why not go shooting anyway?

Mountain and robjax like this.
  22. whacko

whacko

I know years ago the boh had to inspect a facility if children were involved in a "day camp" for more than 4 hours per day. This is the exact reason that most churches that run a summer Bible camp keep them to 4 hours per day. Technically......according to the reg back then (mid 1990s) when I was involved with a camp more than 4 hours a day means it falls into "day care" category and an inspection is required.

Fwiw I'm not advocating or not advocating......just telling you what the regs we're back then......safe to assume the regs have not changed much

As far as this situation.....not sure the inspector from the boh has any say in the activities planned.......supposed to inspect for lavatory facilities, food prep and stuff like that.......the scouts should push back on this hard.

EMTDAD likes this.
  23. pinefd

pinefd NES Member

Perhaps they were concerned about excessive levels of lead, and the possibility of lead poisoning for these kids?

When I was a kid I went to summer camp every year, and shooting and archery were the highlights for me, and something I excelled in, since I wasn't the most athletic kid back then. Can't imagine a summer camp without these activities.

Frank

24. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

Does not compute.

Goliathan and robjax like this.
  25. robjax

robjax

or switch the format to two four hour sessions per day and then parents can sign their kids up for both sessions the then the BOH can go eff themselves.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    AHM and whacko like this.
  26. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

And yet Camp Ramsbottom in Rehoboth (Dighton?) is still running. Maybe this is Massachusetts.

27. MRE

MRE NES Member

This is Massachusetts. We have laws and regulations for everything.

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/03/27/105cmr430.pdf

The definition of "recreational camp" is pretty broad.

28. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    Sad
    Very sad but very true. Thirty percent of today's youth in this country are unfit for military service due to poor physical fitness and other issues. Pussify the rest and we will soon be relying on foreigners to fill most of the ranks.

29. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

of course.. I should've known.... I'd even go so far to bet that the BOH requires a "fee" to the town...

30. JAD

JAD

In most places there are regulations that are applicable to day camps and the facilities that they use and certain protocols surrounding their operation. In many places there are inspection processes before camps can operate and sometimes unannounced visits by officials from certain agencies while programs are in session.