Cub Scout camp at Chicopee Sportstmen’s Club in Granby canceled over safety concerns

Reptile

NES Member
Cuz guns... BB Guns, archery, and "wrist rockets" can be deadly.

GRANBY — A one-week summer camp for Cub Scouts scheduled to begin Monday at the Chicopee Sportsmen’s Club, at 381 Batchelor St. in Granby, was abruptly canceled over safety concerns.

According to the Western Massachusetts Council of the Boy Scouts of America, the camp was canceled by Granby’s health department, which inspected the club two days before the event was to begin, and determined it was unsafe.

Cub Scout camp at Chicopee Sportstmen’s Club in Granby canceled over safety concerns

That's f***ed up.

Ayer gun and sportsmen's club hosts a campout for the boy scouts all the time. The ranges are closed except for scout use for the weekend and they camp on the property. What's the big deal? There has to be more to this story. A new Uber liberal health inspector maybe? When it comes to archery and shooting sports there is no safer organization than the boy scouts. They run a very tight ship on the ranges.

Pasted into the comments section from last year.

Herbert T. Abelson Health Dept Board Member Term Expires 2022
Letter to the editor
Daily Hampshire Gazette
Published: 3/26/2018
Confident after gun violence protests
The huge, successful student-led protests against gun violence gives me confidence for the future and direction of our great country in the face of largely tone-deaf comments and lobbying efforts as well as lack of action by our congressional leaders.

Herbert T. Abelson

Granby

This is nothing more then a anti gun push from the town again. The camp has been at the club for five years with no problems but out of nowhere it’s not safe. The inspection was done on a Saturday due the busy time at the club. I’m guessing for a reason just to shut the camp down.

Cuz guns... BB Guns, archery, and "wrist rockets" can be deadly.

GRANBY — A one-week summer camp for Cub Scouts scheduled to begin Monday at the Chicopee Sportsmen’s Club, at 381 Batchelor St. in Granby, was abruptly canceled over safety concerns.

According to the Western Massachusetts Council of the Boy Scouts of America, the camp was canceled by Granby’s health department, which inspected the club two days before the event was to begin, and determined it was unsafe.

What was the safety concern, they never say in the article? I would have it anyway minus the Scouts title. That entire organization has gone to the shitter and I wouldn’t even be associated with it.

What was the safety concern, they never say in the article? I would have it anyway minus the Scouts title. That entire organization has gone to the shitter and I wouldn’t even be associated with it.

What does this have to do with the Scouts organization? Dude it was shutdown by the Board of Health

flagrant abuse of power. we need laws to keep these pol hacks in line. If I were a parent I would bring my kid there everyday anyway and the counselors could show up as "babysitters".

But there needs to be hefty fines and significant jail time for these hacks. Until that happens they will just keep pushing people around.

As mentioned, a town issue not a Scouts issue. That said, our local troop that has had a long tradition of a camp out / range day at my club suddenly cancelled this year and did not request a reschedule. I'm going to follow up and see, but I suspect moonbat parents are behind it.

flagrant abuse of power. we need laws to keep these pol hacks in line. If I were a parent I would bring my kid there everyday anyway and the counselors could show up as "babysitters".

But there needs to be hefty fines and significant jail time for these hacks. Until that happens they will just keep pushing people around.

Yep, another flagrant abuse of power by 'officials' in the town of Granby. They are lucky I don't live there. I'd keep it professional and legal, but I'd make them a special project until that crap was resolved. Might be a lifetime fruitless effort, but worth making them miserable.

What's to stop people from giving that town a big F-U, such as for this as well as the Granby range?

my two girls are at a camp right now out in western mass. its an overnight camp. they have already gone atv'ing and shot hand guns. My daughters said their guns were much easier to shoot than my guns. I told the girls to tell them to get real gunz...lol

They are having a great time. Sent us a picture of the big fire they had last night before they went to sleep. everyone was having a great time.

Oh, and the whole crew is all girls and one boy. Lucky basterd....lol. Seriously though....He is a great kid. I think they call it venture scouts or something like that.

Why the flying eff....this is just a day camp. all you need is a place to relieve yourself and some sun screen. I would love to know the reason this was shut down.

They need to start a recall petition for this clown. And burn up the phones at the town manager's and selectmen's offices until he's ousted from his little throne.

I'm trying to understand how the Granby BOH had authority here. Sounds like a private venture between the Scout council and the club.. Did they need a permit from the town to operate a 1-week "camp"?

I'm trying to understand how the Granby BOH had authority here. Sounds like a private venture between the Scout council and the club.. Did they need a permit from the town to operate a 1-week "camp"?
I know years ago the boh had to inspect a facility if children were involved in a "day camp" for more than 4 hours per day. This is the exact reason that most churches that run a summer Bible camp keep them to 4 hours per day. Technically......according to the reg back then (mid 1990s) when I was involved with a camp more than 4 hours a day means it falls into "day care" category and an inspection is required.

Fwiw I'm not advocating or not advocating......just telling you what the regs we're back then......safe to assume the regs have not changed much

As far as this situation.....not sure the inspector from the boh has any say in the activities planned.......supposed to inspect for lavatory facilities, food prep and stuff like that.......the scouts should push back on this hard.

Perhaps they were concerned about excessive levels of lead, and the possibility of lead poisoning for these kids?

When I was a kid I went to summer camp every year, and shooting and archery were the highlights for me, and something I excelled in, since I wasn't the most athletic kid back then. Can't imagine a summer camp without these activities.

Frank

I know years ago the boh had to inspect a facility if children were involved in a "day camp" for more than 4 hours per day. This is the exact reason that most churches that run a summer Bible camp keep them to 4 hours per day. Technically......according to the reg back then (mid 1990s) when I was involved with a camp more than 4 hours a day means it falls into "day care" category and an inspection is required.

Fwiw I'm not advocating or not advocating......just telling you what the regs we're back then......safe to assume the regs have not changed much

As far as this situation.....not sure the inspector from the boh has any say in the activities planned.......supposed to inspect for lavatory facilities, food prep and stuff like that.......the scouts should push back on this hard.

or switch the format to two four hour sessions per day and then parents can sign their kids up for both sessions the then the BOH can go eff themselves.

Last edited:

In most places there are regulations that are applicable to day camps and the facilities that they use and certain protocols surrounding their operation. In many places there are inspection processes before camps can operate and sometimes unannounced visits by officials from certain agencies while programs are in session.

Back
Top Bottom