• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyotes Are Becoming Wolves, Deadly On Mature Deer, Even Bucks

Fires will help diversify forests as well.

Sent from my m8whl using Tapatalk

Yup. But try to convince the moon bats, soccer moms, and crunchies!

They all think clear cut logging is bad........but it actually creates a more diverse habitat in the long run and would benefit new england cotton tail (declining) and roughed. Grouse (almost gone).

That include MA?

Can you tell I've never been hunting?[smile]

Yes.......can even hunt them at night.

If you have never hunted......you need to. I started hunting in 2012 when my 10 year old asked if we could. I have a BS In forestry and took a few courses in wildlife mgt but never hunted due to my time in the military getting in the way.

Started the process 5 years ago and have had success with deer turkey ducks squirrels show shoe hare pheasant. Best times I've had with my wife (yes she has been and even took a deer) and son in the last 5 years have been hunting

Got my masters last year in logistics and took 2 elective courses in wildlife and fisheries mgt for the interest.

YOU SHOULD TRY IT. there is no better feeling than the pride of filling the freezer with food with your own experience and efforts.

Last edited:
Coyote season in Mass opens Oct. 14 2017 thru March 8 2018.
Not open all year as it should be.

This is not evolution. It appears to be hybrid speciation.

How is that not evolution?

It's exactly evolution.

The species that survive better under new conditions pass on their genes.

In this case "new conditions" were caused by over-hunting of wolves (according to the article)

The coyotes and I have a compromise "they do not screw with my critters and I will not bother them" and for 20 years we have lived in harmony.
Late to the post just got home from church

It's exactly evolution.

In this case "new conditions" were caused by over-hunting of wolves (according to the article)

In a "closed" breeding environment survival of the fittest is evolution.

The situation with coyotes is not technically evolution.....they can breed and have fertile offspring with wolves and domestic dogs. In this situation they are creating hybrid species.....not an improvement of the original.

Hybridization also changes much faster where evolution takes millennium.

Last edited:
In Maine, we have about as many coyote-on-human attacks as we do black bear-on-human attacks.

Miss-You-My-Love.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

80d364e09d31fcba8af274926d4332ff.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Time to send in the Massachusetts Hybridization Stock...

The situation with coyotes is not technically evolution.....they can breed and have fertile offspring with wolves and domestic dogs. In this situation they are creating hybrid species.....not an improvement of the original.

Hybridization can be an important part of the evolution of new species. One example that comes to mind is wheat. The missing component in this case is the time and/or isolation to allow speciation. In any event, simply being able to breed is not the sole criteria for speciation, and species don't always correspond well to actual populations since they are just categories we made up and not a "real" thing

That lady deer looks like she's gonna pop...with twins.

"evolution" doesn't mean *improvement*, it means *change*. Saber tooth cats evolved, and then died out. That's evolution. Some species evolve and mutate to match circumstances that are temporary, and they die out.

Also, evolution doesn't have to be slow. Look at bacteria that's resistant to antibiotics. That's evolution. It happens quickly. There's a species of moth that went from mostly white to full black because air pollution (soot) caused by the industrial revolution colored the trees where they hid/lived black. When the pollution levels went down, they turned whiteish again to match their habitat. Google "peppered moth"; that all happened over about 100 years.

If the landscape changes (not just trees and grass, but air temperature, rainfall, introduction of or removal of predators, pretty much anything that affects a species' ability to reproduce) the individuals within that species that can't handle the new environment either die, or don't live long enough to reproduce, or reproduce less successfully. In the first and second cases, evolution can be very fast, in the third, it can take a long time for the changes to show up.

This is useful (although a little bit "USA-Today")

http://listverse.com/2011/11/19/8-examples-of-evolution-in-action/

And here's another, (more propeller-head-ish)

http://discovermagazine.com/2015/march/19-life-in-the-fast-lane

and another:

http://www.news.leiden.edu/news/super-fast-evolution.html

Surfing around the channels today one of the PBS Nature shows was about the coyote-wolf hybrids. There was once a species of Eastern wolf throughout eastern north America, but they were almost eradicated by the evil white European settlers. There's a remote spot in Canada where they still exist, and that's where they cross-bred with the smaller coyotes. One of the Canadian field biologists pulls pups out of dens in the spring to do health checks and research. He claims he can tell if a pup is wolf, coyote or hybrid just by the shape of its skull and snout. They have some with radio collars that they track with GPS, and the critters can thrive in small patches of land right in the middle of cities.

Cue "Fish Heads" song:

http://www.popsci.com/cultivated-carp-reverse-evolve-their-scales-back

I also read, somewhere, that other species in the US was doing the same thing, more or less, as the environment of that lake had changed (turbidity increased), and the fish were not able to see the other fish that wanted to eat them....so they were "armoring up."

I saw a coyote up in Burlington MA about 2 weeks ago at 3am when I was leaving work. It was 50m across the street trotting toward me with an small animal (probably a rabbit) in it's mouth. At first I thought it was a fox, but it was much to large and a gray/brown color. It then ducked up away from me into the brush. Yet another good reason for an EDC.

It's exactly evolution.

I just bred a cocker spaniel with a Labrador..... now THAT's evolution.....according to some people here. Guess I might just fall off the end of the world now.

Dogs wolves and coyotes are no longer considered different species. They can interbreed and produce fertile offspring. They're referred to as 'canids'.

"...Also, evolution doesn't have to be slow. Look at bacteria that's resistant to antibiotics. That's evolution. It happens quickly. There's a species of moth that went from mostly white to full black because air pollution (soot) caused by the industrial revolution colored the trees where they hid/lived black. When the pollution levels went down, they turned whiteish again to match their habitat. Google "peppered moth"; that all happened over about 100 years.

If the landscape changes (not just trees and grass, but air temperature, rainfall, introduction of or removal of predators, pretty much anything that affects a species' ability to reproduce) the individuals within that species that can't handle the new environment either die, or don't live long enough to reproduce, or reproduce less successfully. In the first and second cases, evolution can be very fast, in the third, it can take a long time for the changes to show up.

I am not a scientist or any kind of expert, but I believe what you are describing has to do with breeding and lifecycles of different species. I would think the more breeding cycles per year, the more possibility for mutation and change. So Bacteria or fruit flies, for example, may evolve much quicker because they cycle through generations much more quickly than larger animals and humans.

I am not a scientist or any kind of expert, but I believe what you are describing has to do with breeding and lifecycles of different species. I would think the more breeding cycles per year, the more possibility for mutation and change. So Bacteria or fruit flies, for example, may evolve much quicker because they cycle through generations much more quickly than larger animals and humans.
Breeding rates and mutation rates. For example, rats have higher mutation rates than humans, hence you would expect them to change faster and they tend to end up getting cancer if they live more than a few years.

You are absolutely correct. That is the difference between R and K selected species. Evolution can occur faster in organisms that reproduce quicker and with larger sets of offspring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R/K_selection_theory

Yup. But try to convince the moon bats, soccer moms, and crunchies!

They all think clear cut logging is bad........but it actually creates a more diverse habitat in the long run and would benefit new england cotton tail (declining) and roughed. Grouse (almost gone).

My back yard. Crunchies shut down that logging but love huge ****ing windmills that can be seem for over 50 miles.

"evolution" doesn't mean *improvement*, it means *change*. Saber tooth cats evolved, and then died out. That's evolution. Some species evolve and mutate to match circumstances that are temporary, and they die out.

Also, evolution doesn't have to be slow. Look at bacteria that's resistant to antibiotics. That's evolution. It happens quickly. There's a species of moth that went from mostly white to full black because air pollution (soot) caused by the industrial revolution colored the trees where they hid/lived black. When the pollution levels went down, they turned whiteish again to match their habitat. Google "peppered moth"; that all happened over about 100 years.

You may want to try another example - this one has been debunked as evidence of any type of evolution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution - see the section on criticisms of Kettlewell's experiment
http://hoaxes.org/photo_database/image/the_peppered_moth

This is useful (although a little bit "USA-Today")

http://listverse.com/2011/11/19/8-examples-of-evolution-in-action/

And here's another, (more propeller-head-ish)

http://discovermagazine.com/2015/march/19-life-in-the-fast-lane

and another:

http://www.news.leiden.edu/news/super-fast-evolution.html

Lots of examples of how different traits can become dominant within a species through differential reproduction rates (more with a certain trait survive to reproduce) - do you have an example of the creation of new genetic information or beneficial mutation?

You may want to try another example - this one has been debunked as evidence of any type of evolution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution - see the section on criticisms of Kettlewell's experiment
http://hoaxes.org/photo_database/image/the_peppered_moth

Well crap. That shows how old I am. I learned that in school as fact.

There's a fantastic book called The Half Life of Facts, which applies here.

https://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-Facts-Everything-Know-Expiration/dp/159184651X/

Lots of examples of how different traits can become dominant within a species through differential reproduction rates (more with a certain trait survive to reproduce) - do you have an example of the creation of new genetic information or beneficial mutation?

How is that not evolution? There's a lot of variety, some reproduce better, and become dominant. There's nothing that says a new mutation has to take over the old one completely. There are lots of mutations and variations that have *no effect*, until something in the environment starts to (dis)favor that mutation.

Well crap. That shows how old I am. I learned that in school as fact.

There's a fantastic book called The Half Life of Facts, which applies here.

https://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-Facts-Everything-Know-Expiration/dp/159184651X/

How is that not evolution? There's a lot of variety, some reproduce better, and become dominant. There's nothing that says a new mutation has to take over the old one completely. There are lots of mutations and variations that have *no effect*, until something in the environment starts to (dis)favor that mutation.
Dominance of one existing trait over another is actually loss of genetic information (if the non-selected trait is completely deselected) - this is adaptation (reversible if deselection is not complete)

Evolution is the creation of new and novel traits leading to new types of fauna/flora.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Dominance of one existing trait over another is actually loss of genetic information (if the non-selected trait is completely deselected) - this is adaptation (reversible if deselection is not complete)

Evolution is the creation of new and novel traits leading to new types of fauna/flora.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk
Novel mutation with beneficial attributes has been observed multiple times in bacteria. Keep in mind that we only recently learned how to sequence genomes - it will take quite a while to document beneficial mutations in things with longer generations. Already we can do quite interesting phylogenetic analysis of related species. Oh, one mutation that we have observed in humans is the adaptation to high altitude. Several populations of humans have independently adapted to altitude in a healthier way than humans normally adapt which is overproduction of red blood cells.

I saw a coyote up in Burlington MA about 2 weeks ago at 3am when I was leaving work. It was 50m across the street trotting toward me with an small animal (probably a rabbit) in it's mouth. At first I thought it was a fox, but it was much to large and a gray/brown color. It then ducked up away from me into the brush. Yet another good reason for an EDC.

What is an "m"? You from Europe or something?

Back
Top Bottom