• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Court rules a man's car is his home

Interesting ruling, and good for the guy to get his truck back.

Similar law already applies in Louisiana, and it extends to firearms rights. One may store a firearm in the vehicle as if it were one's home- and no ridiculous storage laws like the PRM. After visiting here and getting some range training with yours truly, my BIL bought his first firearm ever (G19) to keep in his truck. He's often driving through the worst parts of New Orleans during late hours and personal protection is important. No stinkin' licenses necessary, because it's legal to keep a gun in your 'home'.

Doesn't this open up several arguments regarding owning firearms and/or storage? Dual residency? National reciprocity?
Haven't read the actual court opinion, but from what I read in the news article, it doesn't address residency for the purpose of tax, jurisdiction, voter registration, or any other issue of residency. This seems to be narrowly focused on the issue of whether the car was a "home" for the purpose of the Homestead act.

This may be a small stepping stone. If this gets challenged, which I doubt as they would not want to set a higher precedent, I can see the RV Industry Lobbyists stepping in.

The circumstances are slightly related to a case (that was abandoned $ I believe) where a US citizen, who lived in Canada and had no US address, wanted to buy a firearm in the US and store a gun at relatives home in US. He couldn't buy one because he was not a US resident (but was a citizen) and sued. Too bad that case was abandoned. I was watching it.

A person living in motor home, van, etc. should be able to purchase possess also.

If a man's car is his home, a motorcycle must clearly be his shed...

iu

If one can vote and collect welfare without a verifiable address, why should one need a verifiable address to exercise their civil right to firearm ownership? Caetano V. Massachusetts implied this, but no other court has bothered to make note BCUZ GUNZ!11

If he has a carry permit, does he have to file a change of address every time he changes parking spaces?
Who's his COP? Can he just drive to the greenest town and get his LTC there?

Kind of puts a twist on FOPA too. ETA: On second thought, probably not.

One could not renew a drivers license or registration in many states unless the tickets were paid off. So if it's not registered, and on the road... hows that work?

Soooo....... does his residency change to wherever his truck is parked.... hopping county to county/state to state for to vote for his favorite candidate(s)?

Back
Top Bottom