Could You Help Me Decide

I have been torturing myself for weeks about what kind of 22 rimfire pistol to buy. I recently found that our wonderful state will only approve a very few companies so I have decided to buy a Ruger Mark III.
My question please;
Which Ruger should I buy and why between the "TARGET" OR "HUNTER" models. I do know I want the 5.5" bull barrel style.
This gun will be used for target practice only to help improve my skills and will not be used to CCW.
Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
Since my 1911 is my favorite gun to shoot (I do so more accurately than anything else), I opted for the Ruger 22/45 model when I bought it to use for training purposes. It has the same grip angle as the 1911.

YMMV

Skip the Mark 3 and get a Mark 2. Between the added magazine disconnect crap and other "extra" useless features that were added, the Mark 2 in my opinion is superior. That's not to say you can't take a Mark 3 and modify it, that's the route I took.

DSC01721.jpg

Since my 1911 is my favorite gun to shoot (I do so more accurately than anything else), I opted for the Ruger 22/45 model when I bought it to use for training purposes. It has the same grip angle as the 1911.

YMMV

DITTO....

Oh wow...now I have to start reading about the Mark II ??? [crying]
Squished, can you tell me what kind of grips you have on that gun pictured please and where to find them? They look good and comfortable.

They are Hogue 1911 grips. I had my 22/45 modified, the factory plastic grips were sanded off the frame, the frame was then drilled for 1911 grip bushings, and then I had installed the 1911 hogue grips. I also had the magazine disconnect mod done among other things.

What is a magazine disconnect? What do they do to "mod" it?

Who cares if it has a mag disconnect or not? It's not for personal protection.

As for the loaded chamber indicator. Again, does it really matter? Maybe, if you are going to carry it in a holster, it could snag and break on the draw.

It's a great gun, but be aware it may take you an extra 30 seconds to clean due to dis-assembly and reassembly shenanigans.

I love my buddies mark II, probably going to get a Mark III for Christmas. I have no problem shooting my buddies, but the 22/45 has a more popular grip angle.

Mike

I picked up a MkIII Target for my girlfriend not too long ago. It is a good gun and she uses it in Bullseye matches. I've shot it and it shoots as well as my Buckmark Target. In the context of new .22 handguns in MA, it may be the best choice out there and I would buy one for myself if I needed a new .22 handgun.

The nice thing about the Rugers is there is a lot of aftermarket stuff available. Ours has a Volquartsen trigger that is really sweet, and I have put in a Volquartsen extractor as well.

Boy I've been reading a ton today and SOOOO many people are saying that the Mark II is way better than the Mark III....now I'm really confused.[crying]

I also went through this decision process six months ago, and decided to go with the Ruger Mark III, Hunter with a 5.5" fluted barrel. It cost more than other models, but I loved the fluted stainless look with the coccobolo grips.... a beautiful gun, and highly accurate. I could not be more pleased. But do beware, it takes a few hundred rounds to break in - than it becomes flawless, has been for several thousand rounds. It can be one of the more difficult guns to clean - dissassemble and reassemble. My strong advice in this area is to follow their directions exactly - word for word. If not you will become frustrated.

Good luck. I just ordered the Crimson Trace laser grips for this to try them out....

Boy I've been reading a ton today and SOOOO many people are saying that the Mark II is way better than the Mark III....now I'm really confused.[crying]

See post #3. You can easily turn a 3 into 2 if you want new. Talk to Greg Derr, he did my grips on my 22/45. It's now literally identical in feel to a 1911.(it's 1911 grips, so why wouldn't it be?)

Last December I was going through the same thing. I finally decided on the Mark III 22/45 with the 5.5" bull barrel. The Hunter model was about $100 more and I don't need high-visibility sights or amazing looks so I didn't want to pay extra. Lots of people seem to like the Mark II model better since it doesn't have the loaded chamber indicator and you can fire the gun without a magazine in the chamber (can't do that on the Mark III, but I never have the need to either). The one trick is that the Mark III is a little more difficult to put back together than the Mark II because of that magazine "safety" feature. You need to pull the trigger during reassembly to make everything go back in. After the first 2 time you do it it's not bad though.

I have no complaints about the gun, but DO NOT use Remington bulk pack ammo. That was the first box I used in my Mark III and I don't think I was able to fire a full magazine without one or more duds. I thought it was the gun, until I did some reading online and saw others had issues with that crappy ammo. Stick with Federal or CCI.

I have 3 Mark IIIs: 2-22/45s and 1-Competition Slab-side. I thoroughly love them!

I've modified both the stainless slab-side, and one of the 22/45s for competition and ease-of-use.

The other 22/45 is bone stock for use while teaching Basic Pistol.

The new 22/45s have replaceable grips, so you'll not have to go to the effort others have needed to replace the grips. I believe that 1911 grips will work with the new 22/45s.

Here's pics of 2 of mine

Back
Top Bottom