Cosmo Removal

Just got my rack grade Underwood in. Although there is not much excess cosmo on it like I've had with some others, there is enough that the hold-open, safety, and a few other parts are locked in place.

The stock is pretty filthy too, but appears to be structurally sound.

I've read about the WD40 method, and have seen the sticky about making a cosmo removal device. The latter isn't practical for my situation. Any better ideas than soaking in WD40?

For the stock, Easy Off Fume Free oven cleaner, Scotch Brite pad and hot soapy water.

For the metal parts, it's either going to be some sort of solvent or heat.

I've gotten pretty good results with non chlorinated brake cleaner.

For a heat method, give a heat gun a try (the type used to strip paint and varnishes).

I've had really good luck with Simple Green. It's a water based solvent so you need to be sure to dry and oil the weapon afterwards, but you were going to do that anyway. It also works pretty well on wood, as long as you follow it up with Orange Glow.

Gary

I used to use easy off on stocks but won't anymore after reading some horror stories and seeing how it really does "grey" the wood.
Now I suspend a stock wrapped in newspaper and rags over a heater or my wood stove by coat hangers. After an hour or so its leached out all the grease. Then I wipe it down with turpentine and apply some finish depending on what type of rifle it is.
In the summer I use the old covered in rags and wrapped in a black garbage bag and placed in the sun trick.
These are time consuming methods but my take is that it sat covered in cosmolene and soaked for so many years that it won't come out that quick and easy.
As for metal, soaking in Ed's Red follwed up by some scrubbing with Break Free has worked time and time again for me.

The Easy-Off routine works well, and I've never had a problem as long as I rinsed off and dried thoroughly. That being said, I prefer Simple Green and a pot-scrubber sponge - much less caustic, and still does a good job. A portable, hand-held steamer works well too, and has the added benefit of steaming out some of the dings.

Once you've cleaned up as much as you feel is necessary, don't forget to rub in a couple of BLO coats to protect the wood.

I think I'm just going to do a refinish on the stock. Get the gunk off and sand it down, then use BLO...

But the metal, I'll have to find some Break Free

I've used the Easy Off Oven Cleaner for a number of my gunked up stocks and have been very happy with the outcome. That is until I used it on the stock to my CMP Inland Carbine. For some reason I had to do it several times to get all the cosmo out and it did make the wood look "flat". I wasn't sure how to describe it at the time, but as Milsurp 4 Me indicated, it looked a little gray. I put several coats of BLO on it and it looks fine now, but it wasn't my best job and I wasn't satisfied with it. I don't want to mess with it any more so it stays as is. Next time I'll try Simple Green.

if you get a grey or flat stock from easy off use minwax natural stain before you BLO it.
That has allways worked well for me. (usally if you just leave the easy off fume free on for long enough to loosen the cosmo then hit it with boiling water it won't grey.)

My service-grade M-1 cosmoline came off with Gun Scrubber. The consistency of the cosmo was a baked on look that came off easy with a toothbrush. The stock was okay and I never touched it.

Greek HXP ammo in en-blocs is damn good. I need to get serious about getting more.

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom