Pointers, tips wanted: Cleaning cosmoline of a Mosin-Nagant

Stryker

NES Member
Took delivery of a Mosin-Nagant today - it is covered in sweet Cosmoline gloriousness.

Any pointers on cleaning this up ahead of shooting it?

I plan to disassemble and use a degreaser on the metal parts and use a heat gun to drive the cosmoline out of the wood.

Any thoughts on what to do with the wood after getting all of the cosmo out of it? It is in great shape, but wondering if anyone does anything else to the wood to further protect it.

Thanks in advance for any info!

stocks, I give quick clean with dish soap and warm water, soft brush. wipe off. Then I wait for a hot day and place it my truck in the sun. wipe.\ clean

For all the metal, I boil water, let it sit for a bit. Get an aluminum pasta pan and dump all my metal parts in there, pour the hot (not boiling) water in and watch the cosmoline drip off. Brush all the parts while in the hot water.

Bring all the parts out and towel dry. If you have compressed air, blow all the parts out.

Then I give them all a heavy coating of water displacing oil. Let it sit. Rub off excess oil. For the barrel/receiver, I run it under hot water in the sink. Scrubbing it down w/ a brush. Also dried off then oiled.

Hair dryer for me - for the wood.

So I bought a Mosin from Outpost.

Got the Cosmo off (mostly, the wood will have to wait for a day at the range to get the rest out). The problem is that CAI in their infinite wisdom decided that I needed more cosmo in a metal container located in the bag with the ammo pouch and the sling. Suffice to say it leaked and the sling is soaked with cosmoline.

How do I get the sling clean?

I'm thinking I might just buy a new sling.

So I bought a Mosin from Outpost.

Got the Cosmo off (mostly, the wood will have to wait for a day at the range to get the rest out). The problem is that CAI in their infinite wisdom decided that I needed more cosmo in a metal container located in the bag with the ammo pouch and the sling. Suffice to say it leaked and the sling is soaked with cosmoline.

How do I get the sling clean?

I'm thinking I might just buy a new sling.
Use the ZEP I am telling you the stuff is incredible

[grin]

19799653.jpg

Back
Top Bottom