Enfield barrel removal

quarter28

NES Member
I'm having a hard time removing a bad barrel from an no4 mk1
It's been about a week or more of liquid wrench and pb blaster but it isn't loose yet.
Anyone have any tips? Really want to try and save the receiver.

I'm no expert, but here's what I would do. Put the whole thing in the freezer overnight, then moving quickly, in the vice, pour a bucket of hot water on the just receiver and turn hard. You'd be amazed how thermal expansion can help.

I,have a no4 that could use a barrel . When I looked into it there where not many options for barrels out there.
I have read the Enfields have some very tight barrels. First thing I would doc is ditch the PB blaster and liquid wrench I feel these are nothing more the psychological support.
Get some Kroil let it sit for a few days. Thermal expansion does wonders also. The right tools do wonders also. I looked into a receiver wrench and all I could find was one from brownells or poke around the forums hoping a original armors wrench came along.

I second the Kroil recommendation.
I don't know about removing the Enfield barrel specifically, but I know Kroil is what you want for a penetrating oil.

Last edited:
I actually tried Kroil in between Liquid Wrench and PB BLaster. It did appear to seep in better than the other two. I'll switch back.

We also hit the receiver with a torch for a little bit but it didn't help in any perceptible way. Freezer sounds like a good idea but I don't have one big enough unless I cut off most of the barrel. Will keep at it.

I actually tried Kroil in between Liquid Wrench and PB BLaster. It did appear to seep in better than the other two. I'll switch back.

We also hit the receiver with a torch for a little bit but it didn't help in any perceptible way. Freezer sounds like a good idea but I don't have one big enough unless I cut off most of the barrel. Will keep at it.

Heat is a bad idea.... they are tight.
What are you using to hold the action and barrel?

I needed a 4' pipe on my action wrench to break free a K98 barrel.

Send it to Brian Dick LTD

New production barrels are $500- LOL

Good luck.

7.62X51 and 303

DSCF0050_zpsimivxrqc.jpg

I've got the barrel in an old blacksmith vice. Going to try my friends vice this weekend which is beefier. I don't have an action wrench, just a big crescent wrench with some maple cut to fit to protect the metal.

I already got a new barrel and installed it on a different receiver. I'm just trying to save the current receiver, which is a nice lend lease one made in Chicopee in early WW2.

Last edited:
I've got the barrel in an old blacksmith vice. Going to try my friends vice this weekend which is beefier. I don't have an action wrench, just a big crescent wrench with some maple cut to fit to protect the metal.

I already got a new barrel and installed it on a different receiver. I'm just trying to save the current receiver, which is a nice lend lease one made in Chicopee in early WW2.

Everything I have read has said they are tight..... what the specs are for barrel tightness I have no idea.
I know M1 Garand has a spec if not loosening with 80ft lbs applied....it took me 165ft lbs to get that last few degrees to clock my M1 barrel. Then finish ream for headspace.

I measured my relief cut and it was a 1/16th too shallow. I rectified that quickly and applied some Kroil for a day or so. The barrel and receiver separated remarkably easily after that. Now I guess I should clean up the receiver and restore the finish somehow.

Back
Top Bottom