• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A pair of Enfields!

Been slowly building my collection back up after my huge sale of milsurps back in 2018. Starting off with black powders before I dive back into more modern eras.

IMG_4871.jpeg

IMG_4887.jpeg

First up the ubiquitous P1853, This one produced in 1862 (Either London or Birmingham contractors) Lock plate says Tower, can't find anything on the stock to narrow it down past that.

IMG_4872.jpeg

IMG_4873.jpeg

Overall in good shape, bore is nice and clean, will experiment with some pritchett rounds and minie ball loadings and see what it can do.

The next Enfield is one of my favorites the Snider-Enfield, this one made at Enfield in 1858 and converted later on sometime after 1866. Actually had one before which was in great condition (and shocker, I regret selling), this one is a little rougher but certainly still shootable. I've got some rounds made for this already that I just need to shoot and fireform to the particular gun then start working up loads.

IMG_4886.jpeg

IMG_4881.jpeg

IMG_4883.jpeg

IMG_4880.jpeg

IMG_4879.jpeg

Waiting on a Belgium export Martini-Henry to arrive and one of my all time wants a Peabody Military Rifle in exceptional shape to show up. I have something for these early BP cartridge guns.

,Wow, another .58 Enfield M/L enthusist ! Love it ! I too have been really enjoying antique BP guns over the past 5 years or so. I have a repro Pedersoli 1858 2 band and I also was able to acquire a rare custom made .58 cal minnie mould by a gentleman named George Gompf of Tennessee Bullet Moulds. Goerge is known an the "Godfather" of BP ML bullet moulds throughout the 70's and 80's amongst the N-SSA community.

What is the actual caliber designation of your Snider Enfield conversion ? That's a very interesting piece, I did not know that Enfield did metallic cartridge conversions.

@Road_Clam You bet! Civil War Era is my favorite, I have a repro 1862 Springfield, too, but working on getting an original there.

The Snider conversion is a cool piece of work, and it worked well, didn't last to long though before the Martini-Henry style weapons replaced it.

It is a .577 snider, I cast my own, .600dia/530 grain round nose rounds for them.

Snider looks like fun. I saw a Peabody recently…can’t remember where at the moment.

Your contract Springfield still sits happily in my living room.
t

Attachments

• FE797832-21AF-4614-A703-51BE49822577.jpeg
    FE797832-21AF-4614-A703-51BE49822577.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 15
  • CDD57AE8-0EFD-4FAE-95A7-932D9D6A5629.png
    CDD57AE8-0EFD-4FAE-95A7-932D9D6A5629.png
    736.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
If you guys are up for it I belong to Pelham F&G and we have an awesome 50 / 75 /100 meter steel sihlouette range that allows BP cast projectile rifles . We should meet up an throw the slow-n-fat BP muzzleloaders ! Nuthin' like that pungent smell of real BP sulpher ! I can have 2 guests per range trip.

Snider looks like fun. I saw a Peabody recently…can’t remember where at the moment.

Your contract Springfield still sits happily in my living room.
t
Hey my friend! Very happy to see that! A great piece! Put me first on the list if you ever decide to part with it! Hope all is well!

If you guys are up for it I belong to Pelham F&G and we have an awesome 50 / 75 /100 meter steel sihlouette range that allows BP cast projectile rifles . We should meet up an throw the slow-n-fat BP muzzleloaders ! Nuthin' like that pungent smell of real BP sulpher ! I can have 2 guests per range trip.

I'd very much like that!

In the same vein, my club (Andover), at least they have in the past host a BP shoot New Years Day. I'd love to coordinate a large "open" shoot in a more hospitable month for us BP folks.

I'd very much like that!

In the same vein, my club (Andover), at least they have in the past host a BP shoot New Years Day. I'd love to coordinate a large "open" shoot in a more hospitable month for us BP folks.
Agreed, i've tried to enjoy shooting BP in the middle of the winter cold but it's an issue with my fingers quickly getting cold. You NEED good finger dextirity to sucesfully load and shoot muzzleloaders and I get concerned once my fingers get too cold. Once the weather warms up to like the upper 40's then i'm GTG

Back
Top Bottom