• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Barrel Rifling

Hi guys!

I have a couple 03a3s that I’m going to look at today. The first shop I’m going to has one on consignment that they said they had someone come and check the bore with a gauge and that they were told it’s about “halfway through its life” which they said is a ton of life left for a used military rifle. Very trusted shop from what NES says, and super nice guy on the phone. This is a rifle that’s meant to be shot after purchase; what are your thoughts? Should I bother? They said it’s definitely all original, but overall condition is about 85%. Thank you!

Edit:
The barrel is also dated July of ‘44, but the SN starts with “4,157,xxx”. I’m not sure if that’s right from looking online at the lists?

Last edited:
Absolutely check it out IMHO

Also didn't they just answer the barrel date thing in another thread? Like the barrels were made ahead so when the receiver was done it could be put together quickly? Something like that

Also didn't they just answer the barrel date thing in another thread? Like the barrels were made ahead so when the receiver was done it could be put together quickly? Something like that
I’ll go look! I apologize if that’s a redundant question, I didn’t see that thread. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction I’ll check that out!

Thank you! I’ll take a look. This is a Remington rifle I’m going to go see.

Not to mention any surplus barrels kicking around after a recarsenal.

Hi guys!

I have a couple 03a3s that I’m going to look at today. The first shop I’m going to has one on consignment that they said they had someone come and check the bore with a gauge and that they were told it’s about “halfway through its life” which they said is a ton of life left for a used military rifle. Very trusted shop from what NES says, and super nice guy on the phone. This is a rifle that’s meant to be shot after purchase; what are your thoughts? Should I bother? They said it’s definitely all original, but overall condition is about 85%. Thank you!

Edit:
The barrel is also dated July of ‘44, but the SN starts with “4,157,xxx”. I’m not sure if that’s right from looking online at the lists?
Half way through its life is meaning less unless tou know what it gauged at when new and you use the same gauge.
Depending on lots of factors and what gauge it could have came from the barrel manufacture with ME reading of 3 and a TE of 2
I would be more interested in head space, then barrel .
If its a shooter theres no reason not to re barrel it IF tou plan on shooting it a lot.
Even still un less its a absolute poor shooter even 1/2 way through its life its un likely you will wear out the 2nd half

Back
Top Bottom