Coonan 1911 cracked slide??

I feel like Dan Wesson or Smith & Wesson or Ruger etc. wouldn't be so nonchalant about one of their guns cracking. Given the price of these guns especially.
I know that when Sig alloy frame gun crack that the terms "out of warranty" and "acceptable service life" are in the Sig service department's vocabulary.

I know that when Sig alloy frame gun crack that the terms "out of warranty" and "acceptable service life" are in the Sig service department's vocabulary.

Yikes! So I guess Coonan is better than Sig regarding guns cracking[laugh]

Only true if the Coonan cracked after the warranty expired. I have never heard any reports of Sig not repairing or replacing an in warranty gun.

Oh right right. Well that's an interesting point. Coonan doesn't have a specific warranty on their guns according to the manual and their website.
From the manual:

Warranty
WHY NO WARRANTY CARD HAS BEEN PACKED WITH THIS FIREARM
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or
manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as “limited” or as “full” and sets minimum standards for a “full” warranty.

Coonan, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either “limited”
or “full”, rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder.

There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state law.

Coonan, Inc. wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Coonan firearms

From their website:

Warranty Repair
Coonan will either mail (USPS) or email (UPS) shipping labels to the customer no charge. Upon inspection and confirmation that the product is defective due to manufacturer’s cause, Coonan, Inc. will repair and/or replace the product and return to the customer at no cost. Coonan, Inc. will not accept shipments without an RMA number.

If the product is found to be not defective due to manufacturer’s cause, the repair will be quoted and the customer will be liable for all shipping charges incurred regardless of work performed.

Coonan, Inc reserves the right to void the warranty on any product that shows signs of modification, abuse or damage beyond “normal use”, as deemed by our gunsmiths.

Coonan, Inc. will not be responsible for lost or stolen items.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with legal speak or the Magnuson-Moss Act (Rob you'd know much more than most of us here) but it sounds like they'll fix any issues as long as it wasn't "abused" or "modified".

Got the new barrel bushing today. Hopefully this will be the last of my Coonan problems[grin]

Got the new barrel bushing today. Hopefully this will be the last of my Coonan problems[grin]

Spoke too soon[thinking]. Shipped it back to Coonan last week as the trigger has developed some side to side slop/play. Coonan told me that it's normal due to their trigger design being different than a standard 1911 trigger? It shoots fine and has a nice light trigger but they gave me the option of sending it back or keep shooting it. Back to them it goes. It was delivered to them on Wednesday so let's see how long it takes to get it back...

so this is the 2nd trip for your coonan back to factory??

No first time. They previously sent me a new slide and barrel bushing so I didn't send it back. But the trigger issue is not a simple swap fix. I will say Coonans customer service is quite good. The gunsmith always gives me a call within a day or so of emailing him to discuss the issues.

- - - Updated - - -

See above.

Lol.

Coonan got back to me earlier today:

Just got her done. the lateral slop is gone!

the gun will leave the shop on monday. (they only let us ship guns mon/tue/wed)

have a great weekend… (its almost here isn’t it?)

Though they sent me a tracking number so maybe it's being shipped today? Either way Im glad the trigger is fixed[grin]

Coonan got back to me earlier today:

Just got her done. the lateral slop is gone!

the gun will leave the shop on monday. (they only let us ship guns mon/tue/wed)

have a great weekend… (its almost here isn’t it?)

Though they sent me a tracking number so maybe it's being shipped today? Either way Im glad the trigger is fixed[grin]

In. But only after you fix it. I don't want broken junk

Back to this. Let's get this done before you **** it up again.

Back to this. Let's get this done before you **** it up again.

[rofl] Okay it's all yours...........

kidding aside, tracking says it will be here tomorrow. Perfect timing as I'm off of work tomorrow.

Got the Coonan back on Friday and quickly test fired it yesterday. Feels much better now. Fingers crossed for no more issues.....Though I'm not too concerned since their service has been great.

Back
Top Bottom