• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Constitutional Carry tracker.

I read one article that said this only applies to OH residents. Has anyone else seen that?

I don’t know personally but I doubt it. There were only a few who wrote bills that way, wyoming was one before it was recently corrected. Before my permanent Twitter ban years ago I would contact the bills authors in various states and ask if it were everyone or only residents because newspapers were says residents. They always said it applied to everyone. All these states are using the templates from previous states so I doubt they’d add that in.

She replied to my comment with,

1) A person who is a qualifying adult shall not be required to obtain a concealed handgun license in order to carry in this state, under authority of division (B)(2) of this section, a concealed handgun that is not a restricted firearm.

The format makes it difficult for me to fine the right division (B)(2) as there are several of them in the bill. Unlike MA, which is tough enough to read, the definitions used are not in the first section, so I can't find the definition of "Qualifying Adult." At least not yet.

She replied to my comment with,

The format makes it difficult for me to fine the right division (B)(2) as there are several of them in the bill. Unlike MA, which is tough enough to read, the definitions used are not in the first section, so I can't find the definition of "Qualifying Adult." At least not yet.
Ah, she may be right.

Ohio SB 215 says:

(2) "Qualifying adult" means a person who is all of the following: (a) Twenty-one years of age or older; (b) Not legally prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm under 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(1) to (9) or under section 2923.13 of the Revised Code or any other Revised Code provision; (c) Satisfies all of the criteria listed in divisions (D)(1)(a) to (j), (m), (p), (q), and (s) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

2923.125 of Ohio Revised Code says:

(D) (1) Except as provided in division (D)(3), (4), or (5) of this section, within forty-five days after receipt of an applicant's completed application form for a license to carry a concealed handgun, the supporting documentation, and, if not waived, license fee, a sheriff shall make available through the law enforcement automated data system in accordance with division (H) of this section the information described in that division and, upon making the information available through the system, shall issue to the applicant a license to carry a concealed handgun that shall expire four years after the date of issuance if all of the following apply:

(a) The applicant has been a resident of this state for at least forty-five days and a resident of the county in which the person seeks the license or a county adjacent to the county in which the person seeks the license for at least thirty days.

(b) The applicant is at least twenty-one years of age.

(c) The applicant is not a fugitive from justice.​
So it seems that by the language of the bill, being a "qualified adult" requires being a resident of Ohio for at least 45 days, but that language is in reference to applying for the Ohio permit, which is no longer required. So it may be an oversight or it may be intentional, we'll have to see. Of course Ohio has universal reciprocity so your MA LTC is good in Ohio, and this law doesn't take effect for 90 days, but I imagine this will eventually be resolved to make it clear that it applies regardless of residency.

Thanks for doing the research. That could well be an oversight as it doesn't seem that the law is intended to restrict CC to residents. OTOH, as you note OH has reciprocity with Ma. OTOOH, I don't expect to be in OH in the foreseeable future.

Either way, it's a victory for CC. Five years ago, it didn't seem that many more states were going to add it. Now, it seems like most states will either become CC or shall issue and the remaining blue states will be outliers. Of course states like VT and WA are turning ever more blue, so we might lose there.

Ah, she may be right.

Ohio SB 215 says:

2923.13 of Ohio Revised Code says:

So it seems that by the language of the bill, being a "qualified adult" requires being a resident of Ohio for at least 45 days, but that language is in reference to applying for the Ohio permit, which is no longer required. So it may be an oversight or it may be intentional, we'll have to see. Of course Ohio has universal reciprocity so your MA LTC is good in Ohio, and this law doesn't take effect for 90 days, but I imagine this will eventually be resolved to make it clear that it applies regardless of residency.

Thanks for doing the research. That could well be an oversight as it doesn't seem that the law is intended to restrict CC to residents. OTOH, as you note OH has reciprocity with Ma. OTOOH, I don't expect to be in OH in the foreseeable future.

Either way, it's a victory for CC. Five years ago, it didn't seem that many more states were going to add it. Now, it seems like most states will either become CC or shall issue and the remaining blue states will be outliers. Of course states like VT and WA are turning ever more blue, so we might lose there.

I expect the NY state rifle vs bruen case will make all states shall issue. I th8nk SCOTUS will severely limit sates ability to restrict carry license issuance. The good cause type standards NY, MA, NJ, HI, etc use will be found unconstitutional

I expect the NY state rifle vs bruen case will make all states shall issue. I th8nk SCOTUS will severely limit sates ability to restrict carry license issuance. The good cause type standards NY, MA, NJ, HI, etc use will be found unconstitutional

I'm not that optimistic. Even if that did happen I can see the garbage states moving to lard up their laws with side-garbage-restrictions to make lawful carry unusable and induce a whole other series of court challenges.

I'm not that optimistic. Even if that did happen I can see the garbage states moving to lard up their laws with side-garbage-restrictions to make lawful carry unusable and induce a whole other series of court challenges.

Oh many of those states definitely will try. DC did that after their carry ban was ruled unconstitutional. They were forced to issue carry licenses so they put a ton of restrictions in place. The courts weren’t amused and tossed most of them.

People will need to take the states to court if they do lard up restrictions. HI and CA will definitely put up the hurdles, MD, NJ, NY, MA. The people in CA and HI may have issues and need SCOTUS to step in again because the 9t( circuit has upheld 50 or 50 in their gun control cases. The 1st circuit where MA is is terrible also, the 4th were MD is as bad as the 9th. NJ will definitely have trouble with the 3rd circuit, it’s a majority GOP nominated judge court and I believe the 2nd where NY is, is a majority GOP nominee court.

I feel good about the carry case especially if Alito or Thomas writes it. SCOTUS is holding a number of cases pending cert until they issue the NY state ruling. 2 of the cases are mag restriction cases, one AWB and another Young vs Hawaii is a carry case which they’ll probably remand to a lower court to rethink it aka rule in fave of Young in light of the NY state ruling. Thomas and Alito especially are very eager to take gun cases, they’ve been very upset with the lower courts ignoring heller.

One scenario will be interesting if SCOTUS at some distant point
mandates nationwide legal carry under Full Faith and Credit.

Because if The Usual Suspects (Left Coast, Northeast Corridor, IL)
try adding new Jim Crow laws to screw with their own residents,
they may find themselves in trouble if they flex on some out of towner.

It’s OFFICIAL!

Add ‘Back Home Again’ in Indiana to the list!

This really is an awesome state and I wish I didn’t have so many ex-fiancées here to ruin it for me.

I’ve got 2.5 years on the clock here and although probably not the best timing to move right before COVID, I’ve made it a point to get out and see what this place has to offer...and there’s a LOT!

Well, definitely not trying to turn this into an Indiana thread, so I’ll just leave it at that...but put another notch in the belt for free states and another one that should be on anyone’s list that’s looking to get out of MA.

I’m gonna miss the Hoosier state...but might not have much time to at my new home in Kentucky!

Nice, nice!

Need GA and then probably LA or FL to round out the deep south. SC will happen, NC is a solid maybe. PA and MI will take time. Next goal 30/50.

Nice, nice!

Need GA and then probably LA or FL to round out the deep south. SC will happen, NC is a solid maybe. PA and MI will take time. Next goal 30/50.

NC, PA and LA will happen with the next GOP governor He PA and LA legislatures have already passed it but dem governor vetoed it. WI will happen with the next GOP governor as well. SC need some of the old GOP to retire or die, they’re former dems who still like government control. FL may happen next spring after DeSantis romps in his re-election.

Firearm policy group is one of the most active groups suing states over their BS laws. This tweet is hilarious

View: https://twitter.com/gunpolicy/status/1506370716450660359?s=20&t=L089IetgJq9PXUdm_LZvvA

I think there’s a very good chance SC and GA join the list and an ok chance NV in the next 10 years. People who think the anti gun side is winning need to remember this. They are losing everywhere except the bluest of states and hopefully SCOTUS will correct some of those issues.

Georgia senate passed the house bill today, goes to the governor for his signature. That makes 25. DeSantis ordered a special session for the Florida legislature and wants them to pass Constitutional carry and a few other things.

I hope so...

So, how many of these states are truly cc and how many (if any) only cater to the residents of the state?

Does it really matter?

I'm pretty sure all of those constitutional carry states still offer a permit to those who might travel into another state that is not constitutional carry but recognizes some out of state permits.

Indiana for one recognizes Kentucky's constitutional carry law and no permit is needed by Kentuckians to carry there.
Kentucky still offers a permit for people who might travel to other states who don't recognize Kentucky constitutional carry. Tennessee is constitutional carry for anyone who meets their criteria.

EDITED to reflect Tennessee law. They do not require an out of state permit.....anyone meeting their criteria can open or concealed carry in TN effective July 1, 2022.

Last edited:
I think nearly all are truly cc. Only ND comes to mind as being resident-only but there might be one or two more.
I guess that's one definition of CC, that it apply equally to non-residents.

My definition is that the rules are the same for licensees and non-licensees, and many of them fail on that point.

Back
Top Bottom