• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering Building My First SBR

I'm considering putting together my first sbr. It has probably been covered but is this process difficult? How do I start? And how long does it take? Can i have the short upper while the paperwork is being processed not attached to a lower? And of course choosing a barrel length. My current range only has a 200 yard long range and I dont plan on shooting further. 100 yards will be fine. And finally experience with different manufactures SBR (specifically) input will be greatly appreciated. Not opposed to piston systems (Adams Arms 7.5 looks awsome) if it could be my best option. Would love a noveske but availability is an issue. I know a lot of questions but I havent done one before so all feedback is greatly appreciated.

well, the answer to your first question about it being easy... do you have a cool CLEO? if so then simply do your form 1, get your picture, get your prints, and get him to sign it. if your CLEO sucks then you have to set up a trust. a trust can be done cheap or it can be done less-than-cheap. some people like the security that a trust done up individually for them by a lawyer provides, others are impatient and won't give a shit what happens after they are dead and so the internet trust works OK for them.

i personally went the internet route. it was a $300 deal on sale for $100 and i had $20 in my paypal account so i got it done up for $80.

you should not have the upper stored in the same location as the lower you're building on, or any other lowers if you're talking about an AR-15 which i gather is exactly what you're talking about. this can fall into "constructive possession" and can end poorly for you. then again the ATF would have to be all up in your shit ANYWAY for them to find that, so it would just be an additional charge. [laugh]

FYI bravo company just got LMT 10.5" uppers in stock, just got the stock notification email i signed up for awhile back.

to answer the "how long does this take?" current form 1/4s are running about 5-7 months from what i've heard. i might be lucky to get mine in december. FMMFL.

Thank You for the info first step get the form fill it out and talk to the chief.... Not sure on his opinions on SBRs but i know plymouth is generous with LTCs

Read up on the process in the various firearm forums (NES has a NFA subforum - lots of good info there). I went the trust route, my stamp took about 7 months last year and I've got another one in the pipeline now and expect the 7 moth wait.

As for manufacturers you can't go wrong with Colt, Daniel Defense, KAC, Noveske, BCM, LMT. Myself - I'm a BCM whore. [wink]

I have no use for piston AR's.

Length - I'm a fan of the 11.5" over the 10.5" and here's why:

Q: Why BCM chose the 11.5" SBR over the 10.5" - AR15.COM

Average wait time for an approved form 1 (making a NFA firearm) is nine months at the moment.

You will have to engrave to NFA standards the information including name or trust name plus city and state from your form 1 onto the reciever. You cannot build it before You have the approved form 1 in hand and the lower engraved.

Plenty of info on the web but if you send in the paperwork to the NFA remember to include your form, a certificate of compliance, a copy of your high cap LTC and fingerprint cards as well as the check for $200.

you should not have the upper stored in the same location as the lower you're building on, or any other lowers if you're talking about an AR-15 which i gather is exactly what you're talking about. this can fall into "constructive possession" and can end poorly for you. then again the ATF would have to be all up in your shit ANYWAY for them to find that, so it would just be an additional charge. [laugh]
The whole "constructive possession" thing is not nearly as big a risk as it's made out to be.

If you live in a state where AR pistols are legal (e.g. NH), then your easiest route to building an SBR is to build up a lower as a pistol with whatever short upper you desire, and then when your SBR tax stamp comes in, get the engraving done and purchase and install a shoulder stock. This way you can use and fine-tune your SBR upper while you wait.

With the MA AWB the AR pistol is a no go so most here are stuck waiting without the parts together.

And if you build the pistol, it shouldn't have the carbine buffer tube attached until the form comes back.

Back
Top Bottom