• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Congressman eating - scary how anti civil rights he is.

This is what I got in response to my letter asking to not enact more gun bans:

Dear Robert,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control legislation. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue, and I welcome the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

With the onset of the horrific tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut as well as the countless reports of gun violence that we find all too frequently in our local newspapers, I want you to know that gun control and gun violence are issues that I care deeply about and have been at the forefront of my legislative portfolio since my time as a State Senator and as the Norfolk Country District Attorney.

I often worked with victims groups and had discussions with survivors of such senseless violence as well as family members and parents of victims that were not so lucky. I have seen in concrete terms the indelible scars left from such violence, which led me to support banning assault weapons and armor-piercing bullets, among other issues as Senate Chairman for the Public Safety Committee and now, as a U.S. Congressman. As District Attorney, I aggressively enforced our gun laws.

I will continue to support responsible gun legislation in Congress. That is why I voted against the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act, which would force states to recognize "concealed carry" licenses from other states. For the safety of my constituents and their families, I also opposed the repeal of a current requirement to report a purchaser of ten or more weapons to the Justice Department. Further, I have cosponsored the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, which would prohibit the trade and manufacture of dangerous, high-capacity ammunition like that which was used in the horrifying attacks in Newtown, Connecticut, Tuscon, Arizona and Aurora, Colorado. I have also worked to close what is known as the Fire Sale Loophole by cosponsoring legislation aimed to prevent anyone whose firearms license has been revoked or denied from transferring firearms into a personal collection or to an employee. Recently, I joined my colleagues on the newly formed congressional Gun Violence Prevention Task Force that will look at ways Congress can help reduce gun violence in the U.S.

While I recognize the Constitutional right to bear arms, I also believe that in the interest of public safety there must be greater accountability for gun violence, which includes the elimination of easy access to high capacity ammunition and automatic weapons.

It is my opinion that the regulations currently in place in Massachusetts, which include a ban on assault weapons, serve as an example of what could be accomplished on the national level. Along with our strict gun control laws, we have the lowest rate of gun-related deaths per capita in the United States. I do not believe that that is a mere coincidence.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I have also enclosed a copy of a recent op-ed that appeared in local publications. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding this or any other matter of concern. Additionally, you may find my website (The Online Office of Congressman Bill Keating) to be a useful resource for keeping up with my work in Washington and the Ninth District of Massachusetts. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,

William R. Keating
Member of Congress

Wow, it's like a form letter for another issue.

It doesn't look like he even read your letter, or has ever done any research at all about anything related to guns, gun laws, or criminals.

Link to the Op-Ed?

Some of you folks would major fail as salesmen. Someone who expresses to you their opinion in detail is looking for dialog. He has expressed his opinions and challenged you to detail how and why his position should change. He's listening - whether you can move him or not is another question.

"If your candidate believes that strict enforcement of existing laws against gun violence is more important than enacting new legislation, and says so publicly, it's worth tens of thousands of votes in your district."

Remember that this is a battle that you only lose when you quit. George Patton got his rep by insisting that his front-line units aggressively patrol. Then he exploited those local successes. He believed (like most Cavalry) that static defenses were worthless and you must attack, attack, attack. Get to it!

Last edited:
"While I recognize the Constitutional right to bear arms, I also believe that in the interest of public safety there must be greater accountability for gun violence, which includes the elimination of easy access to high capacity ammunition and automatic weapons."

funny-gifs-stupid-people.gif

the countless reports of gun violence that we find all too frequently in our local newspapers,""

so if this fool is given the nra reports of gun owners stopping crime instead of the usual crap foisted upon us by the elitists of msm ,his opinion will change?

What is it that makes politicians think that "just one or two more laws" will legislate the evil from a person's mind or heart????

This guy HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!!

Wow, it's like a form letter for another issue.

It doesn't look like he even read your letter, or has ever done any research at all about anything related to guns, gun laws, or criminals.

He probably didn't and hasn't, he's just voicing his ridiculous, uncalled for emotions and utter stupidity.

What town is this dolt from? Who are you going to put forward as his direct replacement? Need to start working on this IMMEDIATELY, even if his next election is a year or two off. REMOVAL FROM OFFICE IS THE ONLY SOLUTION, if education does not work.

At least he had the integrity to state a position rather than "I am still studying the matter and will keep you input in mind".

At least he had the integrity to state a position rather than "I am still studying the matter and will keep you input in mind".

True enough. The only thing worse than politicians who go against us is the ones who lie while they go against us.

How do people who are so phenomenally stupid get elected? There isn't one bit of logic anywhere in that letter, no cause and effect, no reason, no intelligence at all. He is part of the problem, and should be elected out of office at the earliest opportunity.

Got this reply today:

Dear Robert,

Thank you for contacting me about gun control legislation.

Like millions of people across the country, I was heartbroken by the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School last December. I do not know how to explain the deaths of twenty innocent children or why six heroic teachers had to make the ultimate sacrifice for their students.

I also grew up in family that used guns. My older brothers hunted, and I learned to shoot when I was in grade school. I have great respect for the role that hunting and guns play in many communities across the country and believe there is a place for responsible gun ownership in our society. But I also don't think anyone needs military-grade assault weapons to hunt or Rambo-style high capacity magazines to protect their family from intruders.

That's why I support a comprehensive set of reforms to reduce gun violence. I strongly support reauthorizing the expired ban on federal assault weapons and high capacity magazines. I also support closing the loopholes in federal background checks for gun shows and private sales. The President has put forward a slate of proposals to help address gun violence and gun safety, and I support those efforts as well.

There is no one way to stop gun violence, and there is certainly room for disagreement on the steps that we should take. But I hope that we can agree that we have a responsibility to ourselves and to our children to take the steps we can to stop the violence. I believe that a reauthorized assault weapons ban and the President's proposals represent a responsible path forward. I will keep your thoughts in mind as I continue to look for other steps we can take to protect our children and families from these terrible tragedies. I believe that is my responsibility as a United States Senator -- and as a mother and grandmother.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Warren
United States Senator

Back
Top Bottom