Confirmed Food Life - Personal Experience In Long Term Storage

no expiration dates on my home canned goods (pressure canned). Just used some ground beef canned in Nov, 2012 for shepherds pie. YUM!

Only thing I've had go bad were cans of tomato sauce and canned fruit. In both cases cans started leaking. I'm still making pasta and soups dated 2007/8 that are perfectly fine

I really need to check on my MRE stash. They're getting close to hitting 5 years. I had a beef brisket one not too long ago and it was fine.

You're all amateurs.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/2555/prehistoric-meat-up

After successfully unearthing and preserving “Blue Babe,” a 36,000-year-old steppe bison found near Fairbanks in 1979, Guthrie’s team celebrates by simmering some leftover flesh from Babe’s neck “in a pot of stock and vegetables.” The author reports that “the meat was well aged but still a little tough, and it gave the stew a strong Pleistocene aroma.”

Other, less substantiated stories claim woolly mammoth meat up to 250k years old has been served up for dinner.

Amateur I am. Ate a can of Progresso Wedding Soup that expired in October of 2013 yesterday and I'm still standing. The look, taste, and consistency were the same as a new can, IMO.

Opened another BigY peanut butter from 9/10 today. Not even oil separation. Tasted exactly like a new jar. Made some peanut butter cookies.

Found a bottle of cognac in a moving box in the basement. The bottle had been opened about 8 years ago. It was fine!

Booze lasts forever if stored right. I think i still have stuff in my basement over 25 yrs old.

Can of 2012 tuna yesterday - it was fine. Might have lost a little bit of that 'fresh canned tuna flavor', but not at all bad.

That didn't go so well for me a few weeks ago. Let's just say my stomach was on the ball enough to not let any of it get digested.

That didn't go so well for me a few weeks ago. Let's just say my stomach was on the ball enough to not let any of it get digested.

Oil or water?

I only long term store water packed as oil can degrade over time.

I'm eating tuna from '12 regularly along with my wife and kids. Zero issues.

Also what brand? Can popped?

Oil or water?

I only long term store water packed as oil can degrade over time.

I'm eating tuna from '12 regularly along with my wife and kids. Zero issues.

Also what brand? Can popped?

I can just see the notes your kids bring to school;

"Jeffy was out sick again because he was xtry51's food-taster."

Made some ham salad last week with 08 dated canned hams, no ill effects.......maybe no good effects either but proves a point that they will last a long time.

Food: Raw Almonds
Stored: 11/13/11 in a food saver bag, spent time in my backpack in my car as emergency food and the rest of the time in the basement or other areas of my house

Opened: 2/5/15
Result: Taste like new.

"professional" advice is to only store almonds for up to a year if in a freezer.

Nice. Some nuts don't store well, but I haven't done enough to know for sure.

Might be worth throwing some in a pail for linger term in a Mylar with O2 absorber then.

Nice. Some nuts don't store well, but I haven't done enough to know for sure.

Might be worth throwing some in a pail for linger term in a Mylar with O2 absorber then.

I have since switched to mylar and O2 absorbers but these results are great.

Back
Top Bottom