• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confirmed Food Life - Personal Experience In Long Term Storage

An Italian grandmother has accidentally poisoned herself and three children with hot chocolate that went out of date 15 years ago.

The 77-year-old woman, named as Mrs Rosetta, reportedly found the expired sachets at home and mixed them into warm milk as a treat for her two grandchildren and their friend.

She also enjoyed some of the hot drink, along with her partner and son, Il Mattino reported.

Her partner was the first to feel the effects, suffering sickness and diarrhoea, before the whole group had to be hospitalised with food poisoning symptoms. An ambulance in Italy on 9 October 2007 The family had to be taken to hospital

One of the children, who were aged between eight and 12, reportedly remained in hospital for almost three weeks.

Suspicions quickly turned to the hot chocolate and when she was able to return home, Mrs Rosetta discovered that the expiry date was 5 June 1990, Il Giornale di Vicenza reported.

She had brought the drink sachets “a few years earlier” in the 1980s, the newspaper said, but forgot about them as they languished hidden in the bottom of a cupboard.

The hot chocolate’s expiry date was in the month when Italy hosted the start of the World Cup, the destruction of the Berlin Wall began, the US and Russia signed a treaty to end chemical weapon production and J.K Rowling finished writing Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.

Prosecutors are now considering pressing charges against Mrs Rosetta over the incident.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...olate-that-expired-25-years-ago-10148649.html

Milk seems like "the pin comes out on the grenade" by the time you hit the sell by date. Maybe a day longer. It always seems to go to pure shit within 2 or 3 days or so of that date. Milk with lower fat content seems worse and more sensitive to the date.

-Mike

This morning at work we found a jug of milk about 10 days past the use by date. Someone opened it and gave it the ol' sniff test and then damn near barfed in the sink.

She poured it out and it was nice and chunky... UGH.

2011 baked beans. Good.

2012 Tuna. Good.

2012 pasta sauce. Good.

2010 peanut butter. Good.

2011 just add water corn muffin mix. Original wax paper bag in cardboard box. Good.

I cut my Mayonnaise storage back to late 2013 and hucked the rest. It wasn't bad, it just became too vinegar tasting. I'm using an Oct 2013 bottle now and it's reasonable. I'd say it tastes like new for about 12-15 months and then the vinegar progressively takes over. If you love things like pickled eggs, etc. this probably won't bother you.

All stuff stored on open shelving in dry basement at about 60-65F.

I made some tuna casserole a couple weeks while back. The cream of chicken soup expired in '06, the crackers expired in '08 (and had been opened) and the peas were freezer burned and shriveled up. I want to say the milk was expired, too but I can't swear to it. It came out fine and I didn't die.

I just made some awesome curried potatoes a few weeks ago with coconut milk that expired in '11.

Oh yeah, I used some '06 cans of tomato soup at the range. They were "meh" when hit with .223, more exciting with 9mm and HO-LEE-CRAP with the AK. I had eaten some of the cans but I don't trust tomato products that far past the expiration. The acidity will start to eat through the can lining, or so they say.

Last edited:
I made some tuna casserole a couple weeks while back. The cream of chicken soup expired in '06, the crackers expired in '08 (and had been opened) and the peas were freezer burned and shriveled up. I want to say the milk was expired, too but I can't swear to it. It came out fine and I didn't die.

[laugh]

I'm a milk fiend and I can't stand old milk [puke]

Bump because I ref'd in other thread.

Still eating PB from 2010. September date now. Still good.

I continue to use spices from 2009 (cinnamon, etc) all still good.

Oldest corn/green beans/carrots are from 2012 right now. All good.

Tuna I'm still on cans from first half of 2012.

Ranch dressing I've found lasts for about 12-18 months. Using mid 2014 bottles. I had a 2013 bottle and it didn't taste good when I opened it so I hucked the rest from that year.

Mustard from 2013 seems fine.

Baked beans oldest I have is lat 2012, still good.

Pasta I stockpile throughout the year, then once a year I clear the shelves and mylar bag it (vertical) and put it into 5gal pails. I also do this with mac and cheese, storing the noodles in one maylar and the cheese packets in the same 5gal pail, but in a separate mylar. I'm assuming the powdered cheese will go before the noodles, but I won't find out until the world ends [smile]

Funny. I just finished a can of Feb/2011 B&M baked beans. It got pushed back during can rotation.
Looked and tasted great.

Gotta get me some of these...

51GQQb67PQLSX300.jpg

I've shopped around for some racks but they all seem to be lacking. I'd like ones that stack, can accept other than a standard soup can and aren't complete Ps of S.

For example, I stock about 5 kinds of beans in regular size cans, diced tomatoes in slightly larger cans, whole tomatoes in the big cans, tomato paste in the tiny cans, corn in yet another size, and so on. I know one size won't fit all but there must be some commonsense can holder design reform.

P.S. I thought about building some but I've been too lazy and it's pretty low on my list of home improvements.

The dried milk is what maybe did it, or the fat in the chocolate became rancid. When I canned hot chocolate at the LDS cannery, it was good to store for 2 years, as opposed to flour for 10 or wheat/beans for 30

So do you mix LDS and commercial canned goods? If yes, how do they compare on quality/longevity in storage?

This morning at work we found a jug of milk about 10 days past the use by date. Someone opened it and gave it the ol' sniff test and then damn near barfed in the sink.

She poured it out and it was nice and chunky... UGH.

And some people make millions on it.....yogurt and sour cream, cheeses, buttermilk, curd to name a couple.
Its all how you process it after its soured.

If its not tainted with botulism its still edible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermented_milk_products

I think it's better to avoid expired foods. Now may be it will taste good during eating and but what next. It could possibly starts reacting to issues within bodies after some days. Be active eat fresh foods as much as possible. Stay healthy.

I think it's better to avoid expired foods. Now may be it will taste good during eating and but what next. It could possibly starts reacting to issues within bodies after some days. Be active eat fresh foods as much as possible. Stay healthy.

Do you even prep bro? [laugh]

Chicken Broth (standard metal can, not box) from March 2011 not good anymore. Best buy date was Nov 30 2012. I had set two aside for a longer term test. Cans were not "popped" or bulging. The broth started to corrode the can on the inside around the lip, top and bottom.

For regular use I switched to the cardboard carton style and don't keep over a year's normal use worth, so this was more of just a pure test.

So do you mix LDS and commercial canned goods? If yes, how do they compare on quality/longevity in storage?

I have commercially canned goods, and LDS cans for longer term, although I open a can of LDS stuff randomly every year, and it has been fine.

We have a bunch of the #10 cans stored. The cans of wheat seemed like a good idea until I actually hand ground some into flour. You burn all the calories you would GET from the wheat making the flour.

I have commercially canned goods, and LDS cans for longer term, although I open a can of LDS stuff randomly every year, and it has been fine.

We have a bunch of the #10 cans stored. The cans of wheat seemed like a good idea until I actually hand ground some into flour. You burn all the calories you would GET from the wheat making the flour.

I suspect the major difference between an LDS can of beans and a commercial can of beans is the label.

Anything acidic like tomatoes or really fatty does not last long after expiration in my experience. I had some beefaroni that wasn't even a year past date and it was inedible. Last week I wipped up a couple cans of store brand baked beans that expired in 2010 and they were fine.

Anything acidic like tomatoes or really fatty does not last long after expiration in my experience. I had some beefaroni that wasn't even a year past date and it was inedible. Last week I wipped up a couple cans of store brand baked beans that expired in 2010 and they were fine.

I have cans of stewed tomatoes that my Grandfather canned that were good after 5ish years. Pasta sauce that still tasted fine after 4+ years (store bought). I've actually yet to find anything in 6 years of long term storage that didn't taste fine. The only thing that was really a downer is home canned pickled got very mushy after 8 months or so.

I have cans of stewed tomatoes that my Grandfather canned that were good after 5ish years. Pasta sauce that still tasted fine after 4+ years (store bought). I've actually yet to find anything in 6 years of long term storage that didn't taste fine. The only thing that was really a downer is home canned pickled got very mushy after 8 months or so.

Anything I have tried with tomato sauce (stewed tomatos, beefaroni,) have always tasted like the can and had an "off" color after about a year. I guess glass jars would probably work better.

Back
Top Bottom