• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confirmed Food Life - Personal Experience In Long Term Storage

I wouldn't trust canned tomatos or anything acidic like that, like ravioli.

I used a case of canned chicken stock which was two years past the marked expiration date, with no problem.

I wouldn't trust canned tomatos or anything acidic like that, like ravioli.

I used a case of canned chicken stock which was two years past the marked expiration date, with no problem.

dunno about that... pretty sure my grandmother bought pastene like once a decade when I was younger.

I can attest that Market Basket brand ground tomatoes taste like colon on day 1 however.

I think my JIF-brand peanut butter jars have pretty decent dates on them. If I'm not mistaken, it's usually two to three years out.

- - - Updated - - -

I can attest that Market Basket brand ground tomatoes taste like colon on day 1 however.

I guess those would be pretty hot sellers down in Provincetown (rimshot).

Had a can of Progresso Vegetable Soup that had a BB date of 08Aug2007 yesterday. The veggies werent mushy and the pasta was still firm. It has sat on my desk at work for at least the 4 years I have been there. I inherited it with the desk.

Had a can of Progresso Vegetable Soup that had a BB date of 08Aug2007 yesterday. The veggies werent mushy and the pasta was still firm. It has sat on my desk at work for at least the 4 years I have been there. I inherited it with the desk.

Pulling a double/triple shift? [laugh]

You guys better keep a none expired pair of tighty whities with your canned goods.

Comments such as this are FUDDERY, plain and simple. "Oooh that's two weeks past it's expiration date ! Better throw it out !" Just because something is two weeks or even two years after whatever date the .gov mandated be stamped upon it does not mean the contents have magically turned into poison.

I've been eating Hanover canned beans (Pinto and Kidney) out of my storage for a while that expired in January of 2010 and 2011 respectively.

I've had them for years, so they must have a long date stamped on them.

They were originally intended for foodservice use rather than retail if it matters to your data gathering.

Comments such as this are FUDDERY, plain and simple. "Oooh that's two weeks past it's expiration date ! Better throw it out !" Just because something is two weeks or even two years after whatever date the .gov mandated be stamped upon it does not mean the contents have magically turned into poison.

This. Last month I ate canned chicken of chicken that went out of date in Feb '11 and it was just fine. Can condition, sight, smell, taste, etc all come into play, not a dab of ink on the can or label. Remember folks, we are in a litigious society and the numbers are for CYA.

Had a slightly passed date Hannford brand clam chowder that had been sitting in my desk... I don't think it was ever good to begin with but it certainly wasn't rancid. Really needed oyster crackers.

I'm wondering what the upper limit on peanut butter is (if any). I know honey is the only food that never goes bad, but as long as peanut butter doesn't seperate, I've never once heard of it going bad because of its low moisture content. Plus it seems to be a pretty nutrition dense food.

Peanut butter is recommended but a fair number of serious preppers. The "natural" stull tends to seperate but can be mixed back up. I'd been my personal observation the commercially proudced variety tends to last longer without seperating.

I prefer the Skippy extra chunk stuff, MarketBasket sells the 40oz jars in a two pack for 9.99

I just opened a jar we bought back in March this year and it has a "Best used by" date of may 2013.

I'm currently using BigY brand peanut butter I purchased in March of 2010. It just separates a little and you stir it back up. Not nearly as much as the natural stuff does. I'm going to keep adding it to my stores.

I'm wondering what the upper limit on peanut butter is (if any). I know honey is the only food that never goes bad, but as long as peanut butter doesn't seperate, I've never once heard of it going bad because of its low moisture content. Plus it seems to be a pretty nutrition dense food.

Peanut butter is recommended but a fair number of serious preppers. The "natural" stull tends to seperate but can be mixed back up. I'd been my personal observation the commercially proudced variety tends to last longer without seperating.

I prefer the Skippy extra chunk stuff, MarketBasket sells the 40oz jars in a two pack for 9.99

I just opened a jar we bought back in March this year and it has a "Best used by" date of may 2013.

It doesn't go "bad" persay, as in dangerous, but the fats can go rancid and make it funky.. should take quite a while at basement temperatures though. I've had it a year past date in a few cases and didn't notice any degradation.

Can of what ?

I believe he was referring to peanut butter.

We've opened Teddy brand peanut butter that was 4 years+ past the best used date, and it seemed ever-so-slightly bland, but definately edible. Normally we buy Skippy and Jif in the huge 8 pound containers. We've cracked those open 2 years+ past date and other than a tiny bit of oil seperation (easily mixed back in), you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and one bought today.

Starkist tuna, 3 years past date, no noticeable difference. That was plain, on crackers, so no mayo or anything added to alter the taste.

Progresso Hearty Chicken Noodle soup, 2.5 years past date, absolutely fine. There's enough sodium in those to pickle a whole zebra though.

Chef Boyardee Beefaroni, 1 year, 8 months past date: Ummm, not really sure how to tell if it's rancid or not as that shit is gross, but the kids ate it and were fine.

Barilla egg noodles. 2 years past date, stored in original plastic bag packaging, no issues or bugs.

Chicken noodle soup and beef barley soup, various brands, most recently Healthy Choice - 1 year to 1.5 years past date. They are bland, but edible with no ill effects.

MRE peanut butter packets, 7-8 years old. Need to squish the packet a bit to mix, but are perfectly fine.

V-8 in cans, 6-8 months past date taste fine.

I'm currently using BigY brand peanut butter I purchased in March of 2010. It just separates a little and you stir it back up. Not nearly as much as the natural stuff does. I'm going to keep adding it to my stores.

doesn't that scare you? the reason this tsuff doesn't go bad in a normal amount of time is that it is c#!t full of chemicals. try this as an experiment- buy a loaf of organic bread and a loaf of 'regular' bread, leave them on the counter until they turn green. I garauntee the organic loaf will go green in about 7-10 days and the other will last at least 4 weeks.

I'd rather ingest chemicals and live then starve to death. And I can't stand natural peanut butter, its disgusting.

I do however make my own bread.

best peanut butter for the buck, hannafords generic... same consistency as jiff but doesn't taste like a pound of sugar was dumped into every jar. Same price as market basket but doesn't taste like a combo of joint compound and shit.

I've eaten C rations that were at least 20 years old. they didn't taste much worse than the 'fresh" ones, actually. whether or not they still had nutritive value, i have no idea, since i only had to put up with them for a few days.

Don't you just eat the flesh of all the bad guys you kill with your suppressed AR-15 while floating down the Mississippi?

gunkid-t.jpg

Just last week I opened one of the many pouches of main courses that came in some very old MREs. The date on them was from 1999. As mentioned earlier, the taste of the pasta in that pouch wasn't much different than a modern version. That stuff is made to last forever, I swear. I keep thinking that I'm going to toss them out but I figure that if they're bad when I open them, I'll know then so I keep hanging onto them just because.

Rome

Back
Top Bottom