• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confirmed Food Life - Personal Experience In Long Term Storage

Anyone have experience with past dated beef jerky? If it matters, it's commercial stuff they sell at Costco, not homemade. I searched the thread and came up empty. Thanks!

Had some Hannaford beef stew that expired in 2013 a few days ago....didn't get sick but it certainly needed some hot sauce to help get rid of the "can" taste....otherwise not bad.

Anyone have experience with past dated beef jerky? If it matters, it's commercial stuff they sell at Costco, not homemade. I searched the thread and came up empty. Thanks!

Jerky will go bad, and make your stomach go bad with it. One year on jerky, check for surface mold before consuming. Don't reclose a bag. Once you open it, finish it.

If you want to store meat longer than a year, pressure can it.

Jerky will go bad, and make your stomach go bad with it. One year on jerky, check for surface mold before consuming. Don't reclose a bag. Once you open it, finish it.

Much appreciated. Tossing it out now. Luckily not that much, but I"m doing an inventory and it was the most suspect thing I had.

This.

I've eaten 8 month stored. As long as it's unopened it should be fine for a year. Personally I don't store it at all.

I do have a big love of Perky Jerky though. It's turkey, usually see it at Target. I wish I could buy it in huge boxes.

I think it depends mostly on how dry the meat actually is when they package it.

the packaging matters too. I food-savered some jerky a while ago and the anaerobic environment seemed to treat it just fine. It tasted like....salty beef jerky. Only 21 months though. Laid the strips flat before I vac-packed it. It was in a BOB in cool (50F) storage in my NH cottage basement

the packaging matters too. I food-savered some jerky a while ago and the anaerobic environment seemed to treat it just fine. It tasted like....salty beef jerky. Only 21 months though. Laid the strips flat before I vac-packed it. It was in a BOB in cool (50F) storage in my NH cottage basement

I was going to ask if vacuum sealing it would help it to last longer.

According to my buddy Google, commercial jerky lasts one to two years, homemade lasts on the order of a few months and freezing either, further extends the shelf life.

Then I read the occasional Sackett novel or whatever and they mention jerky will last MANY years.

Did somebody lose the GOOD recipe or were they exaggerating?

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals

Welp....if you have bisquick in your house, PAY ATTENTION to the expiration date. Made some shortcakes for strawberry shortcake. They didn't rise quite right. Took a bite of one, and it had a bitter metallic aftertaste. Note I said aftertaste (too late). Checked expiration, was June of 15.

Still dealing with the repercussions.

I left some hamburger meat in the fridge for 5 days. It turned gray. Uncooked it didn't smell bad but it just didn't smell right while frying so I tossed it. Consensus on the web is 2-3 days in the fridge max for hamburger.

I left some hamburger meat in the fridge for 5 days. It turned gray. Uncooked it didn't smell bad but it just didn't smell right while frying so I tossed it. Consensus on the web is 2-3 days in the fridge max for hamburger.

it depends on your fridge. Our megabuck 2 compressor sub-zero wouldn't keep burgers 5 days for shit. OTOH, the keeps-food-just-barely-above-freezing GE we have in our pantry.....MIGHT make it that long.

Welp....if you have bisquick in your house, PAY ATTENTION to the expiration date. Made some shortcakes for strawberry shortcake. They didn't rise quite right. Took a bite of one, and it had a bitter metallic aftertaste. Note I said aftertaste (too late). Checked expiration, was June of 15.

Still dealing with the repercussions.

Ugh, been there.

I'm currently using home-canned tomatoes from 2013-can't tell the difference. Of course, I start with near-perfect tomatoes and cut off any questionable spots. I fill the jars carefully, exactly to the line, and always process them at least an hour in my mothers old fashioned blue spatterware canner. I do pints only because i haven't had as good luck with quarts. Also, I've had more seal failures in the narrow mouth jars for some reason. I add garlic powder and italian seasoning to each jar. I let them cool thoroughly, inspect, tighten down the rings, and dump any I'm not sure of. Then then dated and put in the box in a lower cupboard where it is dark and fairly cool. Hope this answers somebody's question. I noticed that people are saying that tomato sauce in cans doesn't keep as well as in glass jars. was thinking of processing my rather large stash of canned sauce bought on sale into some of my surplus ball jars. Anybody done this?

I'm currently using home-canned tomatoes from 2013-can't tell the difference. Of course, I start with near-perfect tomatoes and cut off any questionable spots. I fill the jars carefully, exactly to the line, and always process them at least an hour in my mothers old fashioned blue spatterware canner. I do pints only because i haven't had as good luck with quarts. Also, I've had more seal failures in the narrow mouth jars for some reason. I add garlic powder and italian seasoning to each jar. I let them cool thoroughly, inspect, tighten down the rings, and dump any I'm not sure of. Then then dated and put in the box in a lower cupboard where it is dark and fairly cool. Hope this answers somebody's question. I noticed that people are saying that tomato sauce in cans doesn't keep as well as in glass jars. was thinking of processing my rather large stash of canned sauce bought on sale into some of my surplus ball jars. Anybody done this?
The cans go south partially because the acid eats the metal. An acid resistant glass jar should keep as long as home made, as long as you re-process them.

However, it looks like a shit-ton of work for a .99c can of commercial tomatoes

But since i already have the tomatoes/tomato sauce, and a fair amount of it, I think I'm going to try it as an experiment. I won't do the ones that are "flavored with meat", I'll use those up now. however, i'm going to start buying it in glass jars on sale. It'll be good to have sauce ready to go in an emergency-we use a lot of it.

Kraft Mac and cheese, best before June 2013.

Macaroni looked and smelled OK, but that was expected. Took and extra 3-4 minutes to cook.

Powdered cheese packet... Contents looked bright orange no real discoloration noted. Smelled OK.

Tasted decent... no bad effects just yet.

This video went up in the Funny thread, but I figured it belonged here. The video is of a 1952 arctic survival ration being opened and investigated.

[video=youtube_share;eYX24F77Ab8]http://youtu.be/eYX24F77Ab8[/video]

Thanks to Je25ff for finding it.

Canned Pasta from 1991

Matt opens canned pasta from 1991.
2w32pmq.jpg

It has not aged well.
9uvq6c.jpg

Made a little alfredo noodles and tuna today from 2012. No special storage. Noodles kept in a tupperware bin to keep mice out of them. Tuna stacked on shelf. All in basement, no climate control or humidity control. Walkout basement, is dry.

2016-09-07 17.36.18.jpg

2016-09-07 17.37.11.jpg

2016-09-07 17.44.04.jpg

I have heard something about pancake mix in particular that is really bad to consume past the "expiration" date some ingrediant that becomes deadly. Can anyone confirm this or have any other info?

This is not a major report, but we opened some rice that was was stored in mylar w/ oxygen absorbers in 5 gallon buckets in 2012. Rice looked and tasted like rice. The 4 buckets I opened were all from my first attempt at long term storage. I was happy to find the mylar bags with that tight vacuum like appearance and when I opened the first bag, the oxygen absorbers immediately started heating up again. Might seem corny, but I was proud that I packed them well.

The next big test for us will be when we dig into the chicken that we canned this summer. Hopefully we don't die from botulism next summer when we eat it. [rofl]Our plan is to rotate the batch every year to keep a relatively fresh supply of chicken in our storage.

Back
Top Bottom