Concealed Carry with a 1911 "Cocked and Locked"

I'm sure I saw a thread about this a long time ago.

My current CCW is a S&W 442, I love the gun - small and light, but I worry about the capacity and the power. My Sig P229 is great, but a bit too big.

I also own a Colt "Defender" 1911. The issue I have is running around with a gun that's "cocked and locked". A bit of Googling and I found this information:

http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/cockedandlocked.htm

It does make me feel a lot more comfortable using a 1911 in this mode of readiness. I was wondering if any 1911 experts from NES have opinions on this?

Also, what's a good carry holster for a 1911 Colt Defender?

Thanks

n1425037038_30422424_8200858.jpg

Easier to see here.

Last edited:
As long as the inner workings on the 1911 in question are in spec, and you've got a holster that will not "bump off" the safety, (which hardly any do), C&L on a 1911 is a very safe mode of carry.

Some will argue that it takes a lot of training to get proficient in presenting and readying a 1911. It's just developing the muscle memory to click the safety off once you're positive of your target.

Some guys will click it off as soon as the muzzle clears leather, I've trained to click it off halfway between high ready, and full forward extension. (And exactly reversed upon re-holstering)

Keep in mind that even if the thumb safety is off, it still has two more safeties that must be 'undone' before it will fire, some newer have 3 more.

The Browning Hi power, a 1911 near clone also by JM Browning, doesn't have the grip safety and is carried by a lot of people.

The 1911 wasn't originally designed with a thumb safety, as JM Browning said it wasn't needed. It was only added at the request of the US gvt.

Cocked and locked is at least as safe any any other gun with one in the pipe...and LOTS safer than a glock. Flame away.

I've dropped my C&L on the floor twice. Once I discovered the thumb safety was off and still no bang. It's exceptionally safe.

Last edited:
Cocked and locked is the only way to go. I love my milt sparks holsters. Pick a good one without a thumb strap, retention screw is good option.

J

I'm new to 1911's and was hesitant at first to carry C&L but after a while you get use to it and I wouldn't carry any other way. Check out the Milt Sparks VMII holsters and make sure you get yourself a good belt.

Oddly enough I'm going to rave about the Milt Sparks 1911 holsters and I don't even have one yet (The holster is on order) BUT...

I have spent that last 5 months on a holster quest checking out other people's holsters and looking for the perfect 1911 holster for my 5" Kimber and the perfect P229 Holster. This is what I came up with-condensed.

1. For the 1911 just go ahead and pay the money and order a Milt Sparks. You can dick around and try some other ones but eventually you'll break down and buy one (an MS) and don't you want to do it before you've spend $200 in $60-$70 increments to buy 3 holsters that weren't quite right? The MS is just a perfect product and it's expensive and there is a long wait for that exact reason. My Kimber sits lonely in waiting for it's Black MS VM2.

2. One of the nice things about the 1911 series is that they make great IWB carry guns given how thin they are. If you go the IWB route consider one that has it's loops separate, or on either side of (not on top of) the holster pocket (look at the Versa Max 2 for example). With this configuration, you can preserve the thinness without trying to stack a gun, a holster, a pair of underwear and a shirt between your pants and your belt. Trust me, it matters in terms of comfort and concealability.

3. Unless you're supermodels skinny, I don't think that the double stack guns like the Sigs, HK's and Glocks make good IWB guns. Sure, people will disagree and that's fine, but let's just say that they're not "optimal." I know Jose can comfortably tuck a rhino between his belt and his side but you probably can't. So consider an OWB holster. The Galco Concealable model and the Desantis TS OWB holsters do a very good job of comfortably concealing double stack guns of this nature and they run about $70 each. The Galco has an interesting design. It's tough to describe but in a nut shell they stitch the front so that it contours to the body better than simply a "bend" with the belt. Go check out the website and you'll see what I mean.

4. The bottom line is spend the money now, in the end, you'll just go back and re-purchase it and spend more. Am I hi on MS? Yes, I guess, it's just that I'm comming to believe that they are like M1A's...God says you need one. It doesn't matter how much they are. You'll be a better person if you have one. Your kids will love you more and your wife will start doing "that thing" again....ok, maybe not. But the holsters fit hella good.

Last edited:
Oddly enough I'm going to rave about the Milt Sparks 1911 holsters and I don't even have one yet (The holster is on order)

I wear a MiltSparks VM2 with a 5in 1911. I'm 5'9" 165lbs. You couldn't tell that it's IWB Condition 1 if I have a medium/large shirt on. Hell with the VM2 if I'm in a sketchy area I actually click my safety off in holster because I trust the gun and the hoster that much.

I carry (when I carry) a 1911 C&L. When I practice at the range, I don't even remember clicking off the thumb safety any more. Draw, present, bang. I'm completely comfortable with it.

No worries! "Nothing says lovin like the hammer back" That said when I first started carrying a 69' Colt commander like this I did find I was always reaching back and checking the safety. Keep in mind that alot of firearms are in a cocked and unlocked condition on the inside, and because you can't see it you tend to feel more comfortable.

Good luck

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom