Concealed carry question

The news about the hospital stabbing made me think. I tried searching for a response but didnt find what I was looking for. I also didn't want to take that thread off-topic so I started my own.

I'm curious who carries to a doctors appointment? What if your checkup involves removing clothing that would make it impossible to keep your firearm concealed?

Thanks,

Derek

The news about the hospital stabbing made me think. I tried searching for a response but didnt find what I was looking for. I also didn't want to take that thread off-topic so I started my own.

I'm curious who carries to a doctors appointment? What if your checkup involves removing clothing that would make it impossible to keep your firearm concealed?

Thanks,

Derek

I do. I just keep it in the pile with my clothes. Doc doesn't go sifting through the pockets. I do bury it out of plain view, though.

I carry to the doc's. During my physical when I'm alone in the exam room changing into the Johny. I'll hide my carry weapon in my clothes on the chair or it'll be in my coat hanging on the wall hook.

Always carry, never tell! Good luck.

I would have to think about it. I couldn't get undressed with an IWB without it being seen. And even if the doctor lifts my shirt to listen to breath sounds, it would be visible.

Another problem is that if I had to get undressed and I left the gun under a pile of clothes in the corner, I don't think that I could argue that it was under my direct control.

So if I expected to really be getting undressed, I wouldn't carry. If I expected just lung sounds, etc then it would depend on my doctor and if he would freak out about the gun. And if he would freak out, then it would depend on if I felt like dealing with that.

So I don't think I'll carry to the doctor's office when the option presents itself. But my doctor is about 100 feet from my house, so I'm not really that worried about it.

On the flip side, there are doctors that carry every day. You just don't hear about it. It seems like pocket carry would be the easiest if going for a Dr visit, and unless you put your clothes in the Doctor's lap or leave them in another room, I wouldn't worry about the direct control issue. Just don't carry if you are going for an MRI. :)

Another problem is that if I had to get undressed and I left the gun under a pile of clothes in the corner, I don't think that I could argue that it was under my direct control.

Minor, but potentially important nit. MA law only specifies directcontrol" when it discusses carrying a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

-Mike

Seeing as my MD is Paralyzed from the waist down due to one of his patients shooting him awile back (long story) If/When I get my LTC, I don't think i would... Then again, the doc's office IS in Lowell.....

Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought other than in a vehicle, being in the same room or to quote one of the AG's letters "within a few feet" of the firearm was in control enough to not have it locked up. I did a quick search but couldn't find the thread where we were discussing that statement.

Minor, but potentially important nit. MA law only specifies directcontrol" when it discusses carrying a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

-Mike

That's true, the word direct isn't included in what I'm looking at. What I was thinking of are actually the storage requirements where it must be "properly stored" (locked up, etc. We all know what's required there). And it says that a weapon isn't deemed stored if it's "carried by or under the control" of the person. So I guess it just depends on the definition of being under your control. Thus far, I have assumed it to mean within arm's reach and not within anyone else's arm's reach (unless that person is a lawful carrier of the weapon).

Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought other than in a vehicle, being in the same room or to quote one of the AG's letters "within a few feet" of the firearm was in control enough to not have it locked up. I did a quick search but couldn't find the thread where we were discussing that statement.

I'll also do some looking to see if I can find it. That would be good info to have.

I just wear it under the johnny, I actually have my own, I put it on at home and go there wearing it so I don't have to undress in the office. [grin]

I think a bag is the way to go.

I would not want to risk a doctor seeing my pistol, and have to deal with any kind of jugdement from him.

My brother in law took my nephew(1yr old) to the Doctors for a check up and the doctor asked him if he had a gun in the house. He said, "yes". She asked if he keeps it locked up and unloaded. He said that he did. And she said, "Well if you must own a gun then you should have it always locked up and and unloaded."

How is any of this the doctors business, where does she get off preaching about firearms, and what makes her an expert on how safe gun storage?

I would not tell my doctor or want my doctor to know.

I think a bag is the way to go.

I would not want to risk a doctor seeing my pistol, and have to deal with any kind of jugdement from him.

My brother in law took my nephew(1yr old) to the Doctors for a check up and the doctor asked him if he had a gun in the house. He said, "yes". She asked if he keeps it locked up and unloaded. He said that he did. And she said, "Well if you must own a gun then you should have it always locked up and and unloaded."

How is any of this the doctors business, where does she get off preaching about firearms, and what makes her an expert on how safe gun storage?

I would not tell my doctor or want my doctor to know.

They all ask that now, it's a standard question.. Tell him to break in at 2am, and find out..

I carry to my dr's office all the time. In fact I get shot every month from the RN there and she knows about it. I told her about it because I wasn't taking it out of the holster, but I did clear it before I had to drop half of my shorts. (sorry if that's TMI but I take the shot in the butt). She's cool with it and thinks it's hot.

My doctor told me I would be surprised with how many doctors he knows that carry. I guess its quite common according to him... Make's logical sense to me.

I carry if i'm just going to Rite-Aid... The Dr see's the "whacko's" that need to goto rite-aid to get their meds before they have their meds....

On the flip side, there are doctors that carry every day. You just don't hear about it

From the hospital shooting.

I heard the the security guard that did the shooting was "off duty". So was he hospital security or a brinks guy? Either way, he was off duty. I think this is an armed citizen at this point who saved the Dr..

Disclaimer
I did not hear "all" of the story.

Edit
Just noticed the Hospital shooting thread :/

Last edited:
My doctor is at MGH and when I have gone there I have locked my gun in my car, but my holster was still on my belt. The doctor has seen the empty holster and not said a word. Next time I think I will leave the gun in the holster and carry inside.

I just wear it under the johnny, I actually have my own, I put it on at home and go there wearing it so I don't have to undress in the office. [grin]

Is Blitz printing?
0511-0810-2317-3416_Cartoon_of_a_Man_Wearing_a_Hospital_Johnny_clipart_image.jpg

I had a doctors appointment yesterday evening at Lahey Clinic and I carried. I always carry to my appts. If I have to strip, I do so before the doc gets there and leave the gun in the holster, on the belt. I just use a shirt to cover it up on the floor.

I'm not worried as there's no reason why I shouldn't/can't carry in the hospital.

The stabbing/shooting at MGH today is just another reason why I carry EVERYWHERE I can.... even to my doctors appointments [wink]

Pocket carry, my friend, pocket carry. No one will be the wiser.

Back
Top Bottom