Compass....

I keep a Silva in my car. Just in case.

My commenga is always in my hunting vest and in my backpack on hikes. I've actually needed it once! Sat on a turkey decoy for about 4 hours one mornign......stood up to go home......and said "dammmmmn" which way did I walk in? Good thing I shot that azimuth when I walked in! When you sit for a long period of time it is very easy to forget which way you came from!

Went on a hike with my son's cub scout pack. About 20 or so boys about ages 10-11 (Webelos). I was not leading the trek so I was just along for the walk (besides, I was carrying my almost 2 year old on my back for the 3 miles). The leader got us kind of lost and was having a hard time locating where we were on the trail map. He asks "does anyone here have a compass?" He is nearly covered in them. Side note, the GPS on my phone was useless.

My boy uses the one one the OP has (Lensatic). I think I have one in every pack I own and in each car.

Funny story... Last weekend was our cub scout councils Covered Wagon derby down at Camp Norse in Kingston. I'm running our pack's "town" offering map & compass "trails" for the kids to do. three pretty easy trails that 1st-3rd graders could do alone. real easy.. like "take 50 steps west from the X, then 20 steps northeast from the O", etc.

So this pair of Webelo 2s (5th graders) come over with their parents. I ask if they already know how to use a compass. They assure me that they do, so we send the 4 off on the "hardest" trail. Figure that 2 10-11 yr olds and their dads could figure out a trail made for 3rd graders. After about 5 minutes I look over and they're still at the starting spot... they start to walk towards this fence surrounding a pool, and decide that might be the wrong direction... then they start looking around confused again...

So I ask if they need help, and of course they accept..

Sad state of affairs when 2 adults and 2 scouts can't figure out a 3rd grade trail with a compass and directions.

Sad state of affairs when 2 adults and 2 scouts can't figure out a 3rd grade trail with a compass and directions.

I guess they never got that map and compass belt loop...

I am surprised sometimes by how some of the scouts arrive at events. I HATE when the shirt is not tucked in.

Back
Top Bottom