• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Compass....

Artifact

NES Member
I decided to go for a hike yesterday and brought my compass with me as I often do.

Just wondering who else uses the old and proven compass and map land navigation here on NES and what type of compass other NESers use.

Here is my trusty Cammenga...

uhuhe8u6.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, always carry a compass and area paper map while hiking. And all of the other essentials. Even if I have devices without GPS. They do not need batteries. It's a 30yr old silva I got when I was in scouting.

my compass skills are little rusty, been almost 40yrs .....
we would get dropped of by heli early a.m. with map and compass.
if we found the place we would get fed lunch. after lunch another place to find to get picked up.
it was a lonooong time ago !!!

I got weird looks on the trail and someone asked me "why not use a "Real" gps or the map app on the phone?", to which I replied "they are too easy to use, easy come easy go, using a map and compass is a skill while gps is not".

Last edited:
I got weird looks on the trail and someone asked me "why not use a "Real" gps or the map app on the phone?", to which I replied "they are too easy to use, easy come easy go, using a map and compass is a skill while gps is not".

Tell those guys to talk to me a week ago when neither the GPS or phone could get me out of the woods. Oh how I longed for a paper map and a compass. It's very easy to find yourself without cell service in the woods.

I picked up a $40 laminating machine and 100 laminating pouches for 8.5x11" sheets. For $0.13 I can laminate a printed map and not worry about it getting wet. I like keeping an old school option available.

GPS and maps, but always a backup compass. Weighs next to nothing, and takes up almost no space. The GPS on my phone works without any phone signal. A dedicated GPS, with "mapping" would be my choice, but if all I have is Lat. Lon., I'm good to go.

there was some info about a state course that comes around yearly. maybe someone will post updates. i would love to go to the next course

Land nav with map and compass is a hands on learning subject.

Before anything, one needs to read and understand a map, don't worry about a compass at this point. Once a map and map basics are understood then hands on locally on any terrain would be the next step.

Maybe some of us can get together locally, southshore and do some hiking.

This is a skill that once learned needs to be used frequently and hands on any terrain, trails or hiking spots you can go to, it will become second nature afterwards. As with everything, practice makes perfect.

As Billsail said above, shooting Azimuths constantly one can navigate with extreme precision.

Last edited:
Any places that teach land nav. with a compass ?? Thanks

The Army!

Map and compass kind of sucks because it takes so much concentration to follow an azimuth through the woods. Kind of takes away from the enjoyment of nature IMO. It's also practically impossible to do intersection / resection in New England unless you are in the mountains with a good topographical map and a rough idea of where you are.

Night land navigation with map and compass SUCKS also. That's what always killed me.

You can take the MA hunter education 10 hour map and compass course for $0 or the REI course for $80. The hunter ed map and compass course was pretty good and is offered four or five times between Spring and Summer.

The Army!

Map and compass kind of sucks because it takes so much concentration to follow an azimuth through the woods. Kind of takes away from the enjoyment of nature IMO. It's also practically impossible to do intersection / resection in New England unless you are in the mountains with a good topographical map and a rough idea of where you are.

Night land navigation with map and compass SUCKS also. That's what always killed me.
Good god man . Night land nav was brutal.

You can take the MA hunter education 10 hour map and compass course for $0 or the REI course for $80. The hunter ed map and compass course was pretty good and is offered four or five times between Spring and Summer.

Took the Hunter Ed course twice, several years apart. The second time I took my son. I liked the course a lot. Morning was classroom, afternoon was practical, where we put the skills to use. We were broken into groups and had to follow a course and hit pre-designated markers in the State Forrest. Each team had a different set of markers to find or and or order to find them.. There was plenty of room, as the teams didn't bump into each other. The markers were hundreds of meters away from each other. Typical NE woods and swamp combo, up hills and down, and quite challenging for beginners. For the money you couldn't beat the training. The volunteers were also dedicated and very helpful and they accompanied each team, but wouldn't interfere unless the team was clueless. Plus, after the navigation problem was done, they give us a little bit of survival basics, firestarting, and what to carry.

I was amazed by one of the students (a middle-aged male) who was ticked off that he had to trudge through a swamp..up hills and down and get a little wet. My boy, on the other hand, who was 12 or 13 at the time, had a blast.

Last edited:

Why the hell are those made at a right angle? Is it so you can clip it to yourself?

As for red, I made the mistake of printing maps with the trails in red. With the red light on (to preserve that good ole night vision), it's a bitch to read. Gotta make some new maps.

Why the hell are those made at a right angle? Is it so you can clip it to yourself?

As for red, I made the mistake of printing maps with the trails in red. With the red light on (to preserve that good ole night vision), it's a bitch to read. Gotta make some new maps.
We used to clip them on our LBV so they pointed kind of forward while you walked. You could also set it down at night and use it to light the area you were in.

Back
Top Bottom