Compass....

I still carry TWO silva compasses. Second one comes into play when you think you know way out so you assume compass must be broken. When both compasses agree you have confidence to rely on them. I got turned around in north Maine once deer hunting and was sure compass was wrong but followed them. Two hours later came out onto road right where I was suppose to be. Twenty years later I am still surprised I got that turned around. If I go farther into woods than I can crawl back I have two compasses and overnight survival kit

It's a good habit to have two of everything, in this case two compasses just to keep them honest. I have, 3 Cammengas and 2 Suunto MC-2G's. I usually pair the Cammenga with the Suunto on my trips.

I still carry TWO silva compasses. Second one comes into play when you think you know way out so you assume compass must be broken. When both compasses agree you have confidence to rely on them. I got turned around in north Maine once deer hunting and was sure compass was wrong but followed them. Two hours later came out onto road right where I was suppose to be. Twenty years later I am still surprised I got that turned around. If I go farther into woods than I can crawl back I have two compasses and overnight survival kit

two U.S. Model 27 Cammengas. Have the army carry p9ouch for them as well. They are actually my daughter's and they also have their own web gear to carry these and a couple of canteens each. They are young but they will look cool on our hikes. It freaks their GS leader out a bit but so what... We just go on marked trails but like you said. never hurts to have the back up. Also have the GTA cooridnate scale and protractor.

I decided to go for a hike yesterday and brought my compass with me as I often do.

Just wondering who else uses the old and proven compass and map land navigation here on NES and what type of compass other NESers use.

Here is my trusty Cammenga...

uhuhe8u6.jpg

Yup! Best compass ever.......I have one of em........got pretty good with one in the infantry in the early 90s

I have topo's of my area and I frequently orienteer and bushwhack with them and my trust old Silva. We used to use the protractor and six point coordinates back in my fire-team days. That works well too. They both use the same principles. Orient your compass to your map and your map to your surroundings and off you go!

I have topo's of my area and I frequently orienteer and bushwhack with them and my trust old Silva. We used to use the protractor and six point coordinates back in my fire-team days. That works well too. They both use the same principles. Orient your compass to your map and your map to your surroundings and off you go!

Protractor is a must if you want to be precise to within 1m using the UTM/MGRS grid. I use one that covers 5 different map scales and works like a charm. I have to admit though that my Suunto MC-2 Global makes working on the map much easier. Global needle on Suunto is pure genius, and having MN adjustment on compass is an added benefit.

100% correct. Map reading, map reading, map reading then terrain association.

One of the better sites for those who need to clear the Cobb Webs off along with the FM for refrence.

https://550cord.com/products/info.asp?ProductID=5

Land nav with map and compass is a hands on learning subject.

Before anything, one needs to read and understand a map, don't worry about a compass at this point. Once a map and map basics are understood then hands on locally on any terrain would be the next step.

Maybe some of us can get together locally, southshore and do some hiking.

This is a skill that once learned needs to be used frequently and hands on any terrain, trails or hiking spots you can go to, it will become second nature afterwards. As with everything, practice makes perfect.

As Billsail said above, shooting Azimuths constantly one can navigate with extreme precision.

Last edited:
If you want to challenge yourself and have fun you should try orienteering. It's basically hiking and map reading where you have to check in to several stations along an Unmarked route using only your compass & map skills. Oh and it's timed. There are several routes with various levels of difficulty. I used to do it a lot in college many moons ago. I think I'm going to go to the next orienteering meet which is in Woburn.
if anyone is interested you can check it out here:
http://newenglandorienteering.org/events-schedule/this-years-events

personally I always loved it.

Used a Cammenga lensatic for years, then got bifocals. I can't use it anymore and switched to a Silva.

I was taught map and compass in the AF in the 70's and have tried to keep somewhat able to use a map. I just don't trust those electronics that much.

Any places that teach land nav. with a compass ?? Thanks
Legion etrangere, quartier Viennot, Aubagne, France.
United States Marine Corps, Camp Lejeune, Jacksonville NC.
United States Army, Fort Benning, Columbus GA.

Courses are free, so are room and board. You're welcome.

Several websites were suggested for topo maps, but the ones I checked out were way out of date. I guess the contours wouldn't change much, but roads, houses, and buildings, are probably 50+ years old. My house is 35 years old, and isn't shown on any maps I have accessed. Apparently accurate maps have not been a priority for many years. Why would we need them? [thinking]

Any places that teach land nav. with a compass ?? Thanks

There are a lot of good Army type manuals available and sources like this that can be found online:

https://arotc.uncc.edu/sites/arotc....tion 05 - Introduction to Land Navigation.pdf

I always have a compass with me when in the field even if I don't have detailed charts (maps) for the area. Just the compass and few notes on your heading directions and time walking each leg can get you in and out of unfamiliar areas. Also, a GPS should always be used with a compass to get maximum utility. A good lensatic compass is nice to have but even a cheapo Silva compass can do most of what you need to get done without any problem.

A few years back I was involved in a multi country exercise in Central America. It was under a triple canopy jungle which blocked out GPS reception. There were military teams from various countries across Central and South America. Some showed up with just a GPS thinking they would be fine. What a laugh! They were hopelessly lost. Those of us with a GPS and compass could dead reckon when no GPS coverage was available due to the thick canopy. Occasionally, the canopy would open and you could get a good fix then continue on. Charts were pretty much useless, too, because in the jungle there were very few useful terrain features.

Now if you really want to have fun take up celestial navigation. It is both an art and a science and something very interesting to learn.

Last edited:
Several websites were suggested for topo maps, but the ones I checked out were way out of date. I guess the contours wouldn't change much, but roads, houses, and buildings, are probably 50+ years old. My house is 35 years old, and isn't shown on any maps I have accessed. Apparently accurate maps have not been a priority for many years. Why would we need them? [thinking]

The one I listed may not up to date with streets but if you get in the general area of say your house, than select "contuoured satellite" it will show you the physical street and houses.

I know my general area and areas I hunt so it is not to hard to find them even if you have to use roads that have been around forever as a guide.

I just took the MA Fish & Wildlife Map and Compass course in Pittsfield. If you have never used a map/compass for more than deciding whether 90 runs N/S or E/W, it's an excellent course. It left me wanting for more, but as an introductory course it was fantastic. If they tried to get into what I wanted to know I think 90% of the students' heads would have exploded. They went over map features, how to use a compass with the map (we used Silva compasses), how to read/set your bearing, a little about survival and then we headed into the woods for some practical application of what we've learned. I highly recommend it.

As a result of what I learned and what I found to be weaknesses of the baseplate compass we used, I'm leaning toward a Silva Ranger 515 CL. The biggest issue I had with the standard baseplate compass was trying to find a waypoint on a bearing, and the Ranger series includes a sighting mirror.

I just took the MA Fish & Wildlife Map and Compass course in Pittsfield. If you have never used a map/compass for more than deciding whether 90 runs N/S or E/W, it's an excellent course. It left me wanting for more, but as an introductory course it was fantastic. If they tried to get into what I wanted to know I think 90% of the students' heads would have exploded. They went over map features, how to use a compass with the map (we used Silva compasses), how to read/set your bearing, a little about survival and then we headed into the woods for some practical application of what we've learned. I highly recommend it.

As a result of what I learned and what I found to be weaknesses of the baseplate compass we used, I'm leaning toward a Silva Ranger 515 CL. The biggest issue I had with the standard baseplate compass was trying to find a waypoint on a bearing, and the Ranger series includes a sighting mirror.
After reading this you got me thinking back to all those looooong nights at Fort Benning and Fort McClellan doing night land nav. I hated it back then but actually miss it......it is amazing what one can do with a map/protractor/compass and a bit of knowledge! Have you tried a commenga (clone of the military issue).......That is all I've ever used and actually like it very much.

After reading this you got me thinking back to all those looooong nights at Fort Benning and Fort McClellan doing night land nav. I hated it back then but actually miss it......it is amazing what one can do with a map/protractor/compass and a bit of knowledge! Have you tried a commenga (clone of the military issue).......That is all I've ever used and actually like it very much.

I haven't. What I liked about the baseplate style compasses is that you don't need a protractor or any other equipment to use it. Like everything else, I'm sure I'll end up with a box of compasses; one for every occasion.

What I found most surprising about the class was that the compass my aunt and uncle gave me when I was a kid, which I assumed to be about the cheapest model you can get, turns out to be pretty damn useful. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that make navigating easier, but it'll get the job done.

I haven't. What I liked about the baseplate style compasses is that you don't need a protractor or any other equipment to use it. Like everything else, I'm sure I'll end up with a box of compasses; one for every occasion.

What I found most surprising about the class was that the compass my aunt and uncle gave me when I was a kid, which I assumed to be about the cheapest model you can get, turns out to be pretty damn useful. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that make navigating easier, but it'll get the job done.
THe commenga military issue ones are very basic as well. I like the sight wire......when you get to a long open tract of ground you can use the sight wire to pinpoint a specific tree or rock and just put the compass away and walk straight to it. Also the night usability is fantastic. Mine is 20 years old......hold a flashlight on it for about 3 minutes and you are good to go for a couple of hours and it glows bright enough to actually read the numbers!

Back
Top Bottom