2013 MA Map Compass Survival Course

I just looked at the website, and there is a schedule up for MassWildlife's Map Compass and Survival Course and almost all of them are open.
MassWildlife - Map, Compass & Survival Course Listing

I signed up for the May 11 course. I'm pretty sure I've forgotten everything I am supposed to have learned about orienteering from boy scouts, so I figured a refresher would be a good idea.

My last land navigation course was at Fort Knox, KY in 1990. Came across 2 bucks with the biggest racks, and one rattler. It was a challenging course.

I took the class years ago and while I can't list what was covered, it was a truly great experience. Not sure if the old timer who ran it is still having breakfast though. Well worth the price of admission.

Map, Compass & Survival

This is an intensive one-day (10 hrs.) weekend day course divided between classroom and field exercises. Approximately 50% of the time will be spent in classroom instruction and 50% on a 50 meter line course and field course. Topics include instruction on wilderness survival, as well as the use of a compass and topographical map for land navigation. Due to the technical nature of the course, this course is not recommended for anyone under the age of 12.

The course is conducted rain or shine. Dress appropriately for the weather and the outdoors and please wear bright outer clothing. We suggest long pants (no shorts), good walking shoes/boots, sunglasses and rain gear (if required).

How to Enroll: Enrollment for the Map, Compass & Survival Course is required. Course announcements are sent to local papers, police departments, town halls, schools, sportsmen's clubs and sporting goods shops and posted on the MassWildlife website.

What to Bring: It is recommended that each student bring the following items to the course: paper, pen or pencil, reading glasses - maps symbols are small, canteen/plastic water bottle, lunch & beverages, snacks (candy bars), whistle, one-gallon zip lock bag, insect/tick repellent and Epipen. If you have a compass, consider bringing it to class. If not, compasses will be available for your use.

I did it with my FIL about 15 +/- years ago. It was good, we were not in the best of shape and finished it, but it was not easy. I would recommend packing a change of clothes (swamp/wetlands) we didn't and stunk up a local pizza shop for dinner. They split everyone up, so you had to work with people you didn't know. We purchased the compasses from LL Bean because online shopping wasn't what it is today.

I haven't done land nav in years also, think I've been getting too spoiled with my garmin etrex. I've thought of putting the garmin away and trying to find some geocaches with a good ole map and compass.

Edit: holy crap it's free too

Last edited:
I haven't done land nav in years also, think I've been getting too spoiled with my garmin etrex. I've thought of putting the garmin away and trying to find some geocaches with a good ole map and compass.

Edit: holy crap it's free too
I've done this a few times October Mt. Makes it way more diificult but way more fun and rewarding. Really makes a.pace counter necessary.

I was a scout in the service and it's easy enough to find a road or tank using a map but dang the map only get you so close and without clues or hints on the hide it must be nearly impossible to find an ammo can or pill container size hide.

Where is a good place to get military grade maps?

Hints and that sense help alot. I used google maps and plotted it out best i could. They were all of a trail system so pace count was more of an issue than direction really.

I finally got around to taking this after cancelling on the two previous sessions...

The guy who taught it was great and said he had been doing this for about 25 years, so it may have been the same guy from those of you who said you took the course many years ago. There were a couple of other very friendly and knowledgeable instructors there too.

It was a great course, I definitely learned and re-learned some things.

The course went as follows:

Lecture inside for the first 3.5 - 4 hours.
Went over basic elements of topological maps (measurements, datums, symbols, etc...)
Covered how to use a basic baseplate type compass and get bearings using a map, and how to triangulate your current position.

Field course:
~ 1/2 hour, get step measurement and do some simple exercises to make sure we can point the compass and count our steps correctly
~ 2 - 3 hours - split in to small groups and go through a field course through the woods trying to find ~ 6 markers and end up at the parking area.
~ 1/2 hour - discussion on basic survival gear (fire starting equipment, shelter, etc..) and what to do if lost (don't panic, stay put, don't continue running around etc.. )

~1/2 hour - At the end one of the instructors gave another optional "extra-curricular" section on how to use a slightly different (and his preferred) method to get bearings from a map using a compass with built in declination adjustment. About 1/3 of the class stayed for that (it was definitely worth staying for).

Last edited:
A few things from the "survival" aspect of the course:

The guy who covered this section used to do search & rescue in the Colorado mountains (I can't remember if he specifically said Rocky Mountains or not).
Most of what he said was pretty standard stuff, but a few things I thought were noteworthy was this:

- He said that, when he used to to do search&rescue in CO, in addition to carrying matches + lighter + magnesium everybody would also carry a bottle of Coleman stove gas (white gas). If he couldn't get a fire started by conventional means in short order then just add gas. You will probably have more important things to worry about than getting a fire going - like gathering firewood (because a bigger fire will help you get noticed, and it will be more pleasant/warm) and shelter.

- Shelter: this guy wasn't a big fan of those cheapo mylar space blankets. He thought they were nearly impossible to fold back up decently and aren't that durable. He recommended something like this (if not exactly this): SOL Sport Utility Blanket at REI.com It is more durable, reusable, its not that heavy (although certainly more heavy than those $2 space blankets) has grommets which helps for building a shelter, can be used as a ground cloth for a tent, etc...

- Water: he said he usually just carried a small bottle of clorox bleach to add to water if necessary. Its much cheaper than other means (presumably referring to iodine tablets) and kills all harmful bacteria just the same. Can't remember what proportion he said - I'm sure you can look it up.

Think multipurpose for any survival gear when possible - Hand sanitizer is a good fire starter as well; cotton balls coated with vaseline are good fire starters as well as lip balm, chapstick can also be used for fire starting, alcohol wipes are good for sanitizing cuts as well as fire starting.

Will they take children in the class. I only ask this because a group I am working with his looking for something for kids to d this fall. I think that wound be great

Will they take children in the class. I only ask this because a group I am working with his looking for something for kids to d this fall. I think that wound be great

The course description recommends ages 12 and up.

We split up in to groups of around 3-4 when doing the final field exercise. They tried to split people up so that they would be with strangers - that way you wouldn't have any sort of issues that may go along with husband/wife or parent/child.
If the kids are not genuinely interested in it then they might lose a little enthusiasm after the 2nd hour of plodding around in the woods looking at a compass/map and counting paces.

Also - how many kids? I think there were a little less than 2 dozen people in the class (I remember one instructor counting ~21 at some point) and the classroom was almost full.

Back
Top Bottom