Map & Compass Workshop

plenty of interest for those who may not be on facebook I would give some more details

A FREE informative workshop on how to read a topographical map and how to use a compass. Electronics will only take you as far as their power supply. You need to know the basic map & compass skills for survival. Local outdoors-man, and wilderness rescue team member, Al Lego will teach us how!
Tuesday, October 15 at 7:00pm

Trail Head Outfitters and General Store
1 South Main St.
Orange, MA
(978) 249-8500

Also on Amazon is a great book on how to navigate using a compass. There are plenty of free map sites on the web as well. I downloaded an app to my I Phone that has the topo map feature. They can be downloaded on to your computer and you can print what ever area you wish.

Also buy one compass for map reading and another for trail. Again both on Amazon and are of very good quality. If you do shop on Amazon dont forget to use the Comm2A feature. They receive $$$ from your purchase.

Damn, I missed this class. If another comes about, please post info!! I'm not on Facebook, otherwise I'd follow, or like, or whatever you do to get the info. Myself and a friend would love to attend. Have been looking for such a class.

The book for sale on Amazon is "Be Expert with Map and Compass , The complete Orienteering Handbook, by Bjorn Kjellstrom. The map compass is made by Suunto and is the M-3 model, the hand held compass is Model 3H made by Cammenga and is of military quality.

Compass: Amazon.com: U.S. Issue Mil-Spec Tritium Illuminated Aluminum Military Lensatic Marching Compass: Sports & Outdoors

Book:
Be Expert with Map and Compass: Bjorn Kjellstrom, Carina Kjellstrom Elgin: 9780470407653: Amazon.com: Books

Map Compass:
Amazon.com: Suunto M-3DL Compass: Sports & Outdoors

Remember if you buy from Amazon to use Comm2A they get much needed $$ from each of your purchases.

Last edited:
I did my map and compass learnin' the easy way. I let Uncle Sam teach me.

[smile]

P.S. THEY paid me while they was teachin' me.

Me too ......it was drilled, no pun intended into my head. , this book is a great start for folks. I have read it and recommend it to everybody who has not had military training and thinks their I Phone, Smart phone etc. will get them to and out of anywhere.

The compass was recommended highly and to my surprise it is of excellent quality.

The free topo map app that can be downloaded to your computer to print maps of the area you need is excellent. The key word is FREE!!!!

Me too ......it was drilled, no pun intended into my head. , this book is a great start for folks. I have read it and recommend it to everybody who has not had military training and thinks their I Phone, Smart phone etc. will get them to and out of anywhere.

The compass was recommended highly and to my surprise it is of excellent quality.

The free topo map app that can be downloaded to your computer to print maps of the area you need is excellent. The key word is FREE!!!!

Which app is this? I ordered the book recommended via comm2a amazon link

If you have an I Phone go to your App store and look for "offline Topo Maps by Trailbehind. I believe it is available for other Smart phones as well. Gaia GPS - iPhone & Android - Offline Topo Maps

I tried another called Topo Maps by Phil Endecott however it had so many glitches I dumped it for one recommended by EMS, Eastern Mountain Sports.

TopoQuest - Topographic Maps and Satellite Maps Online limited maps but free

All of them, or I should say most of them can be used with your I phone , Smart phone however I use the download feature and load the maps I download them to my computer and then laminate them to protect them from the elements.

This site can be directly accessed from your computer:
The USGS Store - One stop shop for all your maps, world, United States, state, wall decor, historic, planetary, topographic, trail, hiking, foreign, satellite, digital

same site with more info;US Topo

IMO the above link is the best, I use it when not using my I phone app which doesn't need a cell tower for short hikes etc. However the US Topo is free!!!! and you can download hard copy maps which is what is IMO is the best way to navigate.

I hope this information was helpful.

Last edited:
Damn, I missed this class. If another comes about, please post info!! I'm not on Facebook, otherwise I'd follow, or like, or whatever you do to get the info. Myself and a friend would love to attend. Have been looking for such a class.

I ended up missing it too. I'll post any others that I come across.

Back
Top Bottom