Compass Recomendation??

After recently taking the Mass Hunter Safety course with my friend we came to realize we have NO idea on compass/topo map reading. So, being curious we both signed up for a the free all day map/compass class that is put on by the state. I like to get my own compass for the class, any recomendations?

have this & love it. use it on the boat and atv. i know how to read a map too but this is better.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705
Garmin-Etrex-GPS.jpg

After recently taking the Mass Hunter Safety course with my friend we came to realize we have NO idea on compass/topo map reading. So, being curious we both signed up for a the free all day map/compass class that is put on by the state. I like to get my own compass for the class, any recomendations?

It is an excellent class and you will enjoy it. It is jam packed with information. My suggestions is to wait until after the class to get one. They have them on hand for students to use. I brought the one I use hunting and the dial was not divided finely enough for accurate navigation.

Make sure that you area prepared for ticks as you will spend a part of the day in the field following bearings and finding markers.

Bob

If you can afford it, a Brunton. Very accurate, magnetically damped and available in either 360 degree or 90 degree quadrant markings. Also usable for mapping with the addition of attachments. brunton.jpg

Last edited:
Suunto MC-2 Global is the one you want' You can get the non Global version a for a little less.
Can be used as a signal mirror and an can be used like a lensatic compass, also has an Clinometer

If you can afford it, a Brunton. Very accurate, magnetically damped and available in either 360 degree or 90 degree quadrant markings. Also usable for mapping with the addition of attachments. View attachment 27710

I have a Brunton but I thought it was mainly for surveying? It's a great compass but a bit big. I have a small Silva I keep when I am out tramping about. One comment on the GPS, my Silva got myself and a whole Cub Scout troop out of the woods once when the den leader's GPS failed. It was raining and we were under wet tree canopy and it would not read out. (It read fine though when we finally got back out in the open.) We weren't really lost but it saved us a couple hours by pointing us in the right direction back to the cars.

http://www.thecompassstore.com/military27.html
Have been using mine since 1979.....no complaints whatso ever :)

+1

Reliable, you can get tritium sights for night time navigation, built like a tank, the needle floats nicely, very accurate, and the military uses them for a reason. Because they just work right.

Regardless of what you use, go with a Lensatic style compass. Best for the type of nav work you are planning on.

Hate to highjack the thread, but I have a ton of left over compasses from when I was selling tactical stuff online.

All I remember off hand is that they are RAM brand, the map type (i.e. the kind you can overlay on maps)

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll take a pic and send details.

silva explorer pro is a great compass you will want a good base plate compass for plotting on a map, and navigation . Base plates have a straight edge, usgs scales, and rulers to aid in plotting and will make learning a little easier .

I have had a Silva for 20 years, when the batteries in the handheld GPS run out the Silva always works. I have many hunting miles on my Silva. More miles than deer, but it always got me where I needed to hunt and where I needed to go to get out.

Back
Top Bottom