Comments/Suggestions on my SBR AR build

So I'm looking for some constructive criticism on my first AR build. This is also my first SBR build. Notice I said, first, certainly not my last NFA weapon. [smile]

Acquired So Far:

RRA Stripped Lower
RRA Stripped Upper
Stag Lower Parts Kit
Ace ARFX-E Stock
Hogue Grip
Primary Weapons FSC556 Flash Suppressor(thanks MassMark!)
G&R Tactical BCG
Noveske 7.5" Diplomat Barrel Group
Eotech 512
Timney 4# Skeleton Trigger
YHM 7.0 Diamond Forearm w/ Endcap
NFA Tax Stamp
VTAC Sling
Bobro Engineering Stubby Foregrip
Magpul Trigger Guard
Spike's Tactical ST-T2 Heavy/Tungsten Buffer
Wolff Xtra Power Carbine Spring

Last edited:
So I'm looking for some constructive criticism on my first AR build. This is also my first SBR build. Notice I said, first, certainly not my last NFA weapon. [smile]

Acquired So Far:

RRA Stripped Lower
RRA Stripped Upper
RRA Lower Parts Kit (in process)
Ace ARFX-E Stock w/ carbine buffer/spring
Hogue Grip
Primary Weapons FSC556 Flash Suppressor(thanks MassMark!)
G&R Tactical BCG
Noveske 7.5" Diplomat Barrel Group
Eotech 512
Timney 3# Skeleton Trigger
YHM 7.0 Diamond Forearm w/ Endcap
NFA Tax Stamp
VTAC Sling

Parts in Question:

Tangodown VFG
PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle

My biggest questions right now is there anything better than the Tangodown VFG? What about the Larue FUG? Also, is the Gas Buster charging handle really necessary for $90 or will a $30 Colt take-off work? What major differences between charging handles is there?

TIA

Looks awesome! They are a pricier option, but give Mark LaRue a call about the FUG, (vert grip) - you may find it a nice option...[cheers]

Gas buster is made for containing the blowback from a supressor.Waste of money in my opinion,unless of course your weapon is supressed.But if ya got the money,it certainly wouldn't hurt your weapon.

Last edited:
Looks awesome! They are a pricier option, but give Mark LaRue a call about the FUG, (vert grip) - you may find it a nice option...[cheers]

Jeez is everyone named Mark? I'm debating on whether i want a stubby foregrip or full length one. I'm thinking stubby.....

Gas buster is made for containing the blowback from a supressor.Waste of money in my opinion,unless of course your weapon is supressed.But if ya got the money,it certainly wouldn't hurt your weapon.

Gotcha.....at this point I need to save some $$ on the build so I'm going to be looking for a standard charging handle.[thinking]

Jeez is everyone named Mark? I'm debating on whether i want a stubby foregrip or full length one. I'm thinking stubby.....

Gotcha.....at this point I need to save some $$ on the build so I'm going to be looking for a standard charging handle.[thinking]

Use another $20 for a Badger tac latch on the CH,those things are great.

Use another $20 for a Badger tac latch on the CH,those things are great.

thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

I think the most anxious piece I'm looking forward to receiving is the G&R BCG. According to m4c they say they rival the LMT and in many cases are better.

thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

I think the most anxious piece I'm looking forward to receiving is the G&R BCG. According to m4c they say they rival the LMT and in many cases are better.

I looked into that,and it does look like an awesome set of parts.When they get off backorder I will probably get it.

I looked into that,and it does look like an awesome set of parts.When they get off backorder I will probably get it.

I must have got the last one, i ordered mine on Saturday and right after I ordered it the site read out of stock. [rolleyes]

For $129 for a complete BCG that rivals LMT you can't go wrong.

I got one of G&R's BCGs in last week. I haven't tried it yet (it's rifle doesn't have a fore end or sights yet), but it looks great. Well staked, quality hardware, nice machine work. I should have bought 2!

I got one of G&R's BCGs in last week. I haven't tried it yet (it's rifle doesn't have a fore end or sights yet), but it looks great. Well staked, quality hardware, nice machine work. I should have bought 2!

Great to hear, mine arrives tomorrow according to UPS!

Looks great, if its a SHTF type weapon may go the Aimpoint H-1. More than the eotech but lately Eotech has had some QC issues.

Any links about the EoTech quality issues? I tried searching for info but couldn't find much. Mine seems to be good?

So I made the decision today on the Timney trigger. I've decided against the 3# unit and went with the 4# unit. I figured with the SBR setup I'm going to have I want to have a little bit more of a pull on follow up shots rather than a light pull. Although essentially I think I will notice little to no difference between the two.

I also decided against the Larue FUG and went with the Bobro Engineering stubby grip:

http://www.bobroengineering.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2

c8b74256aacccbfda757804505be3be2.jpg

Last edited:
Been hearing some good things about Bobro stuff, and actually looking at getting a Bobro mount for my Aimpoint optic.

Well, I guess the only way to find out is to try it and buy it which is exactly what I did. Based off arfcom they look pretty good, we'll see.

Just updated my original post, along with the Timney trigger I ordered the magpul trigger guard.

The only pieces I'm missing on order now is the rail system since YHM doesn't take backorders and the LPK since I'm undecided. I don't even need all the parts from the parts so i'm debating or just ordering what i need or ordering the whole kit and trashing the rest.

I sent an email to Andrew asking if he is interested in a formal review. I've done numerous formal reviews and even had a few published in e-mags for the audio industry.

Thought I'd revive this thread back as there has been a little change. I ended up going with a Spike's Tactical ST-T2 Heavy/Tungsten buffer and a Wolff Xtra Power Carbine Spring. Anyone have any experience with either? From the reviews I've read cycle rate and reliability increased tremendously.

The pile of parts continues:

DSC01536.jpg

DSC01539.jpg

The barrel will be 0.5" longer than that handguard in the picture for reference.

Last edited:
Long delay for an update.....

I ended up getting my Approved Form 1 (tax stamp to build SBR) last week and my 7.5" Noveske barrel arrived on Monday. So naturally, me being the impatient me immediately took everything and dropped it off at the local gunsmith for assembly. Holy crap am I excited now.....getting sooooo close. Fwiw, I applied for the tax stamp on 11/8/08. If anyone is looking for a gunsmith to build goodies like this, let me know. He is a class III dealer so it's perfectly OK to leave NFA weapons with him for repair/assembly.

If I could have had a firepig here I would have. *cries*

They are totally badass to say the least. Oh well, FSC556 will have to do.

Went and looked at it today at the shop. WOW. All that's left is to pin the muzzle brake and it's good to go! I should have it back on thursday. The builder said the 100 yard groups were absolutely amazing for a 7" barrel.

Back
Top Bottom