Comm2A Sues over Property Forfeiture

Comm2A

Director Comm2a
Dealer
NES Member
For Immediate Release: 3/28/2012

NATICK, MA – Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc. (Comm2A) has filed suit in federal court in Massachusetts challenging the state’s misuse of bonded warehouses to force the forfeiture of privately owned firearms in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment’s due process guarantees.

Comm2A’s lawsuit on behalf of Russell Jarvis, James Jarvis and Robert Crampton is supported in part by a grant from the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund. Plaintiffs are represented by attorneys David Jensen of New York and Patrick M. Groulx of Somerville, Massachusetts. Defendants are Village Vault, Inc. and Mary E. Heffernan, Secretary of the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security. Complaint

Massachusetts law allows police departments to turn confiscated firearms over to unregulated bonded warehouses who then charge the firearm owners onerous and prohibitive fees for the storage and ‘administration’ of those firearms. Bonded warehouses are authorized to sell these firearms once accumulated fees are in arrears for 90 days.

Massachusetts has failed to regulate bonded warehouses allowing them to levy fees that quickly exceed the value of the confiscated property and virtually assure that confiscated property is forfeit to the bonded warehouse. In many cases gun owners are not properly notified that their property has been transferred to a bonded warehouse until fees have accumulated to a point where they exceed the value of the seized property making their recovery economically irrational.

Valuable firearms belonging to each of the individual plaintiffs were involuntarily transferred to the bonded warehouse operated by defendant Village Vault. Those firearms were subsequently sold at auction by the defendant. In no instance did the plaintiffs have any meaningful opportunity to challenge the forfeiture of their property in a court or other neutral venue. None of individual plaintiffs have ever been convicted of or charged with any crime or are otherwise disqualified from possessing firearms under state or federal law.

Commonwealth Second Amendment (Comm2A) (www.comm2a.org) is a Massachusetts based non-profit dedicated to preserving and expanding the rights of gun owners in the northeast. Our activities include educational programs designed to promote a better understanding of Massachusetts and Federal firearms laws and rights as well as legal action programs to defend and protect the civil rights of Massachusetts gun owners.

Press inquiries should be directed to (617) 942-0660 or [email protected].

Thanks folks. Hey, I need to point out something. Without our supporters donating this would not have happened. Our first cases were funded by SAF, this case is not and we are on the hook for the money. We got a limited matching grant from the NRA and I suspect they will be happy to continue to match funds but that means we need to come up with more as well. So if you are considering donating, now is a great time.

And our next case, which is only a few months away, will be entirely self-funded from Comm2A donors. We need your support now more than ever.

BTW: this does NOT mean we don't have continued support from SAF and others when needed. We will be self-sufficient to make sure we can look out for our own and there will be times when we partner. This year once or twice more we will partner on some exciting things. This year is going to rock if the lawyers can find free time. The possible cases filed could number as much as 5.

[party][banana]

images
images
images

You guys are doing God's work. Well done.

But when I read these lawsuits I get the sinking feeling they're going nowhere in a MA court. I wouldn't be surprised if your answer from the judge was "the fees aren't onerous, and it's the law."

Quick question: I just checked Village Vault's website. It says they're a subsidiary of Village Guns. Is that legal? Can they operate under the Village Gun FFL? They're doing "transfers" of firearms so I thought they'd need their own FFL.

I'm going to attempt to be a monthly donator as soon as I can. Leaving GOAL freed up $75, which is what went towards Comm2A this year.

Great job Comm2A. Exciting to see something moving forward. My Diamond sponsorship is paying off.

So they auctioned off one guy's 30 guns for less than $2700... any chance the buyer was connected to the parent gun store?

That possibility is alluded to in the complaint. I have a feeling discovery will be aimed in that direction.

This is why I have Comm2A on a $25 recurring monthly. [grin]

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel a little sick now since I bought a firearm from these guys listed on GunsAmerica and it was a great price and he did not care if I paid with credit card which is usually pretty strange...

Chris

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom