• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comm2A, SAF, GOAL and FPC file against Baker admin on shop closures

MGL C 140 S 122B
No person shall sell ammunition in the commonwealth unless duly licensed... Every license shall specify the street and number, if any, of the building where the business is to be carried on.

So a MA dealer cannot sell ammo outside of their place of business and cannot ship to a MA resident. An out of state dealer of ammo can just ship into the state.

There is a similar disconnect where a MA dealer cannot recognize your 03 FFL (until 1 Jan 2021) so it is easier to get a off list C&R handgun shipped to a FFL in NH and pick it up there than try and get it from a MA dealer...

Where does it say in that MGL that MA dealers cannot ship directly to MA residents though?

If a MA dealer has a license to sell ammo from the specific address on their license, couldnt they technically open up an online business storefront linked to their licensed business address and be able to ship to MA residents?

To me this is more of a CYA policy as well as a garnering profits strategy on part of MA gun stores rather than an actual legal restrictions against them.

If a MA dealer has a license to sell ammo from the specific address on their license, couldnt they technically open up an online business storefront linked to their licensed business address and be able to ship to MA residents?
The AG has taken the position that a mail order sale takes place at the point of handoff to the end buyer, not the point of transfer to the common carrier.
To me this is more of a CYA policy as well as a garnering profits strategy than an actual legal restrictions.
CYA - you bet. Unreasonable? If you think so, offer the dealer an indemnification contract agreeing to pay all legal fees and fines, if any, incurred as a result of shipping to you, plus lost income if the shop's license to sell ammo or guns is pulled.

Profit garnering - I don't see how turning down an extra sales venue increases profits.
Where does it say in that MGL that MA dealers cannot ship directly to MA residents?
Here, assuming the AG's understanding of "where" is upheld by the courts: Every license shall specify the street and number, if any, of the building where the business is to be carried on.

And finally, remember your (or my opinion) of the law does not count. Only that of those who control how the power of the state is used get to have their viewpoint counted.

Possibly related: Judge rules that strip clubs are businesses and cannot be excluded from collecting relief funds.

Bottom line: you cannot block businesses from collecting government pandemic relief simply because you have a moral objection to the (otherwise legal) business they're in.
Not quite. The decision says (rightly) that only Congress can make those decisions. And Congress didn't make that particular decision when writing the law. The executive branch can't add their own conditions to appropriations.

As a matter of law, Congress and state legislatures have unfettered discretion to decide what to fund and what not to fund. The only conditions Congress can't attach are those that violate the Constitution. It is not a constitutional violation to refuse to fund gun stores in loan programs. To put it another way, the Constitution does not require legislative appropriations for gun stores.

If this was brought to the Supreme Court, it would be a 9-0 decision.

They would lose, 9-0. It's not viewpoint discrimination to decline to subsidize a particular industry.
Courts have held that certain actions are in fact speech and thus protected. Even video, which is not "speech", retain strict scrutiny protection.

Consider if the court decided to subsidize right wing publications but not the left leaning ones? Would that also lose 9-0?

Courts have held that certain actions are in fact speech and thus protected. Even video, which is not "speech", retain strict scrutiny protection.

Consider if the court decided to subsidize right wing publications but not the left leaning ones? Would that also lose 9-0?
Of course certain actions are expressive and are protected under the First Amendment. But there are different standards for government subsidization of speech, as opposed to government cracking down on disfavored speech or speakers, or discriminating between opposing viewpoints.

There's a pretty clear countervailing governmental interest in being able to make choices about what the government pays for, otherwise all legislative appropriations would be subjected to First Amendment challenges.

When it comes to viewpoint discrimination in selectively subsidizing publications, how a court would rule would depend heavily on the specific fact pattern. If the government is not subtle, a court would strike it down. On the other hand, it's hard to claim PBS and NPR are even-handed news sources.

When it comes to viewpoint discrimination in selectively subsidizing publications, how a court would rule would depend heavily on the specific fact pattern. If the government is not subtle, a court would strike it down. On the other hand, it's hard to claim PBS and NPR are even-handed news sources.
Excellent point. Ditto for any other propaganda arm.

The AG has taken the position that a mail order sale takes place at the point of handoff to the end buyer, not the point of transfer to the common carrier.

CYA - you bet. Unreasonable? If you think so, offer the dealer an indemnification contract agreeing to pay all legal fees and fines, if any, incurred as a result of shipping to you, plus lost income if the shop's license to sell ammo or guns is pulled.

Profit garnering - I don't see how turning down an extra sales venue increases profits.

Here, assuming the AG's understanding of "where" is upheld by the courts: Every license shall specify the street and number, if any, of the building where the business is to be carried on.

And finally, remember your (or my opinion) of the law does not count. Only that of those who control how the power of the state is used get to have their viewpoint counted.
Is her position WRT mail order ammo based on state law? Is there a state law passed by by both chambers and signed by gubbemner prohibiting the order of ammo from free states? I am not being sarcastic and have reviewed your responses above. So based on your 5th point, Healey et al simply can say, "because I say so"?

Is her position WRT mail order ammo based on state law? Is there a state law passed by by both chambers and signed by gubbemner prohibiting the order of ammo from free states? I am not being sarcastic and have reviewed your responses above. So based on your 5th point, Healey et al simply can say, "because I say so"?
From the perspective of scaring dealers into doing as she says, absolutely yes.
Is there a state law passed by by both chambers and signed by gubbemner prohibiting the order of ammo from free states?
She claims there is. It is based on the theory that the sale takes place at the location where the common carrier delivers the merchandise, not where it is delivered to the common carrier - and thus it is an "in MA sale" requiring an MA dealer's license for the location at which the ammo is received.

This even though title to the property generally transfers to the buyer at point of handover to the common carrier.

Bottom line is that she simply has to scare the dealers, not convince you.

Rob is correct here... I just want to add, the reason she's dangerous to dealers is, Massachusetts has a catch-all "consumer protection law" called Chapter 93A. This law has been interpreted to allow the AG to undertake "enforcement actions" if she believes a business that caters to the public is violating state law.

There are lots of questions of interpretation here - both interpretation of the law and interpretation of the AG's authority. And the AG is often wrong on one or both. But these lawsuits are extremely expensive to defend against, the MA judiciary may ignore the law anyway, and a loss can result in huge fines. Often the only viable path for gun shops of limited means is conformity.

I very rarely hold any animosity against a dealer who wont sell me something even though I know the sale is legal. I just find someone to sell me what I want elsewhere. Its all a risk assessment game in this state. I wont go to dealer that has screwed gun owners over for their own gain or for any reason.

She claims there is. It is based on the theory that the sale takes place at the location where the common carrier delivers the merchandise, not where it is delivered to the common carrier - and thus it is an "in MA sale" requiring an MA dealer's license for the location at which the ammo is received.

This even though title to the property generally transfers to the buyer at point of handover to the common carrier.

Which makes her a manipulative tyrant

It is based on the theory that the sale takes place at the location where the common carrier delivers the merchandise, not where it is delivered to the common carrier - and thus it is an "in MA sale" requiring an MA dealer's license for the location at which the ammo is received.
Also, some ammo dealers look at the billing address of the credit card. If your CC says Massachusetts but you want to ship to Maine they will not ship. Many don't care and will ship but some are afraid of Chainsaw Healey.

I very rarely hold any animosity against a dealer who wont sell me something even though I know the sale is legal. I just find someone to sell me what I want elsewhere. Its all a risk assessment game in this state. I wont go to dealer that has screwed gun owners over for their own gain or for any reason.
I have a lot of respect for dealers who will say "Yup, I know that's not illegal, but I don't feel comfortable operating at that point on the risk/reward curve, especially since the risk is mine and not yours" but very little for dealers who say "that is illegal" when such is not the case.
Rob is correct here... I just want to add, the reason she's dangerous to dealers is, Massachusetts has a catch-all "consumer protection law" called Chapter 93A.
The fact that the buyer knows exactly what they are getting and want it is not a defense to an "unfair and deceptive trade practice" charge from the AGs office. Under the law, a dealer selling a new Glock to a Glock certified armorer is being "unfair and deceptive" to that buyer.
This law has been interpreted to allow the AG to undertake "enforcement actions" if she believes a business that caters to the public is violating state law.
It's worse than that. The business does not have to be violating any specific state law, but being "unfair" and "deceptive" which means exactly what the AG says it means.

It's worse than that. The business does not have to be violating any specific state law, but being "unfair" and "deceptive" which means exactly what the AG says it means.
True. And the MA marsupial courts defer the AG to interpret the term "unfair or deceptive" according to her own standards.

Basically, the courts are deferential on "unfair or deceptive", and allow the AG to define any state law violation as per se "unfair and deceptive", and defer to her interpretation of any particular state law. They also allow the AG to write 93A regulations on any state-regulated topic without specifically being delegated that power, and once written, the regulations must be deferred to unless a statute unambiguously bars the approach. MA regulatory law is really kind of insane.

I hope our side is getting all their stuff together. You just KNOW the other side is probably doing multiple calls per day, pressuring the judge.

I hope our side is getting all their stuff together. You just KNOW the other side is probably doing multiple calls per day, pressuring the judge.
It doesn't work that way. It's done with a wink and a nod, but much less so with the federal courts than the state ones. The general feeling regarding most gun cases in MA courts is an all-knowing glance between the judge and the state's attorney that communicates "we both know we are wasting our time here, the fix is in".

It's like the arrangement gun magazines have with advertisers. Advertise stuff and you'll find feature articles about your gun in the mag, generally saying good things. Just notice how American Handgunner has feature articles in the same issue as ads for that same brand, but rarely if ever reviews a gun from a company that doesn't advertise unless it's "too significant to ignore" or an out of production relic. But.... if you talk to one of the gunwriters about getting an article in exchange for buying ads you will get a lecture about how it doesn't work that way because they have journalistic integrity. Then you sign an ad contract and the article on your product gets published. The quid pro quo is well understood but never verbalized or written down.

MA AGs have had a penchent for scaring the shit out of out of state (and in state) gun stores without the law to back them up for decades now...all the way back to 1992 with the Wayne Lo shootings (the origin of the "MA OOS Ammo Ban") to the 2016 Healey edict via Pulse shooting/election grand standing.

NEVER EVER FORGET THIS!
WE ALLOW THEM TO, UNTIL THE DAY WHEN "WE" SAY NO MORE!

They just keep bringing that day closer and closer...
This virus will be the best thing for our freedom for future generations, if these politicians stay their course!
We have the numbers and the loathing of our rights and citizens being treated as a second class.

You fight best when you have purpose and will.
This virus is going to be a catalyst.
we can only hope, maybe the sheeple will wake up but I highly doubt it. When I see these sheeple wearing masks as they're walking/running and bicycle riding I just shake my head. I actually saw a guy on a Harley wearing one recently. I just saw people driving cars wearing masks inside their own cars. WTF?

we can only hope, maybe the sheeple will wake up but I highly doubt it. When I see these sheeple wearing masks as they're walking/running and bicycle riding I just shake my head. I actually saw a guy on a Harley wearing one recently. I just saw people driving cars wearing masks inside their own cars. WTF?

I when I see stupid crap like that I just want a bull horn and yell out "MMMM,bbbaaaaaaa!

Don't worry though, do you see any politician's wearing them on tv?
They are better than us!

Or the coppers when they tell someone to put on a mask, when they aren't wearing one themselves...

The majority of gun owners are fudds and will never stand up for themselves, never mind others rights.
They are lazy and can not be bothered wasting their gas unless it's to save a buck or two.

My most memorable day at a gun shop was when a 65 year old or so fudd asked if AR-15's were in stock after the 7/20 reinterpretation bs occurred.
I laughed in his face and said you had your whole life to get one and now you want one?
I was laughing all the way out the front door!

All you have to do is look at the numbers.
Who can't afford $25.00 to join one of a number of organizations that stand up for every firearm owners rights.
Yet, our numbers are so low in some organization, it's a miracle that they even exist with the membership money they bring in.

I love talking with all the people bragging about owning this or that and asking what organizations they belong to?
I don't need them is the most often response.
But they are the first to bitch about some law being passed.

Best defense, is a strong offense.
Someone said that it's a lot harder to go against a law after it has passed as opposed to before.
Correct, I've been watching our rights be eroded by the left since the 90's. I know they're tactics because I used to be one. Like I've said before they have the media which is a HUGE advantage, just look at rabid attacks on the Trump Admin. They can lie, cheat and steal and get away with it because they can write the narrative that reaches the sheeple.

When I see these sheeple wearing masks as they're walking/running and bicycle riding I just shake my head. I actually saw a guy on a Harley wearing one recently. I just saw people driving cars wearing masks inside their own cars. WTF?

You clearly haven't thought about this.

When I'm going to multiple stores, I put on my mask before the first one, and take it off after the last one. That means that I am, in fact, wearing a mask inside my own car when driving between the various stops. I do this because it's kind of a pain in the ass to get the mask on and positioned correctly, so taking it of and putting it on multiple times is a hassle.

Plus, every time you put on or take off a mask you have to touch your face (it's tricky to do it without touching your face) so the fewer times you do it, the better.

'course, if you believe that COVID-19 is a huge international hoax between every country's leadership and the health organizations of the world and the 80k people who have died are actually just fake news, then ... yea, do whatever you want.

You clearly haven't thought about this.

When I'm going to multiple stores, I put on my mask before the first one, and take it off after the last one. That means that I am, in fact, wearing a mask inside my own car when driving between the various stops. I do this because it's kind of a pain in the ass to get the mask on and positioned correctly, so taking it of and putting it on multiple times is a hassle.

Plus, every time you put on or take off a mask you have to touch your face (it's tricky to do it without touching your face) so the fewer times you do it, the better.

'course, if you believe that COVID-19 is a huge international hoax between every country's leadership and the health organizations of the world and the 80k people who have died are actually just fake news, then ... yea, do whatever you want.

Not to derail this, but the mask is about not spreading an infection you may have. It does nothing to protect you from getting infected, but may slow the airborn droplets from spreading when coughing/sneezing/talking. The mask does little to nothing to protect you from others, which is why it is stupid to wear it in your own car or when by yourself (and social distant) like exercising outside.

Not to derail this, but the mask is about not spreading an infection you may have. It does nothing to protect you from getting infected, but may slow the airborn droplets from spreading when coughing/sneezing/talking. The mask does little to nothing to protect you from others,

This is not true.

It is true that a mask that is less than N100 is not 100% effective.

That is not the same thing as "a mask does nothing" A mask will protect you from most droplets, and if a mask is fitted correctly, most of the air you breathe will go through the mask.

No, it's not 100% effective, but they absolutely do help.

If your position is "they're not 100% effective, then why bother?" you should examine your position on carrying a gun or wearing a seatbelt or using a condom.

which is why it is stupid to wear it in your own car or when by yourself (and social distant) like exercising outside.

I was addressing why someone might be seen driving in their own car wearing a mask. (between stops) You're right about being far away from other people though, it's not like nuclear fallout.

I don’t think it’s a hoax and the mask goes on before I enter and off as soon as I exit. The least amount of time I wear it the better. I maintain a distance from most people and touch as little as possible. Wearing a mask while driving seems odd and a bit overly cautious IMO. Which is fine, but not worth the hassle to me. Wearing a mask sucks. I'm also not making it a habit of entering stores back to back. Anyway..

I can understand people who are at a higher risk wearing masks and leaving them on. I get why it looks goofy for someone to be driving alone with a mask or walking alone with a mask but putting it on once and taking it off once reduces the risk of touching your face. Not a bad idea for people who are older or have health problems

Back
Top Bottom