• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

College Graduation Gift Ideas

I finally finished the "Bubba" project for my son's graduation gift.

What began as a shot-out Yugoslavian SKS M59/66 is now a Yugonese (Chinese chromed bore bbl) with a Tapco T-6 stock. What's most amazing is that my lovely wife pitched in and approves!

bubba_004.jpg

bubba_002.jpg

bubba_005.jpg

I am a bit disappointed in the Tapco design, in that it does not allow for the trigger group removal without first detaching the pistol grip. It looks like I might be able to cut some of the grip to make it possible to remove the TG, but I think I'll leave that up to my son.

Range test tomorrow... graduation May 9th. I am blessed that my son likes guns. Too many kids go off to college and get an Anti-2A brainwashing. He, however, gets it!

Last edited:
Thats a cool graduation present...I hope I get somethin like that when I'm done with college in a couple weeks.

Very nice! Love the color of the stock.
Congrats on your son's graduation.

Me and Hanwei's little sister graduates from MIT in the beginning of June.

I'm putting together an AR for her and will be buying her a pistol as well.

Last edited:
Gulp. Now I'm feeling a little cheap giving him the SKS! But it's the thought that counts. Right? Please tell me I'm right....

Congrats on your sister's graduation, as well.

That was definitely not my intention. If anyone got me a gun for any event it would be an incredible gift.

We're doing it because we wanted to make she can own an evil black rifle in case she won't be able to later (AWB)...and we want to make sure she has a carry gun if she needs it. (Zombies or persistent men)

We see them more as necessities that will be labeled as a "gift"

If we can't scrounge up the funds, I will be transferring the lower to her name so she has it. We can build it together at a later time.

But I absolutely will get her a pistol.

She's not as enthusiastic about this hobby as I am. She probably wouldn't own these if they weren't given to her...so I'm trying to spark that enthusiasm by dropping her in.

I'm assuming your son may be taking after you and is an enthusiast, in which case I'm sure he would appreciate the SKS...and go on to buy more on his own.

I also can't wait for the day that all 3 of us take that picture...the one with the 3 of us posing with our AR15's slung across our chests.

It will be going on Facebook as a litmus test for future boyfriends.

[grin][grin][grin]

No offense taken at all! I guess I should have used one of those smilies or something.

Yes, I think it's great that any kid can still have a firearm given to him/her without having to go through transfer/registration/FFL/expensive licensing/etc. And that the graduating college-aged owner isn't all pumped up by the gun control nuts.

We are blessed with our relatives who want to shoot, regardless of the prestige of any particular gun. I'm sure the SKS will get a lot of pleasurable range time with Dear Ol' Dad (and Mommy, too!).

In Peace! Martin.

A very happy college grad with his gift.

graduation_034.jpg

Smoke out the muzzle!

graduation_030.jpg

Yet to go will be the drop-free bolt modification which will allow the Tapco 20 round mag to be inserted as a detachable. But when that is done, the SKS will also be 922(r) compliant.

He's still got a long way to go on form though - 8 inch groups at 50 yards. Dear old (and $60k lighter for tuition) dad put all ten in the 4" black circle. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom